Will Franks get PT on Saturday?

GatorRaz

Gator Fan in Enemy Territory!!!
Dec 12, 2014
Why not play him? You can always redshirt him later in his career. Especially if he gets passed up by some dang competition on the depth chart. We are so thin that we don't have real position battles in practice. I'm not at practice but I bet the entitlement factor is really messing w' our starting line up strategy. See Luke Del Can't Throw...

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
In our last home game of the year, and our easiest opponent left on the schedule, it only makes sense to start Franks and let him loose. Which is exactly why this staff isn't doing it. It would just make too much sense.

I expect an extremely frustrating game tomorrow.
You're right . These dumbasses are just gonna wait and give the kid his first start at death valley or doak.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So we've gone from badmouthing Franks to no end after the spring game to somehow thinking he's our savior without a single snap of game experience? God I love this board. :lol2:

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If Franks plays I hope he is wearing Depends.....

SCary_Gamecocks

Nov 6, 2016
I don't see the freshman playing unless AA gets hurt. He's not getting put in even if we're up or down 50 points.

I am a (recent)believer in pulling a redshirt, even this late in the season, but not from the back-up position. If you are going to go that route, you have to commit to it. Hand him the reigns and go with it, even if he falters, because he will likely be the guy next year.
Starting AA, then burning Franks' redshirt basically for a few series, if he doesn't light it up, will be one of the top talking points all of next week. Especially if the wheels fall off for you in this game,
Going all in on him looks like a smart decision for the future, anything else reeks of desperation. Not just to the media, but to recruits.
Just my honest opinion.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
I'm going to guess that he never sees the field tomorrow. Mac is not smart enough to get him reps. I would give AA 1 quarter to show what's he got and if he's not moving the ball I'd put Franks in and let him finish out. It wont go like that though

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If Mac is a QB developer, he should be able to help Franks even through an awful game.
Mac could point out to Franks that 6 INTs didn't seem to bother Mac or LDR. :mad:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I just don't understand what the Big Fücking Deal is with having one of these freshman play? It's happening all over the country. LDR is junk and now injured. Appleby was brought in as a backup, not the future. Give the ball to one of the freshman and let him gain experience. It's not that hard.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I am a (recent)believer in pulling a redshirt, even this late in the season, but not from the back-up position. If you are going to go that route, you have to commit to it. Hand him the reigns and go with it, even if he falters, because he will likely be the guy next year.
Starting AA, then burning Franks' redshirt basically for a few series, if he doesn't light it up, will be one of the top talking points all of next week. Especially if the wheels fall off for you in this game,
Going all in on him looks like a smart decision for the future, anything else reeks of desperation. Not just to the media, but to recruits.
Just my honest opinion.

Take that reasonable crap outta here!

"Desperation", I guess being a gamecock you are qualified to speak on that subject! LOL :lmao2:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The cook book says Muschamp probably loads it with a mixture of heavy sets/stunts and a few blitzes to stop the run and makes Appleby beat them. Of course, he could just play a lot of base like Arkansas and stop the rush that way. OL, obviously, plays a big role in whatever measure of success we have. Right now, they're coming off of their worst performance of the season and the starting center is out. Their effort will have to be almost Herculean, or at least on par with what they did against UGA (and remember that the Dawgs weren't very good) for us to have a chance IMHO.

Defensively, can we overcome the loss of our two best LB's is the biggest question. If our young guys get consistently blocked and sealed...cancel Christmas. Conversely, if they can fill a gap or blow up a lead or stretch at the LOS and clean up laterally more often than not, we've got a shot, but this is asking a lot. Safety play against the rush will be a factor I think.

Maybe the biggest thing that needs to happen is the missing sense of urgency has to appear for an entire game. I'm ready for the players to be coached up in this area. I know we're looking for a few young guys to step up and for a listing team (still weird to say this about a 6-2 team) and coaching staff to change costumes at the later stages and they haven't shown the proclivity to do so thus far. I'm not real confident, but there's no better time for a guy like me to eat some crow. The Gator fans are clamoring for something big to finally happen. Will it finally be a break through or another torpedo to the waterline? The ship can't take many more hits.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I know is going to sound really weird, but perhaps, in addition to whatever we do at quarterback, we can add a blocking tight end and a fullback, instead of more receivers than any of our quarterbacks are capable of seeing. Give the guy behind center a little time to see the field, and make the defensive line and linebackers work a little. Seriously, our "strength" is our running game and we're not putting personnel on the field to make it work, and we're not using play action and a pass-catching fullback to keep the defense honest. Mac is playing his offensive scheme with Doug Dickey's offensive players. The personnel on hand are on both Muschamp and Mac, but the decision on how to play them is ENTIRELY on Mac.

Can Appleby see more than two receiver in progression? Hell no. And neither will Franks, in his first college game - it's too fast. But can he hand off the ball? Yup. Can he fake a handoff and throw a curl or a slant? Yup. Can he throw to a fullback faking a block and going up the middle? God, I hope so. And can he throw three long balls a game down the sideline, in the general direction of Caldwell? Yes, he can, and better and farther than Del Rio.

Play what you've got and give upon the fantasy that you can win with your scheme and your dog in the SEC.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
The point that a lot of you are missing is the fact that he's the backup. He's one snap from being our quarterback. To hell with the redshirt talk. Now is the time for preparation. The coaches have to prepare the kid and can't be waffling on whether to pull his RS or not. They're past that point. He HAS to get snaps this week. If not, the coaches are doing a great disservice to the football program.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
He will probably put him in with a minute to go in the game and then make some smarky comment about how he put him in there, but why did we expect miracles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.