Why aren't we giving the ball to Debose?

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
I completely understand that the game plan changed a bit with JD's poor play in the first half. However after the first game Muschamp said that Debose and Powell needed the ball in their hands in space more. He said they needed to be a bigger part of the offense. Where were they in the Kentucky game?? I'm not so concerned with Powell, but Debose has been deadly in the return game. He needs the ball in space, period. I understand that Robinson was deadly, but you would think that when he gets double covered it leaves 1 on 1 for Debose (remember his deep TD against Bama on the first play a few years ago). I only bring this up because Muschamp himself said that they'd be getting the ball more after game 1. I don't recall Debose getting any passes thrown his way. You know he's gotta take a couple quick screens or slants to the house if he makes the first guy miss...

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Good question. I also noticed that Debose and VH3 were alternating on punt returns instead of Debose taking them all. I think Debose may have been dinged up a little on one of his returns when he ran into the UF bench, but they were alternating before that. Who knows

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
For a guy who supposedly struggled to grasp the playbook, I'm guessing that giving him a 4th different system in his tenure here isn't exactly smooth sailing. Not knocking him, because players often do take a while to get a new system. We've just compounded the problem each year. So I'd guess he makes a few critical mistakes in practice that worry the coaches against the better programs that can (and will) make us pay.

I kept waiting for a jet-sweep to him at some point Saturday. But I think Uk's improved speed worried them. And it was probably the right call, as it seemed like anytime we didn't just go straight ahead, we'd lose yards.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
Fishon;n53061 said:
Good question. I also noticed that Debose and VH3 were alternating on punt returns instead of Debose taking them all. I think Debose may have been dinged up a little on one of his returns when he ran into the UF bench, but they were alternating before that. Who knows

Yeah he looked dinged up when he crashed into the bench. But he hadn't seen a single touch before that. He should take at least 1 jet sweep and a couple screens every game imo. We know he can run deep. Why not take some shots with him running deep instead of just Dunbar all the time? Heck Brantley got the ball to him deep against Bama......

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I flipped when I saw VH3 on returns.

Agree that both Debose and Powell need more involvement.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I also would like to see Debose get the ball more, but Robinson really was open all day. It's not like he was making his catches in double coverage. If the guy is open and Driskel can make the correct read then I don't care if he is the only receiver who catches the ball.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n53067 said:

VHIII is only back there on PR when they have to line someone up on the 10 to decide to catch or let it bounce into the endzone. Coaches trust his hands the most on the team...he is not going to return them. Though his decision making leaves a lot to be desired. He is supposed to stand on the 10 anything over his head he lets go...catch everything else. At least 2 maybe 3 times through the first 2 games he's caught balls that went over his head.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
They said a linebacker got stuck on Pittman a few times during the KY game - imagine if that was Debose - he would have been wide open I would think.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n53081 said:
They said a linebacker got stuck on Pittman a few times during the KY game - imagine if that was Debose - he would have been wide open I would think.
and maybe catch the ball

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE- said:
Gator Fever;n53081 said:
and maybe catch the ball
or get it thrown to him

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE- said:
Gator Fever;n53081 said:
and maybe catch the ball
Pittman was wide open on the very first drive of the game from the slot and he dropped a perfectly thrown ball that would have extended the drive and gotten some serious yac. Instead we punt.

GatorFin

Jul 24, 2014
-THE DUDE- said:
williston_gator;n53067 said:

VHIII is only back there on PR when they have to line someone up on the 10 to decide to catch or let it bounce into the endzone. Coaches trust his hands the most on the team...he is not going to return them. Though his decision making leaves a lot to be desired. He is supposed to stand on the 10 anything over his head he lets go...catch everything else. At least 2 maybe 3 times through the first 2 games he's caught balls that went over his head.
Nail on the head. He's the possession guy deep. If we expect to catch one outside of our 15-20 Debose gets a crack at it. Also agree on the decision making by VH3. he fair caught a few near our 5. Let them go and force the gunner to make a play on the one.

GatorFin

Jul 24, 2014
-THE DUDE- said:
Gator Fever;n53081 said:
and maybe catch the ball
That drop really changed the dynamic of the game. Driskel barely looked his way the rest of the night.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think he was still banged up from the week before; however, he didn't help his case for more playing time with the multiple drops against EMU. I'm sure he'll get more action this Saturday though.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE- said:
Gator Fever;n53081 said:
and maybe catch the ball
This is where Driskel needs to have a short memory. He had Pittman open on 2nd down on the second to last drive in the middle of the field and ended up taking a sack. Everybody has drops.. you still have to throw them the ball.

I do agree that the drop impacted the game. We were driving right down the field and that was a first down plus yardage. If we score there it can change the whole complextion of the game because now UK is on their heals.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have been wanting to see him in a role similar to what Patton did in 2012. The occasional jet sweep to catch the defense napping. He has shown he cant be trusted to run a route and catch the ball but he is still a great athlete that should get the ball a few times a game.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
8802Gator;n53113 said:
I have been wanting to see him in a role similar to what Patton did in 2012. The occasional jet sweep to catch the defense napping. He has shown he cant be trusted to run a route and catch the ball but he is still a great athlete that should get the ball a few times a game.

^ This! A couple of jet sweeps and maybe a go route to keep them honest.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
8802Gator;n53113 said:

Great point. He's never going to be a possession receiver but the kid is deadly with the ball in his hands. One solid block or missed tackle and he's gone...

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE- said:
Gator Fever;n53081 said:
and maybe catch the ball
First game against EMU Dunbar had a big drop and Driskel went back to him on the very next play. He just may not have seen Pittman open the rest of the game or it never made it that far in his progression from Robinson. Robinson was killing it all game and as we saw the vast majority of the targets went his way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator