Will Grier Speculation Thread

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If grier ever gets a full year with holgerson, I'd be shocked if he didn't throw for 3500+ yards. Some of you "we didn't want him anyway " guys crack me up. Just like we're better off without urban.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If grier ever gets a full year with holgerson, I'd be shocked if he didn't throw for 3500+ yards. Some of you "we didn't want him anyway " guys crack me up.
Ive heard literally NO ONE say that.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If grier ever gets a full year with holgerson, I'd be shocked if he didn't throw for 3500+ yards. Some of you "we didn't want him anyway " guys crack me up. Just like we're better off without urban.

I think most people think he will throw for close to a 300 a game average in that system. The argument is probably more about if he is talented enough to actually lead them to the next step with a Big 12 Championship. If they could have beat Oklahoma they would have won it this year.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think he'll do well with Holgerson. If anyone wants to remind themselves how we looked, watch the first 6 games from last season. Totally different. And yes as much as I hate Nuss (and I do) a QB can help tremendously, he was calling the plays. Gotta get back to that kind of football. God I hope Franks can have some of that success. Grier hung us and himself out, and Nuss is waffling.

gatorjohn

Founding Member
Rev
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I will probably get attacked for saying this but, I was always a big Grier fan. More importantly, I believe that a good Quarterback (Grier) showed what Mac can do with a real quarterback behind center. I will always believe that Grier's stupidity was his AND Mac's downfall.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I will probably get attacked for saying this but, I was always a big Grier fan. More importantly, I believe that a good Quarterback (Grier) showed what Mac can do with a real quarterback behind center. I will always believe that Grier's stupidity was his AND Mac's downfall.

This is a good point here. I do believe someone like Grier made a difference in this offense.

I am in no way a Nuss fan. Since Grier he has been unable to coach up the other QB's, play call, recruiting, and on and on. This is something they have to get fixed immediately.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe the real question should be can Grier measure up to the last starter we had that left for another team.

4,026 passing yards 27 Passing TDs rating 154.1 :D

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Remind me...who made up the coaching staff that put that impressive team on the field.
Well it is a team game, imagine Tebow without a defense and special teams. Not so successful in my view without those things. We are missing punt returns as well as an offense.
Punt returner ... there's no excuse for not getting one this recruiting cycle. Find a Brandon James and give him a scholarship.
I agree. Grier was going through his progressions from game one. He seemed to have a sense of when to run. He had a quick release. He had a cannon for an arm but could throw with touch too. He also hit a lot of players in stride and threw the ball before their break.

Most importantly, he raised the play of the entire team.

That doesn't mean that he would have been all world or won the Heisman or taken the Gators to the promised land. We'll just never know. Opposing defenses could have adjusted (based on film) and turned him into another Brantley.

IMO, the short time he was in there showed what the coaches could do with the current (at the time) players.

I'll get nailed for this one but it fits into this conversation: LDR was going through his progressions and making the throws the first few games. But, IMO, it was all mechanical. He really doesn't have the skill sets needed or the "it" factor like Grier. However, the coaches did a great job of coaching him up (just like Grier) and he did his best to follow their lead.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe the real question should be can Grier measure up to the last starter we had that left for another team.

4,026 passing yards 27 Passing TDs rating 154.1 :D
You mean the only UF QB in the NFL?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You mean the only UF QB in the NFL?

There are 2 former UF QBs (not counting dual role players) in the NFL I think from when Muschamp was the coach. I think Brissett was just placed on Inactive status for Belichick to add a non QB to the roster and risk going with 2 in the playoffs because he has the receiver that played some QB before as an emergency backup.

Last edited:

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I'll get nailed for this one but...

It's a shame that board members feel like they's get attacked for discussing things with reasonable ideas.

turrible.md.jpg

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
All this "the Griers" stuff is foppy gossip. Will committed a private, personal indiscretion; he did not go out,
get drunk, clobber a girl, sexually assault anyone, burglarize other's property, brandish a gun, etc. It was
a private personal mistake that got checked. Yes, it was still a violation, but did his body look pumped up to
any obvious advantage? Nope.

Will followed the typical pattern of a kid who loved playing FB. He waited his turn at UF. He cried because
he lost his opportunity to play for UF. He worried that Mac had a connected favorite and that Mac would
maintain a lingering demotion on him that would keep LDR on-field even if he, Grier, outperformed LDR in
practices. ? No kid who's spent his life outcompeting every challenging QB he's faced does such an
un-football idea like asking for a guarantee to be made the starting QB. It doesn't come in, not even from
a lifetime football coach Dad = foppy gossip.

Grier was not an inadequate QB. What we have had since has been inadequate QBs. du-du-du That's all folks.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Does anyone know if he is the starter next year? And when he is eligible to play? I read where WVU was trying to get the suspension reduced so he could play Week 1, but I'm not sure it happened.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Does anyone know if he is the starter next year? And when he is eligible to play? I read where WVU was trying to get the suspension reduced so he could play Week 1, but I'm not sure it happened.

He enrolled at WVU in May and Holgorsen thinks base on the timing of his transfer that he'll be eligible for the start of the 2017 season.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
?
He enrolled at WVU in May and Holgorsen thinks base on the timing of his transfer that he'll be eligible for the start of the 2017 season.

I have failed to find one single official statement remarking on moving Grier's eligibility to allow him to play
at the start of the season. If there is an allowance what's holding up the official acknowledgment?
That would be a hot sports news article?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
?

I have failed to find one single official statement remarking on moving Grier's eligibility to allow him to play
at the start of the season. If there is an allowance what's holding up the official acknowledgment?
That would be a hot sports news article?

There's nothing official on it and won't be for some time. Holgorsen is inserting his opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.