Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n71735 said:
Concrete Helmet going past the realm of full retard. We need a new term for what's happening right now. :facepalm:

c28e23745cf846562616bb19bc248173fa45a5b765560bdbcf385341141bfe2b.jpg

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
How is it possible that somebody who follows college sports doesn't understand that you can redshirt your freshman year by not playing even if you are not injured? I'm blown away by Concrete's ignorance in this situation.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n71717 said:
It is exactly why they call it a "medical" redshirt in their freshmen year....If they do not then a player would never qualify for a hardship later down the line. Go back and check some of the players you mentioned that redshirted their freshmen year. I'll bet you that all of them had some kind of "medical" reason for redshirting. It wouldn't make since to do so since it is acceptable.

YOU ARE WRONG. Stop making it worse on yourself. Your hatred for Muschamp and JD is clouding your judgment. OR, do you know so little about football????

IT IS SIMPLE and it's a fact everybody on this board knows.......except you obviously. But every village has their idiot.

IT IS COMMON for freshman to get a redshirt. Every class has freshman who are redshirted. My Gawd, how do you NOT KNOW THIS???

Later, if there is a catastrophic injury that happens early in the season, one may apply for a hardship or medical redshirt and be granted an extra year. These are a LOT LESS common than a REGULAR redshirt which you somehow inexplicably deny is available.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
does anyone really believe Grier plays this year short of catastrophic injury situtation?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gator98MD;n71760 said:
does anyone really believe Grier plays this year short of catastrophic injury situtation?

I would be very surprised if Grier played at any point this season.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think we should start getting grier up to speed. In the meantime morningwig needs to be getting some reps. We have absolutely zero chance of winning with Driskel back there. I think he's mentally checked out. The whole team has lost confidence. I think you'll see the receivers more engaged and playing harder for another qb. So play morningwig until grier is up to speed. Take our lumps with morningwig and a freshman we're better.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
ATXGator;n71747 said:
How is it possible that somebody who follows college sports doesn't understand that you can redshirt your freshman year by not playing even if you are not injured? I'm blown away by Concrete's ignorance in this situation.

This. Eye-opening thread for sure.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n71771 said:
I think we should start getting grier up to speed. In the meantime morningwig needs to be getting some reps. We have absolutely zero chance of winning with Driskel back there. I think he's mentally checked out. The whole team has lost confidence. I think you'll see the receivers more engaged and playing harder for another qb. So play morningwig until grier is up to speed. Take our lumps with morningwig and a freshman we're better.

I actually agree.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
At this stage, I think you have 4 days to try and rebuild/salvage Driskel's confidence and get the team to rally around him. It's not as if WM named him the starter over Harris. It's man up, man down. If Driskel is the guy--even if only by default--the team should support him and get him ready for Saturday.

If he flails, have SM ready to go and let Grier know that his RS plans may be out the window due to the circumstances. He knew that was a possibility late in the recruiting cycle last year before TH flipped to us. May be his chance.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gator98MD;n71760 said:

I absolutely thinks he plays this year. If Treon is charged and gone then I have to think that Muschamp will try to get Grier some snaps as backup. If that isn't the case.. then Morningweigh will be named backup.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think some people are forgetting that both Harris and Grier passed SM on the depth chart in fall practice. Yes, Grier was fighting back spasms and that sidelined him for a bit, but I doubt it will take him long to remind the coaches why they liked him better than SM.

The longer Harris stays suspended, the better chance Grier has to see the field. SM is only here because Pease was friends with his dad and threw him a bone.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Lot's of wishing and hoping here.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Alagator;n71749 said:
YOU ARE WRONG. Stop making it worse on yourself. Your hatred for Muschamp and JD is clouding your judgment. OR, do you know so little about football????

IT IS SIMPLE and it's a fact everybody on this board knows.......except you obviously. But every village has their idiot.

IT IS COMMON for freshman to get a redshirt. Every class has freshman who are redshirted. My Gawd, how do you NOT KNOW THIS???

Later, if there is a catastrophic injury that happens early in the season, one may apply for a hardship or medical redshirt and be granted an extra year. These are a LOT LESS common than a REGULAR redshirt which you somehow inexplicably deny is available.

No actually I am in a practical sense right.....Let the retard ask all of you experts if Jeremy Brown and Andre Debose would have EVER got a hardship for an extra years eligibility if they hadn't gotten "medical redshirts" early in their career ????? ANWSER IS NO WAY....Most coaches are smart enough to do it when players are freshmen................HOW HARD IT THAT TO UNDERSTAND........JESUS CHRIST EVERY COACH AT EVERY SCHOOL DOES IT.......It is done to increase the likelihood of a player qualifying for a hardship......Hardship is not guaranteed........The more "injury history a player has the MORE LIKELY HE IS TO QUALIFY........Again how hard is it for you all to understand.......

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
ATXGator;n71747 said:

Yes ATX, I understand that freshmen can take a redshirt.......What I don't understand is why anyone would hand out a redshirt without attaching a "medical" to it.......As I have tried to explain is in the event that a player stays beyond 5 years they have a medical history to increase the chance of getting a hardship. Every coach at every school does it.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n72099 said:
Yes ATX, I understand that freshmen can take a redshirt.......What I don't understand is why anyone would hand out a redshirt without attaching a "medical" to it.......As I have tried to explain is in the event that a player stays beyond 5 years they have a medical history to increase the chance of getting a hardship. Every coach at every school does it.

Based on all the previous comments it sounded like you didn't understand that freshmen can take a redshirt. It sounds like what you are saying is that it is better for a coach to give a medical redshirt in the freshmen year so they can get a hardship later, but if you get a regular redshirt in your freshmen year you can always get a medical redshirt later...

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n71735 said:
Concrete Helmet going past the realm of full retard. We need a new term for what's happening right now. :facepalm:

Going past the realm of full moron is one who keeps making excuses for a coach and QB who don't perform time and time again.....Know anyone who fits that description ?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
ATXGator;n72104 said:
Based on all the previous comments it sounded like you didn't understand that freshmen can take a redshirt. It sounds like what you are saying is that it is better for a coach to give a medical redshirt in the freshmen year so they can get a hardship later, but if you get a regular redshirt in your freshmen year you can always get a medical redshirt later...

My point is that WHY would anyone not take a medical if it could help them get a hardship later on.....We've got JD for another year, we might or might not have TH for 4 years... The back spasms could linger on and off for a few years if you get my drift......

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n72095 said:
No actually I am in a practical sense right.....Let the retard ask all of you experts if Jeremy Brown and Andre Debose would have EVER got a hardship for an extra years eligibility if they hadn't gotten "medical redshirts" early in their career ????? ANWSER IS NO WAY....Most coaches are smart enough to do it when players are freshmen................HOW HARD IT THAT TO UNDERSTAND........JESUS CHRIST EVERY COACH AT EVERY SCHOOL DOES IT.......It is done to increase the likelihood of a player qualifying for a hardship......Hardship is not guaranteed........The more "injury history a player has the MORE LIKELY HE IS TO QUALIFY........Again how hard is it for you all to understand.......

Again you are using the two different types of redshirting interchangibly. The NCAA rulebook spells it out, but since it didn't agree with your definition you want to argue this point. Now take a breath, this is a simple concept you apparently lack in understanding.

A first year student-athlete can redshirt (practice, not play) in their first year and doesn't have to be injured or anything and still keep their 4 years of eligibility. A number of athletes have done this include Wuerfell, Manziel, Debose (even through he was injured prior to being on campus), etc....

Per NCAA.org :
A college-bound student-athlete may receive athletics aid (scholarship) in the first year of enrollment and may practice in the first regular academic term (semester or quarter) but may NOT compete in the first year of enrollment. After the first term is complete, the college-bound student-athlete must be academically successful at his/her college or university to continue to practice for the rest of the year.

Now if a player suffers a hardship that he removes him/her from competitive play for the majority of the season/or all of the season they can apply for a medical hardship redshirt. Similar to Driskel and Debose last year.

A medical hardship has the following quidelines:
To be eligible for a medical hardship waiver, a student-athlete has to meet the following criteria:
  • The student-athlete must suffer the injury during one of their four seasons of college competition or during the senior year of high school.
  • The injury must be incapacitating. That means it must be a season-ending injury.
  • The injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.
  • The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater.

Now the Debose case, he has used both types of Redshirts, his first term acdemic redshirt (only applies to players who never play that term), and a medical redshirt (dependent on how much a player plays).

Now do you understand that difference, and why the back spasms as a fake injury makes no sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator