Why no discussion of Charlie Strong?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Thanks and other than say kelly (I don't think he is a sure thing even if you could get him) none are what we call "sure things"

Frost might be going to Nebraska he is from there.

I don't think anything will be happening, but with every blunder I become more convinced that Mac is not the answer, if he keeps all those recruits and gets a better OC he probably deserves another year or perhaps two if improvements are coming.
:britney:

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016

What UF needs first and foremost is a good headcoach. Yes he needs to be a good recruiter and yes good recruiting classes are the lifeblood of college football teams, but so is the ability to put together a top-notch staff, to develop players whence they arrive on campus and to provide strong disciplined leadership. Recruiting, though important, is not first and foremost. It is one of many equally important factors. Neither is it important that the next head coach be an offensive minded guru. Saban is the standard in this day and age and he rose to the top on the defensive side of the ball.

I agree with and understand most of what you say. What I disagree with is the emphasis on any single factor being more important than another. It's like saying that tires are the first and foremost component of a car. Essential? Yes. But so are the engine, brakes, steering wheel, etc. Getting a great recruiter who fails otherwise but leaves the program well-stocked for the next coach after a couple of years is not what is needed right now.

Last edited:

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
Charlie is a good guy who reached his peak with Louisville.
His move to Texas proved to be a disaster and was
never fully accepted by the Longhorn power brokers. He is right where
he needs to be at USF. He will continue to do a good job at
that program but you can't go home again.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Charlie is my favorite asst coach ever at UF but i don't know if I would want him as my HC. He would be better than the last 2 we've hired but i want a young innovative offensive coach who's not going to have to change the offense every time his OC leaves. However i think Charlie walked into a losing situation at Texas and he was basically finished the day he took that job because of the way Mac Brown/Muschamp left that program.
Also The majority of those Texas kids are overrated by the recruiting services and until someone starts cherry picking kids from other states to go along with the Texas kids they'll continue to struggle no matter who the HC is!

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Satan could not have twice the talent in the nfl like he does at trailerbama.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Charlie Strong bombed at Texas and equally as important he's been at the University of South Florida for less than a year there's no way he would be under consideration for the Gator coaching job. I like Charlie but he's where he needs to be and he had a tough First loss yesterday at USF.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I love Coach Strong but that ship has long sailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator