Why Is there not more talk about the clock?

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The refs added seven seconds to the clock. Surely UF is not the only defense to drag their tails getting out of a pile with time running out. I have never, never seen that happen before. I could ALMOST understand them throwing a flag but I didn't think Florida was quite brazen enough to have warranted a penalty. I cannot understand for the life of me, how the refs can just add time to the clock to give the other team enough time to kick the game winner? Feels like the Tennessee game, eleven years ago when we got totally screwed by officiating. How that crew kept their jobs, I'll never know.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
It was the proper call...we were not even trying to get off the pile. If the roles were reversed I would want the same call. Sorry but we were deliberately trying to stall. We should have been hit with a delay of game penalty.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Like I said, I could have seen a flag maybe. But in all my years of watching football, I've never seen time added to the clock like that. No doubt we were trying to stall but that's the gamble to you take when you run the ball with no timeouts and only seconds remaining.

And you're right, if the show was on the other foot, Id want a penalty or something to give us a chance. I also have no doubt that if the role was reversed, there would have been no flag...and no time added to the clock. And today, we'd all be screaming about Muschamp being so stupid to run the ball with no time outs, knowing LSU was gonna slowly and deliberately drag their butts out of the pile. It would be a different discussion entirely.

Officials hate us. Football gods hate us. :cry2:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It seemed a bit pointless. I could understand if the rest of LSU was lined up and ready, but they were just standing around waiting. It seemed like an odd call, but the officiating wasn't the best the entire game. I would rip on our defense some, but it's hard to stop the run when you are being held every play. Feel free to rip on the secondary, but nothing was called in favor of the front 7

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Politely disagree..we were blatantly obvious. 24 seconds is MORE than enough time to call a running play then spike it. It just is...

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Part of the reason some of them were standing around instead of being lined up is b/c others were on the bottom of the pile and not being allowed to get back up by our guys. That was probably the real reason they added time, b/c we were actively keeping their players from getting back to the LOS. Normally I would agree about it being a flag for delay of game, but in this instance, a flag does nothing to penalize the team since it doesnt change the clock. We would take a delay of game all day if it meant a flag comes out while the clock runs out. Would it mean a 5 yard advancement of the ball and an untimed down since a flag can't finish the game? Perhaps, but in that instance, they are even closer to the goal posts so the way it went down was actually the best case for us. You just cant allow a precedent to be set that if a play happens as the clock winds down, that the defense can simply hump the football or any opposing players in the vicinity like a bunch of horny chimps until time hits zero. Whether it was a flag and an untimed down or a few seconds back on the clock and no penalty, either was appropriate in my opinion.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It was the right call. This team has a blistering, infected cyst at the top of its team. And it needs to be excised.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
It was irrelevant anyway - LSU was lined up to snap it with 3 seconds left and would have been able to spike the ball with time remaining. Hell, the extra seconds allowed us to have a kick return, giving us a chance. We should actually be thanking the refs for that.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
The timing was unfortunate but I did understand it they explained it clearly. Now if there is really such a rule might be a question but I bet that there is. They should have thrown a flag to indicate something illegal happened. Now the time is no excuse and I bet we would have been toast in OT. Champ should have gone for the win by getting a TD on fourth down, run a similar option play again. Jeff ran it correctly but another drop prevented victory.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There is such a rule. It's called delay of game. We probably should have been flagged and given up 5 yards. I think they just didn't want the five yards to be the difference.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Let's focus on the big picture... Interim Coach and start the Freshman the rest of the games.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I am not about to complain about the clock when we had every chance to win that game and literally dropped the ball. You get some calls you dont get others. Good teams find a way to overcome.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Normally that would be the big topic. But this group of "fans" have a hate agenda so strong they won't be swayed from bashing two individuals no matter how the game plays out. Pathetic.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n77489 said:
But this group of "fans" have a hate agenda so strong they won't be swayed

100% agree. We hate watching our beloved Gators sink to the bottom of relevancy due to a head coach who isn't qualified for the job here. Hate, hate, hate, hate it.

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
Coach9;n77489 said:
Normally that would be the big topic. But this group of "fans" have a hate agenda so strong they won't be swayed from bashing two individuals no matter how the game plays out. Pathetic.

Why are you still defending this grease fire?

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n77489 said:

Muschamp excuse 412.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n77489 said:
:facepalm:

I love fan snobbery. :snob:

You have a love agenda so strong you won't be swayed from how you feel about them no matter how bad they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.