Who you gonna call? Ghostbusters props creation thread

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I go from one hobby to another, never really slowing down. Two months ago I bought a 3D printer and have been going nuts printing stuff. I've had so much fun that I bought a second one. While I haven't delved into creating my own material, there are thousands of things online already designed and read to go. I'll post some of my earlier prints in another thread, but I want to keep this one on topic for Ghostbusters equipment. I've always loved it and I've always wanted to display it. So, I started with the ghost trap and I'm getting close to assembling it.

Image-2-1.jpg

I am combining the 3D printed parts with hardware and decal sets bought on the internet. Now, I could have just printed the parts and screwed them together, but on close inspection, 3D printed parts are obvious - they have clear stacked lines on them.

Image-3.jpg

I wanted this to look like actual metal, so I am using putty on every visible piece, sanding it down, priming it and painting it. Needless to say, this adds a LOT of time to the process.

More pics to come.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Some completed pics minus the electronics, which I'm waiting for in the mail. Will update when those are installed. Turned out fabulous, a great display item for years to come.

Image-13.jpg

Image-1-7.jpg

Image-2-4.jpg

Image-3-2.jpg

Image-4-1.jpg

Image-5-1.jpg

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Turned out great. Can't wait to see it once the electronics are hooked up. Are you going to do a video for that?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Coming up next: the pedal and hose. :faint:

After that, the big one....the proton pack. That one will take a while.

il_1588xN.2456217607_gupn.jpg

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I thought the Gen X’ers on this board would appreciate these awesome props, but I stand corrected yet again. What a group of total asshats around here.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’m completely confused, quite honestly. You’re telling me you printed all of these items with a 3D printer?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I’m completely confused, quite honestly. You’re telling me you printed all of these items with a 3D printer?
95% yes. Things like hoses, stickers, and some various items can be purchased in kits and such.

To keep the items from looking 3D printed on close inspection, I have to fill, sand, and paint them so they look like metal.

The proton pack is the current project. It's huge and is going to take weeks.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Does trap open when you step on pedal? If so does it close when pedal is released?
Not a huge ghostbusters fan but the mechanical stuff intrigues me, planning on a 3d printer soon.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Does trap open when you step on pedal? If so does it close when pedal is released?
Not a huge ghostbusters fan but the mechanical stuff intrigues me, planning on a 3d printer soon.
No, although you can rig them to do just that electronically. It's just a display piece, that wouldn't be worth the cost to me.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
95% yes. Things like hoses, stickers, and some various items can be purchased in kits and such.

To keep the items from looking 3D printed on close inspection, I have to fill, sand, and paint them so they look like metal.

The proton pack is the current project. It's huge and is going to take weeks.

Can you take a picture of something you’ve printed that’s raw? Before you sand and fill.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Can you take a picture of something you’ve printed that’s raw? Before you sand and fill.
Straight from the printer:
Image-2.jpg

After putting on putty:
Image-1-1.jpg

After sanding:
Image-2-1.jpg

After priming:
Image-3-1.jpg

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wow, that’s amazing. Where do you get templates for printing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.