Why aren't we giving the ball to Debose?

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbreath;n54525 said:
I dunno, guys. The kid has hands of stone. Or, alligator arms. As a receiver, it seems like he can't even catch AIDS in a Bangkok brothel......which is odd, because he is very reliable fielding kicks.

Though I agree, getting the ball in his hands more is something we need to do. He's fast and shifty and a threat to go the distance each time he touches it.

Hands of stone? His hands seem to work fine. I actually think on those overthrows from Driskel to Dunbar, if it's Debose running the routes, those balls aren't overthrown. We'll probably see Dunbar run in the 4.6 to 4.65 range at the NFL Combine if he's invited, Debose will be sub-4.5. Dunbar has decent speed, but he doesn't play fast. I've also noticed Dunbar slows himself down by turning his body and looking back. Debose can fly and he'll go get those deep balls much better, as this clip shows.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE- said:
Gator Fever;n53081 said:
They said a linebacker got stuck on Pittman a few times during the KY game - imagine if that was Debose - he would have been wide open I would think.
and maybe catch the ball
Robinson and Dunbar have both had drops and continue getting the ball. Driskel is obviously just more comfortable throwing to them.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n54576 said:
Hands of stone? His hands seem to work fine. I actually think on those overthrows from Driskel to Dunbar, if it's Debose running the routes, those balls aren't overthrown. We'll probably see Dunbar run in the 4.6 to 4.65 range at the NFL Combine if he's invited, Debose will be sub-4.5. Dunbar has decent speed, but he doesn't play fast. I've also noticed Dunbar slows himself down by turning his body and looking back. Debose can fly and he'll go get those deep balls much better, as this clip shows.

I recall lots of drops by him when he was in the rotation - thinking his hands (and apparent inability to grasp the playbook) made waste of his speed and game quickness. I remember thinking we should ONLY use him to stretch the field - no crossing routes, no sideline routes or comebackers. Maybe the occasional WR or bubble screen to see if he can make a play with his legs.

You see him differently?

If you do, I hope you're right. He's exciting to watch and difficult to catch when he has the ball.

spook

Founding Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE- said:
williston_gator;n53067 said:
I flipped when I saw VH3 on returns.

Agree that both Debose and Powell need more involvement.
VHIII is only back there on PR when they have to line someone up on the 10 to decide to catch or let it bounce into the endzone. Coaches trust his hands the most on the team...he is not going to return them. Though his decision making leaves a lot to be desired. He is supposed to stand on the 10 anything over his head he lets go...catch everything else. At least 2 maybe 3 times through the first 2 games he's caught balls that went over his head.
Law, your buddy Muschamp even directly said so much...I think you are 100% correct about that.

O

OnlyGatorz

Founding Member
Founding Member
ATXGator said:
I also would like to see Debose get the ball more, but Robinson really was open all day. It's not like he was making his catches in double coverage. If the guy is open and Driskel can make the correct read then I don't care if he is the only receiver who catches the ball.
Agreed

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator said:
This is like 4 offensive coordinators that don't feel comfortable giving him alot of pt. Not that they were all good coordinators but they probably seen him in practice more than us.
Dubose has mostly been a bust. He reminds me of John Capel but maybe a tad smarter (I said maybe). Maybe, like Capel forgetting to run in the final in the Olympics (he thought there was a false start), Dubose forgets to show up in every practice. He is now what -- a 10th year red shirt.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Dubose has mainly been a Dog as a receiver. He's been here forever, and every year he becomes invisible -- either hurt or riding the pine. Remember all the hype in his recruitment. Another Percy Harvin? Percy turned out to be a 10 star and Dubose a 2 star.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator said:
This is like 4 offensive coordinators that don't feel comfortable giving him alot of pt. Not that they were all good coordinators but they probably seen him in practice more than us.
Lol true

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Are we still doing this?

Let me make it simple for the slow learners on here:

retarded-boy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users