Recruiting Wide Receiver Recruiting

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It almost looks like we’re not even trying to land premiere high school wideouts. We’re just waiting for them to enter transfer portals.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Forgot about Drayton (and Smith was an analyst at UF), but point taken. Zach Smith, for as crazy as he is, could recruit. Drayton was solid too.

Can Smith recruit or was it that he was a coach recruiting for Ohio State / Urban Meyer? Smith was fired and now Brian Hartline is cleaning up.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014

I've always hoped that someday we might get Dwayne Dixon back.

But he's apparently been at Ohio University for a long time now, so possibly he's just more comfortable with the lifestyle at that level. OTOH ... according to Wikipedia, he's married with a couple of kids, so maybe he's wanted to have things stable for them while they were growing, and perhaps they're getting close to college age.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
If he wasnt trying g to process him, that was the dumbest thing to say to a recruit in response to that question.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It almost looks like we’re not even trying to land premiere high school wideouts. We’re just waiting for them to enter transfer portals.
I'd rather take a 3 star that played well like Grenard, than a five-star that sucked though.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Can Smith recruit or was it that he was a coach recruiting for Ohio State / Urban Meyer? Smith was fired and now Brian Hartline is cleaning up.
Smith was royalty in Ohio. Every coach grew up idolizing Earle Bruce there.

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
I'm talking about on-field assistants. He also took Marrotti. Mark Pantoni is the recruiting coordinator.

Edit: he also hired Brian Voltolini, who worked w/ him at Utah & Florida - in an off field role.

Marotti is the highest paid off field assistant at Ohio State, making $785K (plus bonuses - he'll get about a 25% bonus so far, more if they advance in the playoffs).

Voltolini makes $237K and Pantoni makes $200K (plus the same bonuses as Marotti), making them the 2nd & 3rd highest paid off-field assistants.

Mickey Marotti, Brian Voltolini and Mark Pantoni Lead Ohio State's Support Staff with New Contracts, Increased Salaries for 2019
What's with all the Italians???

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What's with all the Italians???
Have you ever been to Ohio? a lot of Italians the more north and east you go. Germans in the south and west.

Most of the rust belt towns are still old school italian mob run in part.

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'd rather take a 3 star that played well like Grenard, than a five-star that sucked though.

As would I. Give me the Greenards and the Van Jeffersons all day. But don’t reach for WR prospects from the HS ranks. Let those reaches be transfer portal kids.

Woodstork

Dec 19, 2019
I've always hoped that someday we might get Dwayne Dixon back.

But he's apparently been at Ohio University for a long time now, so possibly he's just more comfortable with the lifestyle at that level. OTOH ... according to Wikipedia, he's married with a couple of kids, so maybe he's wanted to have things stable for them while they were growing, and perhaps they're getting close to college age.

I like Dwayne as well, but figured that ship sailed because of how long he’s been at Ohio.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Gotta be honest, I know nothing about the guy. Is he overweight or something?

In his short time at PedoU, he had a hard time staying at a playable weight. Franklin even called him out on it publicly. Stud talent. I'd rather take a chance on Shorter than some 3 star we flip from UCF or Pitt. There's a reason he came in and started so quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.