Why are we so low on plays per game?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
400+ yards/game is needed. Really more like 450. What bothers me is that this offense just feels more productive than the last two regimes. But when you look at total offense while the stat is better it's not a whole lot better. So digging a little deeper:

Total Offense 105th
Plays per game 109th
Points per game 71st
Yards per play 95th

Total Offense 109th
Plays per game 110th
Points per game 97th
Yards per play 100th

So typical Chump and Shark Humper years. We sucked at everything.

We're 6 games in and have played 4 SEC teams so the stats are now a little more meaningful.
Total Offense 89th
Plays per game 127th

As we know total offense (total yards) hasn't improved that much and we are actually running a few less plays.

Points per game 49th
Yards per play 32nd

But then we are scoring more ~ a TD per game and we are getting 1 yard more per play. So we are doing more with less plays. The question I have is why are we so low on plays per game? :dunno:

Just one more series per game would do wonders. Defensively we are 76th in plays allowed per game. Does the defense need to do a better job of getting the ball back? I'm open to suggestions.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
The creator of Huck Finn explained it thusly. There are lies, damned lies and statistics. Ws & Ls is my favored math regarding this glorious return to relevance

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A couple of things, Mullens is keeping it slow to help Franks. Mullens has done wonders with him, but he still struggles if he gets past his checkdown. Doesn't want him to feel he needs to push the pace.

The other would be field position, as you can see, we are way up in yards per play. We've been getting turnovers or flipping the field in our favor, but when you have short fields, (TN game for ex) you don't get long drives to help your total ypg.

For what our roster is, these are great numbers, we are improving every game!

Go Gators!!

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It’s a combination of having a lot of 3 & outs, not running up tempo, defense giving up extended drives, defense forcing turnovers deep in the opponent’s territory and/or scoring themselves, and special teams touchdowns. It really seems like our offense either goes 3 & out or scores most of the time.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mullinz doesnt run tempo, ever, it isnt just Franks.

It is what it is. He has always run the meerkat offense and likely always will. He lines them up, they all look to the sideline and get the play with 10 seconds to go based on numbers in the box by the defense.

You just cant run a lot of plays that way.

It is also always going to cause a lot of false starts bc it is a lot of time for OL to hold their stances, as several of our game analysts have already noted.

Nomadigator

Veni vidi facepalmi
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2018
Mullinz doesnt run tempo, ever, it isnt just Franks.

It is what it is. He has always run the meerkat offense and likely always will. He lines them up, they all look to the sideline and get the play with 10 seconds to go based on numbers in the box by the defense.

You just cant run a lot of plays that way.

It is also always going to cause a lot of false starts bc it is a lot of time for OL to hold their stances, as several of our game analysts have already noted.

First time reader of the term "meerkat offense" so did a smidgen of due diligence. Supposed coined origin of the term with pros and cons explained in the link. Thanks Donk!

49ers find success with Meerkat offense vs. Panthers

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Good thread and hard to believe we are winning with so few plays. Imagine if our D did not create TOs?

I wonder what CDM and Co think of our low play count and if they are concerned about it or if somehow it is that they are coaching around some other deficiencies or weaknesses. Maybe we just don't have enough offense ready to run 70 plays?

Defense and STs baby.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
While Swonkey is right about slower pace by Mullen, I think you also have to take in account that in a few games like MSU, we literally only had three possessions in the first half primarily by design of MSU. LSU ran a ton of clock as well.

I don't think we will ever be a high paced offense but I expect some of this to pick up when we play teams like Methzou and USCe

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Let the data speak to you. I'm not going to delve into the reasons our numbers are low.
In short, I just think some of these stats are overrated. It's one of those things akin to Time Of Possession. People seem to think they're more important than they really are. In all my years of coaching I have never cared about plays per game. My focus is more on making the ones that you do have count.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Let the data speak to you.

giphy.gif

YwXT.gif

data-star-trek-really-gif-12004051

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
like Methzou and USCe
Methzu.... I like it. Gonna steal it if I can remember.

Mushcucks? You think Ole Chimp is running something other than a time of possession offense?

BostonGator84

Founding Member
Infrequent Frequenter
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Played around with the statistics just for kicks. Some thoughts:

We've run 367 plays, and our opponents have run 411. The biggest disadvantaged games were Colorado State and Tennessee. CSU ran 39 more plays than us, and UT ran 26 more than us. What do these have in common? We have short fields, so fewer plays to get to the end zone. The other games we are fairly even - we ran 8 more than MSU, and 4 fewer than LSU. We ran 10 more than Kentucky, and only 7 more than Charleston Southern.

We've had 70 non-kneeling possessions, and our opponents have had 75. Why? We've scored on special teams a few times and kneeled out the game a few times. So I'm not concerned about the comparison here. Interestingly, though, we score an average of 2.9 points per possession, while only allowing an average of 1.2 points per possession. Again, this sounds like a good stat.

Similarly, points per play - we score an average of 0.55 points per play, while the opponents score an average of 0.22 points per play.

Anything else? Yards per play? We have 6.22 yards per play, our opponents have 4.09 yards per play.

Long story short - I think our offense is doing just fine. Could they be doing better? Sure. But the slower tempo is leading to more efficient plays, possessions, and point totals.

Attachments

• Gator Stats.pdf
    11.1 KB · Views: 48

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Points per possession is a garbage stat. If you score 14 points and go three and out the rest of the time, you might have a great yard per play. It means nada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.