Why Muschamp will be here next season

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n81488 said:
But I would be much less opposed to him getting one last year than I am right now.
After everything you've said over the past several months (including claiming we should "kill it with fire"), I find it hard to believe you when you say this. You've always been too nice, never wanting to say anything too controversial. I think you want the guy gone, regardless of a strong finish. I sure as hell do. I have no reason to believe we're going to be a genuine contender under Will Muschamp, even if you give him 10 years. He cannot evaluate talent, either with assistant coaches or players, and isn't any good at "coaching 'em up" anyway. He's going to be a career assistant after his tenure with Florida is up. It's where he belongs.

It's really a moot point, because we aren't even going to sniff a strong finish.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n81499 said:
After everything you've said over the past several months (including claiming we should "kill it with fire"), I find it hard to believe you when you say this. You've always been too nice, never wanting to say anything too controversial. I think you want the guy gone, regardless of a strong finish. I sure as hell do. I have no reason to believe we're going to be a genuine contender under Will Muschamp, even if you give him 10 years. He cannot evaluate talent, either with assistant coaches or players, and isn't any good at "coaching 'em up" anyway. He's going to be a career assistant after his tenure with Florida is up. It's where he belongs.

It's really a moot point, because we aren't even going to sniff a strong finish.
Get out of my head man

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n81491 said:
Just shows how much further ahead they are than us.
Shows how far weve fallen, them and UGA used to be our b*tch... neither is much better than they have been, we just suck worse than a blackhole right now.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
In 2000, we all knew we were going to lose to the noles. It was Spurrier's 11th year, we had won the East and would go on to win the SEC. Spurrier would absolutely grade that season as a win, and thus overloook a loss in Tally.

The one thing that Meyer brought here was "expect perfection" mindset. In years where you're hunting a NC, no there is no acceptable loss. But in a year like this, I would consider it somewhat acceptable.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
soflagator;n81534 said:
In 2000, we all knew we were going to lose to the noles. It was Spurrier's 11th year, we had won the East and would go on to win the SEC. Spurrier would absolutely grade that season as a win, and thus overloook a loss in Tally.

The one thing that Meyer brought here was "expect perfection" mindset. In years where you're hunting a NC, no there is no acceptable loss. But in a year like this, I would consider it somewhat acceptable.
Why?
Why would you accept a loss? What is an acceptable reason for losing? Because our coach sucks? Is that an acceptable reason? Because if that's your reason then maybe we shouldn't accept it.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n81452 said:
So you would be content with a strong finish (no championships) if it meant Muschamp was retained for an additional year or years? Half of us already have a loaded pistol in our mouths - we'd prefer not the pull the trigger.

Remember the Jim Jones flyover and all those dead bodies lying all over the place? Picture that being the Gator Nation.

[video=youtube;9FCYg4v9lBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FCYg4v9lBE[/video]
It's completely safe to say at this point the man has lost the fan base. Unless we win the SEC Championship, there's no justification for bringing him back. Absolutely none.

Good grief. Exaggerate much?

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I am sure I won't understand why, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that WM is retained at the end of the year. It is painful to watch us play and that probably won't change without WM gone. I am afraid we are stuck in this swirl for many years. I'm not confident that a new coach could come in and do much with this talent without a few years of rough spots and it wouldn't be instantly changed like a Spurrier or Meyer era. Once WM is gone (whenever that will be) it will be a process.

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
Setting aside the Foley-with-a-goat-photo theory, this is my best guess as to why JF hasn't pulled the plug yet:

1. He gets to choose the timing for the release, which has a lot of advantages over replacing a coach who quits out of the blue (SOS, UM).
2. He gets to look like a patient, supportive AD, which is attractive to a potential new coach.
3. He gets to roll out plans for a new indoor practice facility, also attractive. (Lots in the media recently about the new facility, architect renditions, etc.).
4. He gets to do lots of behind the scenes vetting, conversations with agents, assessing interest of potential hires.
5. There is no real urgency to save the ship. Florida football is the titanic with a couple stuck pistons in the engine room. It is not sinking, it will never sink unless college football in the south goes away. As frustrated as fans are, all the love will return with a winning season and a winning coach.

I am decidedly not in the camp who believe JF should wave his magic wand already and get a new guy in today. I think WM is a placeholder, and he'll be a placeholder until JF has shored up the next great coaching hire,

Is it possible that the longer we are stuck with WM, the better the next coaching hire will be? I think that could explain a season or two. Maybe even three. I think the new coach will be announced very shortly after WM is fired. The search is already underway.

ufgator2002

Bleeds Orange and Blue
Aug 11, 2014
Originally posted by alcoholica View Post

Here's a different take on Muschamp. What does he do if Treon starts to play and he is actually competent? I think we all know the whole team is going to rally around Harris, they've already shown that at UT. If Harris actually plays well, will Muschamp actually begin to trust the offense enough for us to be successful? The point is that the coaching staff may be playing tight because Driskel has the same effect on them as he does on his teammates. Driskel is just so uninspiring. Can Harris actually change the way Muschamp and Roper are coaching?

Gator87;n81311 said:
Just another reason for him to be fired for sticking with Driskel week after week and not trying something different until it's too late.

If this program turns around with Harris in there and let's say we win out this season, or at least beat everyone but the suckinoles (hopefully we upset them) there is absolutely no need for WM to be let go at that point. All that is, is hating a person based on personal bias and wanting our way instead of whats best for the team. MANY top recruits have already stated if we win I am in, and many have also stated they want Muschamp and company to still be here. It is not right to still say if we win when Harris gets in there that WM should still be let go because he waited to put him in is ridiculous.

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
ufgator2002;n81765 said:
Originally posted by alcoholica View Post

Here's a different take on Muschamp. What does he do if Treon starts to play and he is actually competent? I think we all know the whole team is going to rally around Harris, they've already shown that at UT. If Harris actually plays well, will Muschamp actually begin to trust the offense enough for us to be successful? The point is that the coaching staff may be playing tight because Driskel has the same effect on them as he does on his teammates. Driskel is just so uninspiring. Can Harris actually change the way Muschamp and Roper are coaching?

If this program turns around with Harris in there and let's say we win out this season, or at least beat everyone but the suckinoles (hopefully we upset them) there is absolutely no need for WM to be let go at that point. All that is, is hating a person based on personal bias and wanting our way instead of whats best for the team. MANY top recruits have already stated if we win I am in, and many have also stated they want Muschamp and company to still be here. It is not right to still say if we win when Harris gets in there that WM should still be let go because he waited to put him in is ridiculous.

Because it would make so much sense for top recruits to say "I wanna be a Gator, but only if the current coach and staff are gone."

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
HogtownGator;n81755 said:
Setting aside the Foley-with-a-goat-photo theory, this is my best guess as to why JF hasn't pulled the plug yet:

1. He gets to choose the timing for the release, which has a lot of advantages over replacing a coach who quits out of the blue (SOS, UM).
2. He gets to look like a patient, supportive AD, which is attractive to a potential new coach.
3. He gets to roll out plans for a new indoor practice facility, also attractive. (Lots in the media recently about the new facility, architect renditions, etc.).
4. He gets to do lots of behind the scenes vetting, conversations with agents, assessing interest of potential hires.
5. There is no real urgency to save the ship. Florida football is the titanic with a couple stuck pistons in the engine room. It is not sinking, it will never sink unless college football in the south goes away. As frustrated as fans are, all the love will return with a winning season and a winning coach.

I am decidedly not in the camp who believe JF should wave his magic wand already and get a new guy in today. I think WM is a placeholder, and he'll be a placeholder until JF has shored up the next great coaching hire,

Is it possible that the longer we are stuck with WM, the better the next coaching hire will be? I think that could explain a season or two. Maybe even three. I think the new coach will be announced very shortly after WM is fired. The search is already underway.

There may be a much simpler explanation: WM took the job with the understanding he would get "X" number of years and JF is honoring his commitment?

ufgator2002

Bleeds Orange and Blue
Aug 11, 2014
HogtownGator;n81783 said:
Because it would make so much sense for top recruits to say "I wanna be a Gator, but only if the current coach and staff are gone."

Did you misinterpret what I was stating there Hogtown? Just a question man?? My meaning behind that statement was alot of the top recruits have stated if Muschamp gets things righted before the season is over they will commit to him and the program. Many of these guys want to play for WM.Or did I misunderstand what you were saying :dunno:

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
ufgator2002;n81789 said:
Did you misinterpret what I was stating there Hogtown? Just a question man?? My meaning behind that statement was alot of the top recruits have stated if Muschamp gets things righted before the season is over they will commit to him and the program. Many of these guys want to play for WM.Or did I misunderstand what you were saying :dunno:

I take a recruit saying he wants to play for WM with a grain of salt. A recruit's opinion isn't a reflection on the coaching staff, it is a reflection on the scholarship-giver/scholarship-receiver relationship.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Downfield pass defense has killed our team as much as anything. If WM stays can he get that corrected?
Can a 2nd year Roper offense bring us to the top?
I see Hogtown's description that Muschamp is a placeholder 'til Coach Perfection comes along.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
threatmatrix;n80171 said:
Agree.

Hypothetically if we beat UGA but lose to USCe. UGA then loses to Auburn. We both have 3 losses but win east cuz we beat UGA. Three loss winner is being the tallest midget. Okay granted farfetched. n/m

We will know after this weekend. Following weekend worst case. Once we are eliminated from possibly winning the SECe hopefully we can breath easier. But now I'm wondering of the announcement comes after F$U instead of UGA.
Foley couldn't possibly keep Champ w/o us winning the East could he?
Only if we beat UGA and FSU (but missed going to the SECCG) then won our Bowl Game. That would probably be enough to buy us another year of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.