Why no Stricklin interview?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think I may need to get re-credentialed, as shytty as I would be at this advanced age. The football team is once again surviving week to week against a weak schedule and with no improvement on offense while a credit card scandal involving double-digit players threatens to widen.

Fans have questions, they're not getting answers, only opinions. Useless opinions. I want somebody who can grill to sit down one-on-one with Stricklin and ask the tough questions.

a) How do you assess the football program at this stage?
b) Are we improved over a year ago, two years ago?
c) Do you back Mac's decision to retain Nuss? If yes, how and why?
d) Do you approve of how Mac has handled the team off the field?
e) Are you content with being an also-ran or do you want a championship product?
f) Prove it if you say yes to "e."
g) What would it take to bring about a change of coaches?

Where are Dooley, Bianchi and Tom Jones when you need them?

Hold the "What's New Pussycat" jokes.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Problem is that the G-Sun Sports reporters are university stooges. I'm not saying that they have to be giant asses to Mac or Stricklin – but they should be sitting down with them and asking them tough insightful questions.

And not at a press conference.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There are no hard hitting sports reporters any more. No substantive or tough questions. All fluff and tripe. The Gainesville Sun showed their impotence when they failed to do any follow up or investigation into the "Hawaiian Guy" shooting years ago.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think you'd get a bunch of canned lines with no real information
Likely. But a good interviewer will know how to box in the subject and induce answers.

At the very least, Stricklin needs to reassure Florida fans there's a reasonable basis for the status quo.

What he'd altogether likely say is the athletic department assesses each of its coaches following the season and that this season would be no exception. That's the gibberish.

That's when you ask what it would take to contemplate a change, and you hold his feet to the fire.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Not to be political but knowing the current climate on college campuses, how much do you think the pc climate affects football?

I mean yes it's very important for girls volleyball to be number one because we always need to remember that women are equal or better than men in every way. And doesn't football represent toxic masculinity?

Does this current climate for a college administrator reduce the importance and influence of football? Is it more important to "spread the wealth" so to speak? This isn't the '90s or '00s anymore.

Seriously not trying to be proactive but just wonder if the focus is shifting.

Perhaps stricklin may adhere to this philosophy.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Do you guys think Stricklin knows there is a problem? His baseline is 7-5 Dan the Mullett. What does he know about championship football?

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Not to be political but knowing the current climate on college campuses, how much do you think the pc climate affects football?

I mean yes it's very important for girls volleyball to be number one because we always need to remember that women are equal or better than men in every way. And doesn't football represent toxic masculinity?

Does this current climate for a college administrator reduce the importance and influence of football? Is it more important to "spread the wealth" so to speak? This isn't the '90s or '00s anymore.

I think you're on to something there rev.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

You just described the last 8-10 years with Foley so don't pin this on Stricklin. He is simply following the game plan he was given.

He lacks the horsepower to make any real decisions or changes on his own. Well, I should say that he hasn't demonstrated any ability to make any tough decisions.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There are no hard hitting sports reporters any more. No substantive or tough questions. All fluff and tripe. The Gainesville Sun showed their impotence when they failed to do any follow up or investigation into the "Hawaiian Guy" shooting years ago.

You are completely correct.

College athletics have become, in some ways, like a drug cartel that limits access to a select few, and eliminates the people that don't adhere to their rules. Forget that whole public entity thing, that is a farse.
Reporters like Dooley don't dare do or say anything subversive or they will be frozen out of everything. In fact, UF would most likely get a non-cooperative reporter removed from the paper.
Dooley knows that he could never find a commensurate job elsewhere so he plays the game as he is told.

We are left with the sanitized messaging that UF wants us to hear and nothing else. Many times we end up blaming Dooley et.al. when in reality they are puppets only. This is how you end up with a writer like Dooley defending Muschamp long after it is clear that a change is needed.

My memory tells me that it was not always this way but I may have only convinced myself that it used to be different.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

I think assigning the shift to PC is a stretch. What I really wonder is if getting down in the mud to remain a top tier program is so risky that the administration has decided to take their foot of the accelerator. Big bucks for a coach and pressure to produce or else is just asking for it.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I think assigning the shift to PC is a stretch. What I really wonder is if getting down in the mud to remain a top tier program is so risky that the administration has decided to take their foot of the accelerator. Big bucks for a coach and pressure to produce or else is just asking for it.
Perhaps, but at it's base level isn't the athletic director supposed to recruit to talent? Any schmuck could leave Muschamp as coach for ten years and forget about him. An intern could do that. There's a reason Derek Dooley doesn't coach anymore.
I'm just thinking out loud, I wonder if there isn't a more communal approach to college football and the other sports.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I believe this has a lot of merit.
Let's face it, in today's society these universities and their athletic departments gain more accolades and echo-chamber praise for enhancing women's sports much more so than the men's side. I am sure they all realize that football pays the bills and therefore they won't ignore it completely but they will diminish it's value.
Whether or not this is the right thing to do and will enhance the finances of the department are secondary since you must remember this is government we are talking about.

Want a comparsion? The Michelle Obama school lunch program. This program enhanced the nutritional value of every plate of food served in elementary and secondary schools and everyone was very proud of themselves.
The fact that 90% of the food ended up in the trash is of no consequence as long as we can feel good about what we are doing.

So, the fact that the football program's profile has diminished significantly, is not important when women's sports are thriving because that makes all of us feel good about what we are doing.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I think I may need to get re-credentialed, as shytty as I would be at this advanced age. The football team is once again surviving week to week against a weak schedule and with no improvement on offense while a credit card scandal involving double-digit players threatens to widen.

Fans have questions, they're not getting answers, only opinions. Useless opinions. I want somebody who can grill to sit down one-on-one with Stricklin and ask the tough questions.

a) How do you assess the football program at this stage?
b) Are we improved over a year ago, two years ago?
c) Do you back Mac's decision to retain Nuss? If yes, how and why?
d) Do you approve of how Mac has handled the team off the field?
e) Are you content with being an also-ran or do you want a championship product?
f) Prove it if you say yes to "e."
g) What would it take to bring about a change of coaches?

Where are Dooley, Bianchi and Tom Jones when you need them?

Hold the "What's New Pussycat" jokes.

The reason they don't ask the questions is because they will it get politically correct answers. About all they would accomplish is to annoy the hand that feeds the questioner. What we really want are the truthful answers and you will never get them. Not only that, it's not that you can't handle the truth, it's that you don't want to accept the truth. But for shiits and grins I am going to answer the questions truthfully as if I were Stricklin. Let's see were it goes:

a) Could be better, could be worse
b) In some areas
c) Your question presumes something that is not in the record as fact
d) That's a broad question and I will give you a broad answer, yes.
e) I am not content with being an also ran.
f) "Contentment" is an emotion. I can't prove my contentment any more than I can prove being happy, sad or feeling quite contrary.
g) Lots of money and a home run candidate.

I don't know about you but I don't think we've learned anything in round 1. Ready for round 2?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Want a comparsion? The Michelle Obama school lunch program. This program enhanced the nutritional value of every plate of food served in elementary and secondary schools and everyone was very proud of themselves.
The fact that 90% of the food ended up in the trash is of no consequence as long as we can feel good about what we are doing.
bllsh#t............you do not know what you are talking about. The food got better. Kids threw away no more food than they ever did. They used to serve a lot of sh#t to kids...........since then they got shrimp hush puppies. Tacos. Lots of sweet potatoes. Great salads. AND Ive seen lots of kids even young ones eating the salad. Have you read the stats of childhood obesity. Onset Juvenile Diabetes. I eat the food all the time.............this is just another fckn idiotic talking point ;promoted by moronic hate radio morons that havent set foot in a public school since Nixon was in office.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
bllsh#t............you do not know what you are talking about. The food got better. Kids threw away no more food than they ever did. They used to serve a lot of sh#t to kids...........since then they got shrimp hush puppies. Tacos. Lots of sweet potatoes. Great salads. AND Ive seen lots of kids even young ones eating the salad. Have you read the stats of childhood obesity. Onset Juvenile Diabetes. I eat the food all the time.............this is just another fckn idiotic talking point ;promoted by moronic hate radio morons that havent set foot in a public school since Nixon was in office.
You gonna eat your tater tots? :fatnanner:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Genuinely curious. Is anything NOT the fault of "PC culture" to you guys? It's the ultimate boogeyman. :rolleyes3:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.