Who will the closure hurt more?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by NOLAGATOR, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Spurdog98

Spurdog98 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $741
    Ratings:
    +737 / -37
    So your position is that is will make NO positive impact? Really? NONE? That BS pal.

2. shabadoo25

shabadoo25 Active Member

Oxbucks:
    $40
    Ratings:
    +37 / -356
    Border crossings are at a 45-year low. It's like saying there is no bigger city crime problem than jaywalking. Misplaced priorities.

3. Spurdog98

Spurdog98 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $741
    Ratings:
    +737 / -37
    Can provide a citation for that? DUI is a 45 year low as well, you support lowering the fines/punishment?

4. no1g8r

no1g8r Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,183
    Ratings:
    +1,215 / -27
    While illegal border crossings may be down, a large problem is that families with children are illegally crossing, which is MUCH more difficult to manage. 20 years ago, less than 2% of illegal crossings were by families with children. 39% of illegal crossings are now families with children. Detention and processing weren't designed to handle this.

Crossing legally through proper ports of entry allows for orderly processing and entry. It allows the US to manage immigration flow and to weed out bad hombres and other undesirables, while ensuring fair entry and immigration status to those who abide by US immigration laws and regulations.

I'm assuming that no one on this forum leaves their front door open (not just unlocked, but open) 24x7x365? Having unsecured borders is the same thing. Anyone can come in, anytime they wish, for any purpose, good or bad, without us having any idea of who they are or why they are here.

• Windy City Gator

Windy City Gator Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
      $990
      Ratings:
      +1,070 / -233
      What is the plan for Canada then? Or the coast lines? Those are unsecured borders....More terrorists on the terrorist watch list enter through Canada than the Southern Borders. If this is TRULY about safety and "National Emergency" than why aren't the pubs pushing for a Northern Border? It's called hypocrisy and playing on the misplaced fear.

We need border security North and South and East and West. We need SMART border security. A wall/fence is not a smart way to spend money. Spend the money to upgrade the technology and hire more border agents and train them properly.

But if you REALLY want to build a wall, be consistent and built one in Canada too.

• NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR Deep Behind Enemy Lines

Oxbucks:
      $2,366
      Ratings:
      +2,388 / -225
      We have 10's of thousands crossing the Southern border...how many are swimming from Europe, Africa, or China?

The fence is to funnel people to the border entries.

• no1g8r

no1g8r Well-Known Member
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $1,183
      Ratings:
      +1,215 / -27
      I re-read my post to see if I accidentally said something about terrorists in there. Nope! I talked about how the nearly 40% of illegal immigrants are now families (women & children) versus just 2% 20 years ago, about how our system isn't designed to handle that, and being circumvented to cause massive numbers of people to enter without any idea of who they are or why they are here.

There are not massive numbers overwhelming the system coming in from our northern border. And apparently we have a pretty good handle on who is, because, as you state, "More terrorists on the terrorist watch list enter through Canada than the Southern Borders". Obviously we know who THEY are, and are able to track them.

I'm not out there saying that all illegal immigrants are bad people. Many are, but most are not. But one thing they do have in common is that their first act when they enter US soil is to break the law, because their means and location of entry is illegal.

When we see large numbers congregating at the border, or caravans pushing up from Central America, we aren't seeing people who appear to be seeking assimilation into the US, they are carrying their home country's flags and chanting as if they are invading. This doesn't happen at legal points of entry, it happens at the easy crossing points, where it literally takes less than 1 minute to wade across the shallow parts of the Rio Grande to get into the US. That's where the wall belongs, where it will either deter people from coming across altogether, or route them to legal ports of entry.

• flg8rfan

flg8rfan Member

Oxbucks:
        $79
        Ratings:
        +77 / -1
        I think it’s silly to allow the government to grind to a halt over a spending project that’s 0.098% of our federal budget.

I think it’s even sillier when democratic leadership tries to explain that this isn’t political when many of them, in recent years, have voiced the merits of a wall. It’s totally political, and the plea to refund the government first and then we’ll debate the wall is a load of BS.

While I wish President Trumo would be more presidential, I’m kind of glad to see the party growing some balls (albeit kicking and screaming about it), and finally not bowing to the lefty attack machine.

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Come get Papa Bear!!!!
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $35,237
        Ratings:
        +59,750 / -2,392
        They are pretty polite and generally follow the rules.

That having been said, the last time I was in Toronto I thought I took the wrong plane and landed in Riyadh. Vancouver, Singapore. Things may be changing.

• Ancient Reptile

Ancient Reptile Senior Member
          Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
          $3,534
          Ratings:
          +4,214 / -287
          This is the most puzzling aspect to my mind. Why would anyone not want organization and regularity? It's humane and an obvious positive.

• alcoholica

alcoholica Banned
            BANNED

Oxbucks:
            $3,801
            Ratings:
            +10,797 / -462
            People really get sidetracked on the issue. Mainly because the liberals don't want closed borders, because they're told they don't want it. The political side is really two pronged: 1) the left lost the blue collar voters so they don't care about protecting them and need to manufacture more votes 2) they would see a barrier as a win for Trump and they don't want that.

The truth of the matter is that border security is just like your house. Ask any police officer how to protect your home and they all say the same thing. Criminals are lazy, so make it harder to break into than your neighbors: lock your doors, add exterior lighting, cut your shrubs, etc. The metaphor here is to make it harder than it's worth to try to break in. Comprehensive border security is more than just a wall. It's layers upon layers of motivating people to not try. This includes making clear laws defining citizenship that prevents citizenship by simply being born here.

Back to the house metaphor. When people break into a house, they typically don't break in thru a wall. They go thru a door or window. Which is why alarm companies put senors on doors and windows and why people who are serious about security are buying hurricane glass, more secured doors, and harder to breech locks. It's layered even on a residential level. Security camera systems are becoming much more prevalent.

A barrier is necessary to funnel the activity to other points, like the ports of entry, where there can be a more efficient use of our resources.

Now if you want to have an actual discussion on the merits of border security, that would be a longer post. So just watch what your Dems have said in the past about it before you post.

• Theologator

Theologator Enchanter

Oxbucks:
              $3,844
              Ratings:
              +4,584 / -46
              Encouragements and enticements to illegal immigration are indeed inhumane. That aspect of this issue is ridiculously underreported. Those migrants are horribly at risk. I met a Honduran boy who narrowly escaped after being kidnapped and imprisoned by a Mexican organ harvesting facility. Human trafficking of girls and children as sex slaves is a huge issue.