Why do we keep playing Powell?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
My intention isn't to rip on him, as he's been well behaved and plays hard. He simply isn't really valuable at doing anything. If you hand off to him, he goes down instantly. He doesn't really have good hands and his route running is lousy. He can't return punts or kicks.

Honestly, the only good thing I can ever remember him doing is the block that helped spring Calloway on that winning TD against UT last year.

Is there no one else we can play?

Discuss.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Because CJ Worton is still looking to make that next jump, and Mac apparently does not like playing too many freshman.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A- The staff likes him
B- Alvin Bailey was a bust
C- Massey injury
D- All of the above

Go Gata

Founding Member
aka Emersom Bigguns
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Because Rivals had him as a 4 star recruit coming out of high school.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Probably because he tears it up in practice? The guy slips on every catch or carry.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
You can bet if he does actually catch the ball which I'd say is about half the time he's targeted it's going to be at least 5 yards short of the first down marker. And even then he immediately runs horizontal and falls down. I'm beginning to think he's got the rules confused with ultimate frisbee.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Well, this is pretty much our offense. Goolsby is averaging around 4.6 ypc, which is unbelievable for a TE. Callaway's ypc is terrible, regardless if teams are "double covering" him or whatever excuse for the poor production is. I'd say Powell is playing because there's literally no one else!

I was hoping Massey would have an impact, but honestly this offense just stinks. Weather it's play calling, execution, lack of play-makers, poor OL play, bad QB play, whatever it is....this offense is as bad as anything we've seen the last 7 years. It's probably the worst we've seen since Meyer 2010. None of Muschamp's offenses were this bad (go look at the numbers if you don't believe me).

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Last year vs ut and ol miss, he made some big catch and runs. It appears they don't let him go 5 yds past the LOS anymore.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
Idk honestly, I get that he has explosive ability, but his play this year has been average at best. He catches 50% of balls thrown to him, and trips on himself when he runs. For being small you'd think he'd be able to run past people and juke them, yet his best plays so far have been going for 5 yards and getting tackled once somebody puts a finger on him. I hope massey is better next year, but in the meantime why even bother to use him he's not really a threat. I'd like it more if they utilized fulwood's height or some of the freshman receivers to give them experience.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He should exclusively return kicks, that's it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Really, the same can be said for Callaway. All hype very few catches, lots of oops wrong routes, slips, and drops.

Callaway is more of a slot receiver anyway.

Powell is a CB.

Last edited:

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My intention isn't to rip on him, as he's been well behaved and plays hard. He simply isn't really valuable at doing anything. If you hand off to him, he goes down instantly. He doesn't really have good hands and his route running is lousy. He can't return punts or kicks.

Honestly, the only good thing I can ever remember him doing is the block that helped spring Calloway on that winning TD against UT last year.

Is there no one else we can play?

Discuss.

Great question. They keep playing him because
  1. Massey got hurt.
  2. he gives great effort.
  3. he has produced results, though most of them were last year.
  4. he blocks well (and with great effort).
  5. nobody else has displaced him.
To number 5, he doesn't play every down does he? When he's out and someone else is in, we haven't seen them light the world on fire. I would agree that he hasn't had as many big plays this year and I'm disappointed in that, but I'm not sure who we have that would be better than him.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Give him to Tom Brady and see what happens. Dallas seems to know what to do with Beasley just fine. Don't blame Powell for a ****ty QB/OL situation. Frankly, I don't know why we bother playing any of or WR. Maybe they will let us play more OL and less WR.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Don't blame Powell for a ****ty QB/OL situation. Frankly, I don't know why we bother playing any of or WR. Maybe they will let us play more OL and less WR.
Exactamundo......Hell, he was getting All Conference votes up until the time Butters threw Grier under the bus....Amazing what WR's look like with a stud QB on the field......

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.