Will a close loss to Alabama satisfy you?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator said:
You think this team is a playoff team, Zambo?
billy-badass-meme-generator-sees-shiny-badge-wears-it-11b55b.jpg

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
PaulDrake said:
Actually, I can't BELIEVE the premise of the question. Let's think about what is being asked for a moment. Our program has reached a level where we are being asked to consider how much of a loss is acceptable if we are 'competitive?' Well, I've managed to put my poo down that I usually have on hand to sling [funny Ox] but I reject the entire premise of the question, period. We SHOULDN'T even be here in this situation. THAT'S the problem. No. Hell no. A loss under any circumstance is unacceptable. The fact these types of expectations are being used as a parameter for the question is unacceptable. Our program based on money, the position for recruiting we are in, the available resources that should keep us competitive are a critical component for why we should be of concern to the mighty Saban under any circumstances. We lose it's just another reason this clown that runs the program has to go. That past due date expired last year and now the mold culture it's growing is going to start having an adverse affect on recruiting and brand name that's already in a free fall.
Excellent post. Bravo

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
jmskjrgator;n53010 said:
Ox. I am 69 years old. Been a true gator fan all of my life. I cannot count the number of times we have started the season playing a couple of rinkie-denk. Like Ky they play us close so then we make our selves believe they are a much improved team we have beaten only to find out they are not.

Saturday we will find out if Ky is much better or we are still a weak team. I do believe there is a good possibility Ky has improved significantly. The one player running his mouth predicting a win in the swamp. He might have Seen enough difference in last years team and this years to feel confident they could beat us.

I think Saturdays game was a very physical game(second half). Generally you have two pretty good teams when a game is that physical, not two powder puffs. I am going out on the limb and say Ky is much improved and we have improved a good degree.

I also don't think Bama has fully jelled yet. They could this Saturday. I think we match up with them physically on both sides of the ball. I still think our big question is the OL. They looked better at times Saturday, but not all the time. Matt Jones showed he is a force to be reckoned with.

We have the Demarcus factor now which we needed badly. If Driskell can pick his times to tuck it and run, we have alot for them to prepare for.

I think Roper still has more plays to put in the game plan using speed rather than physically running it.

I won't be surprised if we beat Bama. I know I will get tarred and feathered for stating that.

Bottom line is........

I think the Ky player that run his mouth knew something we are about to find out.

I think there is something to be said about this and I agree. The other factor is not having the Idaho game. Teams typically gel around their 3rd game because it helps coaches decide who they want when and where even if 1 or 2 of those games is against powder puffs. Kentucky is a much improved team, I'd say they are about as good as Miss.St. Gee Miss.St. hasn't busted our bubble before, have they.....I'm not saying we will win but I see their home field advantage being the difference.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
PaulDrake said:
Actually, I can't BELIEVE the premise of the question. Let's think about what is being asked for a moment. Our program has reached a level where we are being asked to consider how much of a loss is acceptable if we are 'competitive?' Well, I've managed to put my poo down that I usually have on hand to sling [funny Ox] but I reject the entire premise of the question, period. We SHOULDN'T even be here in this situation. THAT'S the problem. No. Hell no. A loss under any circumstance is unacceptable. The fact these types of expectations are being used as a parameter for the question is unacceptable. Our program based on money, the position for recruiting we are in, the available resources that should keep us competitive are a critical component for why we should be of concern to the mighty Saban under any circumstances. We lose it's just another reason this clown that runs the program has to go. That past due date expired last year and now the mold culture it's growing is going to start having an adverse affect on recruiting and brand name that's already in a free fall.
I agree with you. This question shouldn't have to be asked. But the OP is an ass, so what do you expect?

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Thinking about the numerous post about our projected record and how that will affect WM's tenure as our Coach, I'm amazed at how many of you say that a loss to Bama, under any condition, is unacceptable.

If 100 people posted in the projected record threads, about 96 picked us to lose at Bama.. I did also but I think there is a chance to win any game, that's why we play them. If everything goes according to script, playing the game is just a waste of time and dangerous to boot. Most reasonable people, like me, expect us to lose, but being a fan and a "Homer", I always hope for the upset, for the home boys to do something great, to make History.

Will I be satisfied with a loss, no matter how well we play, "Hell No!"

But I can and will look for good things in any loss, things that allow me to hope for better results next time. And if by some chance the Football Gods smile on The Mighty Florida Gators and Victory is ours, you will find me celebrating like a crazed moron or Fan.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Bama beat Southern Miss 52 - 12. Miss St beat them 49 - 0. We have given up 80 and 81
yards in the last two games rushing. I know one was a powder puff but one was a SEC team.

I know they have three horses for running backs, but if, if ,if, we half way stop the run and make
them throw the ball, we have a chance. I think we pick off some passes with their inexperienced
QB.

I would take 14.5 points if I were a betting man. It's gonna be close and we could win it.

And everyone knows how negative I was all last season. I see hope on the horizon.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
]But I can and will look for good things in any loss, things that allow me to hope for better results next time. And if by some chance the Football Gods smile on The Mighty Florida Gators and Victory is ours, you will find me celebrating like a crazed moron or Fan.

You sound like Alvie Dork.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9 said:
If we beat bama, which will be larger? The number of spots we move up in the polls, Or the number of spots they drop?
UR, sadly I think there is a penciled in "script/storyline" for the season, and a lot of effort is made trying to keep it.

Gatorious

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Folks, this game is the SEC Championship game preview!
What an instant classic this will be!
SEC West leader v. SEC East leader.
Two storied programs and perennial contender powerhouses clash in an epic battle for control of the SEC.

Alabama, ranked #3 in the nation hosts the Florida Gators, ranked...er...not even ranked?

Nevermind.

If we win we 'shock the world'. Seriously.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Turk182 said:
Thinking about the numerous post about our projected record and how that will affect WM's tenure as our Coach, I'm amazed at how many of you say that a loss to Bama, under any condition, is unacceptable.

If 100 people posted in the projected record threads, about 96 picked us to lose at Bama.. I did also but I think there is a chance to win any game, that's why we play them. If everything goes according to script, playing the game is just a waste of time and dangerous to boot. Most reasonable people, like me, expect us to lose, but being a fan and a "Homer", I always hope for the upset, for the home boys to do something great, to make History.

Will I be satisfied with a loss, no matter how well we play, "Hell No!"

But I can and will look for good things in any loss, things that allow me to hope for better results next time. And if by some chance the Football Gods smile on The Mighty Florida Gators and Victory is ours, you will find me celebrating like a crazed moron or Fan.
Great post. I take the "Jerk" comment back. My apologies.

Mainland_Buc_75

Emerald Gulf Coast Gator
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Bama struggled on the road in West Virginia and blew out 2 cupcakes at home. Why are they perceived as being unbeatable this year? The Gators struggled at home against Kentucky and blew out a cupcake at home and probably would have done the same to an undermanned Idaho squad. Why are Gator fans penciling in a loss against Bama based on play so far?

Is Bama's QB much better than the Gators' JD? At this point of the season, I don't think so. The Gators are 12th overall passing compared to 33rd for Bama.

Is their stable of running backs much better? I don't think so. Florida is 23rd overall; Bama is 18th with the extra cupcake.

Is their offensive line play much better than the Gators this year? I haven't seen that so far this year, either. Both teams have given up 2 sacks. Both teams' line have their running backs averaging over 200 yards a game.

Red zone offense: 2 games Florida has scored 13 times in 14 attempts with 7 tds and 6 FGs; 3 games Bama has scored 16 times in 19 attempts with 12 TDs and 4 FGs.

Defensively, is Bama playing much better than the Gators? Both teams have shut outs against cupcakes, Gators gave up 30 in 3 ots to UK; Bama gave 23 in regulation to WV. With the extra cupcake scoring 12 pts, Bama is 10th in overall defense; the Gators are 15th with one less cupcake to pad the defensive stats.

Gators have 4 interceptions in 2 games; Bama has none in 3. Gators have recovered 4 fumbles in 2 games; Bama has 1 in 3 games.

Rush Defense: Bama is 20 yds a game better than the Gators with an extra cupcake game.

Pass Defense: with one less cupcake game, Gators are 17 yds a game better than Bama .

Red zone defense: Bama has given up a td and 5 FGs in 6 redzone attempts; Florida had given up no TDs and 2 FGs in 2 redzone attempts.

Bama's 3rd down conversion rate is slightly better than Florida; Bama's 3rd down defensive conversion rate is slightly better than Florida.

Bama's punt return defense is better statistically; Gators' punt return average is better statistically (with one less cupcake game).

Florida's kickoff return defense is better than Bama's; both teams are virtually statistically even in kickoff return yardage.

So tell me again: Why is this game penciled in as a loss?

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Mainland_Buc_75 said:
Bama struggled on the road in West Virginia and blew out 2 cupcakes at home. Why are they perceived as being unbeatable this year? The Gators struggled at home against Kentucky and blew out a cupcake at home and probably would have done the same to an undermanned Idaho squad. Why are Gator fans penciling in a loss against Bama based on play so far?

Is Bama's QB much better than the Gators' JD? At this point of the season, I don't think so. The Gators are 12th overall passing compared to 33rd for Bama.

Is their stable of running backs much better? I don't think so. Florida is 23rd overall; Bama is 18th with the extra cupcake.

Is their offensive line play much better than the Gators this year? I haven't seen that so far this year, either. Both teams have given up 2 sacks. Both teams' line have their running backs averaging over 200 yards a game.

Red zone offense: 2 games Florida has scored 13 times in 14 attempts with 7 tds and 6 FGs; 3 games Bama has scored 16 times in 19 attempts with 12 TDs and 4 FGs.

Defensively, is Bama playing much better than the Gators? Both teams have shut outs against cupcakes, Gators gave up 30 in 3 ots to UK; Bama gave 23 in regulation to WV. With the extra cupcake scoring 12 pts, Bama is 10th in overall defense; the Gators are 15th with one less cupcake to pad the defensive stats.

Gators have 4 interceptions in 2 games; Bama has none in 3. Gators have recovered 4 fumbles in 2 games; Bama has 1 in 3 games.

Rush Defense: Bama is 20 yds a game better than the Gators with an extra cupcake game.

Pass Defense: with one less cupcake game, Gators are 17 yds a game better than Bama .

Red zone defense: Bama has given up a td and 5 FGs in 6 redzone attempts; Florida had given up no TDs and 2 FGs in 2 redzone attempts.

Bama's 3rd down conversion rate is slightly better than Florida; Bama's 3rd down defensive conversion rate is slightly better than Florida.

Bama's punt return defense is better statistically; Gators' punt return average is better statistically (with one less cupcake game).

Florida's kickoff return defense is better than Bama's; both teams are virtually statistically even in kickoff return yardage.

Muschamp.

Mainland_Buc_75

Emerald Gulf Coast Gator
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Mainland_Buc_75 said:

Fair enough. You're ignoring the comparative stats and saying neither of the two can step up to maintain them in a big game atmosphere. So if the stats were the same and Danny W /Steve Spurrier or Tim T / Urban Meyer were playing/coaching, your feelings would be different, I assume, even though on paper the Gators are clearly better in some categories and close to even in others.

Mainland_Buc_75

Emerald Gulf Coast Gator
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Mainland_Buc_75 said:

As the stats have shown, Bama is not exceptional so far this year on pass defense, takeaways or rushing the passer. If JD plays as well against Bama as he has done statistically so far this year, he will not hand Bama a win. If the pressure of the game/atmosphere gets to him, if the receivers drop key 3rd down passes like they did against Kentucky in the 1st half, it will be a long night for the Gators.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's a good question and there have been good answers already posted.

I don't expect a win or a loss. I will root for a win and I will hope to see us play well. I do think every team is different and every game is different, games and teams often take on a "life of their own" and games can play out differently than you might otherwise expect.

I had just moved to Ohio (for about 18 months) in 2006. Our team squeaked by a lot of games (SC anyone?) and OSU had looked dominating. I thought for sure we were going to lose. I couldn't have been more pleased, or more wrong. In 2009, I thought we'd roll the Tide and in 2001 I thought we'd handle the Vols. Those games didn't play out like I thought they would. I'm much less inclined these days to make declarations with certainty of how college football teams will play.

I root for the Gators. I follow recruiting. I want success and think, over time, we should be successful and we shouldn't accept consistent underperforming. I also try to view things in context, not in a vacuum. That applies to "real life" situations as well as football plays, games, and seasons.

I won't be shocked if we win, though I think we're more likely to lose. I won't (clearly) be shocked if we lose, but I will be disappointed. As others have said, how I feel about the game will depend on how we play and how the game plays out. I won't be happy if we lose and I don't want to call it a moral victory because I think the term itself is buyest :suspect:. I will be glad to see us compete, play well, and show competency in all aspects of the game (running, passing, run-stopping, pass rush, pass coverage, punting, place-kicking, turnovers and penalties). I will be watching and considering this game in context - recent past of both teams, game location, how the game actually unfolds.

I wouldn't ever want a moral victory, but I will try to understand the game - including the context. I don't know what will happen, I want to win, I'll be disappointed to lose, I'll be really disappointed if we don't play well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator