Why we can win out with Treon

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Defense and special teams win us the game. TH does what he can (not to lose it)...to manage it on offense. Offense won't thrill me, but won't cause me to throw anything around the room either. Special teams will keep us in a good position (punts to flip the field, not expecting either team to have much returns). Defense will hit hard, often, and make the statement that we are here to win the game.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
maheo30;n304050 said:
I don't expect Treon to ever be good or even average from the pocket. He doesn't have to be to win in college. Vince Young was a one read and go guy. Many times he decided he was going to take off and run even though a pass play was called. He didn't care. He was going to run it. Manziel was a larry lock-on yet he won. The examples are many. Treon needs to be in space and he can make plays. It is up to the coaching staff to scheme that up. A running game would make things so much easier on him, but I don't expect us to get one with our o-line playing so poorly.
Agree, reading through progressions from the pocket is never going to be Treon's strength but he has a good arm and great wheels so he's very difficult to scheme against. He gives us a very good chance of winning if he avoids turnovers, which he is good at, and avoids getting injured, which is my biggest fear. If he gets knocked out our season is over, and yet we have to let him run.. Think of the production when you try to make RG3 or Kap or Vick into drop back pocket passers vs letting them do their thing.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
24/7 sports has an article saying Grier hasn't done anything to include practice since the suspension. I hadn't heard that, wonder why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
He'll do the best he can do and the coaches will take care of the rest. Some people want him to get rid of the ball quicker and I agree to a point. However do we really want him throwing the ball quicker without the vision of a taller QB? I'll take the good with the bad here and hope he plays low or no turnover football for the rest of the year and keeps improving the things he does well which is throw on the run, pick up a few first downs with his feet, and most importantly win games.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n304091 said:
24/7 sports has an article saying Grier hasn't done anything to include practice since the suspension. I hadn't heard that, wonder why.

McElwain addressed this in his press conference yesterday when asked... basically Grier is focused on the appeals process and dealing with what he did. McElwain said it was traumatic for Grier, but he is absolutely part of the team.

I think in reality having Grier out there would be a distraction away from Treon. There is no reason to have Grier out there practicing unless he was working with the practice squad which doesn't help him for next year anyway, but possibly helps our D. In general, let Will deal with getting an appeal done and he can practice between the bowl game and in the spring. This is Treon's team now and having Will out there might distract from that.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n304091 said:

The practices during the season are to get ready for games and he isn't eligible to play in those things.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What is Taylor doing on that play? I don't think that it was drawn up to slip him out into that path of the crossing receiver. I think he probably ought to be picking up that blitzer or the end that was let go by the tackle. Anyone else notice that?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n304096 said:
McElwain addressed this in his press conference yesterday when asked... basically Grier is focused on the appeals process and dealing with what he did. McElwain said it was traumatic for Grier, but he is absolutely part of the team.

I think in reality having Grier out there would be a distraction away from Treon. There is no reason to have Grier out there practicing unless he was working with the practice squad which doesn't help him for next year anyway, but possibly helps our D. In general, let Will deal with getting an appeal done and he can practice between the bowl game and in the spring. This is Treon's team now and having Will out there might distract from that.

Those are the more important practices, I'm fine with him missing current practices as long as he gets in those practices.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
We can win with Treon because Treon is a gamer and a baller. He is not going to curl up like a turtle (JB) or keep rolling rolling rolling rolling keep those doggies rolling Rawhide (JD).

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
EuroGator;n304150 said:
What is Taylor doing on that play? I don't think that it was drawn up to slip him out into that path of the crossing receiver. I think he probably ought to be picking up that blitzer or the end that was let go by the tackle. Anyone else notice that?
Maybe that's why DRob is waving his arms in the 4th frame, wondering why KT is there. Looks like KT could have stayed and blocked the blizter coming off RT. He could also have an option there to slip out and become a safety valve if there was nobody to block, and for a half a second, it looked pretty good. But I'm not an X&O guy in football, so who knows?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorBart;304177 said:
Maybe that's why DRob is waving his arms in the 4th frame, wondering why KT is there. Looks like KT could have stayed and blocked the blizter coming off RT. He could also have an option there to slip out and become a safety valve if there was nobody to block, and for a half a second, it looked pretty good. But I'm not an X&O guy in football, so who knows?

I'm taking it that you don't know what a midline is.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n304213 said:

Muschamp is the micro-managing Jimmy Carter of college football. Figures. Georgia.

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
The issue that worries me most about Treon was his end of game performance 2 weeks ago. He was doing very well until the last 2 drives. On those final drives, he did not play well (besides a lucky long throw). There were some ugly throws and really bad decisions at the end. I hope the game isn't close in the final minutes, but if it is, I want to depend on Treon to not suck late in the 4th quarter.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;304224]

Muschamp is the micro-managing Jimmy Carter of college football. Figures. Georgia. [/QUOTE]

I miss him.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n304213 said:
Gawdamn Midline!
gdchamp.gif

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
Treon is a great QB when the plays are scripted for him and he knows exactly where he has to go with the football. As far as running a two minute drill or playing from behind, well he's just not that good at it. I trust our coaching staff and that is the biggest difference in the last five years. I fully expect a very impressive gameplan tomorrow.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Well as long as the receivers continue to get open on scramble drills and make circus grabs, and as long as Treon stops throwing the ball directly into the ground on 3 yard routes, we should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator