Why no discussion of Charlie Strong?

PhD Gator

UF Ph.D. 2011
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'm a bit surprised at the lack of mention of Charlie Strong as a potential replacement for Mac (not saying his name has never been brought up, but I haven't seen it as a serious discussion, with way more discussion going in a number of different directions).

I figured I would give us a place to discuss him as an option. Would you guys be excited by this hire? Do you think he could succeed here?

He is an interesting case in my opinion. Strong (no pun intended) performance at Louisville. However, he never seemed like the right fit for Texas (in a number of ways). He seems to be performing quite well at USF. Has been at UF before. Knows how to recruit the state of Florida well.

Where would you put him in the relative "depth chart" of potential hires?

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I would take him over champ or butters but he'd be down my list a bit of potential new hires. I would prefer a innovating offensive guy...i do not like defensive guys as HC or OL coaches as HC...usually far too conservative for me.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I love Charley but he already failed at a big time program.

However, he is 150 slots about Butterteeth and any other Run N Punt guy.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I would welcome Charlie back to UF. I always liked him, and think he could succeed here.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He could come cheap. Texass is paying him for 4 more years.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He would be on the second teir of candidates with Mullens, Fedora, etc... guys who know UF and know the administration, but not champion or potential championship guys.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I like Charlie, but I think he's at exactly the type of job he should be at.

Texas was a school with a ton of resources, a solid tradition, great support, etc. But it also had a ton of expectations, big money boosters who simply aren't willing to wait for success, and fans who are tired of the downward spiral. Sound familiar?

I think he's great at taking over stable programs, keeping them going, and from time to time, having a breakout year, which is sufficient for those fans. I don't think he's the right guy to take over a struggling program that wants instant turnaround.

I'm glad he's doing well at Usf though.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He would probably be a decent head coach. But, to a couple points on the thread already, I prefer an offense over defense guy.

In addition he will never, ever be offered the HBC position. There are reasons that we’ve already laid out on the board. They are not good reasons but they are the reasons none the less.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014

1. Frost

2. Fuentes

3. Campbell

Are any of them realistic? Probably only Frost.

Why not Kiff or Strong? Both have failed at major programs. Simple as that. I don't want to hire a guy who couldn't get it done at Texas or at USC.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
He would be on the second teir of candidates with Mullens, Fedora, etc... guys who know UF and know the administration, but not champion or potential championship guys.

Just who is on your first tier and include the logic that would allow them to come.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
If strong can't win at Texas I have serious doubts he'd do any better here. I think he's a step above muschamp and a step below Mullen. The only reason he should get a call is if the 10 other guys ahead of him tell us to fck off. I think he's in a perfect situation right now for him.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015

There's going to be a lot of non gators that think Mac's getting a raw deal also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.