Will Grier, the legend

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
he’s putting up big numbers on teams like Baylor and Kansas.

Help me out here. Does Oklahoma play Baylor or Kansas?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Or he’s playing in a system that has made horrible QBs look like All Americans and he’s putting up big numbers on teams like Baylor and Kansas. I’d say the same thing if he were any other slapdick system QB. He’s a modern Timmy Chang.
You STILL haven't given us your opinions on his abilities. STFU about the system for a second and tell us if you think he's a good QB.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
This debate frustrates me.

It frustrates me because I agree..and disagree..with both sides.

Yes, I think Grier is a good quarterback. Despite the “system”, he is putting up big numbers. Could he do that in the SEC? No way. But was he a good quarterback with good potential here? Absolutely. Would we be better off if he’d stayed? Possibly, maybe even probably.

Do I think we should have done anything to keep him here? Absolutely not. The kid was a douchebag and still is a douchebag. Look at that picture...that’s a guy that should get a throatpunch as soon as possible. He’s got “team cancer” written all over him. The reality is, he will most likely be successful, and will most likely get a shot at the next level, and will put up big numbers.

It is clear that Mac puts high importance on team unity and unselfishness - characteristics that Grier doesn’t demonstrate. Let’s face it - if we were winning, we would all be saying that our “team first” attitude is the reason. It clearly isn’t, but we all know that a bunch of “me first” kids never reach the top of the mountain.

No matter how much Crete or ox or anyone wants to pretend they are privy to the conversations and actions of all involved...none of us know what actually transpired. You have no idea what was said, or done, by either party (including Grier’s father). If this kid and his daddy were looking for a guarantee, then I’m glad Mac didn’t give it.

Net/net is..the kid’s not here. It’s unfortunate, and if you hate Mac, you’re gonna blame him. I don’t hate Mac, I just don’t think he’s the right guy, but my gut says the kid and his father put down an ultimatum, and if so, I think Mac would be right to say “you gotta do what you gotta do”.

Fire away.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This debate frustrates me.

It frustrates me because I agree..and disagree..with both sides.

Yes, I think Grier is a good quarterback. Despite the “system”, he is putting up big numbers. Could he do that in the SEC? No way. But was he a good quarterback with good potential here? Absolutely. Would we be better off if he’d stayed? Possibly, maybe even probably.

Do I think we should have done anything to keep him here? Absolutely not. The kid was a douchebag and still is a douchebag. Look at that picture...that’s a guy that should get a throatpunch as soon as possible. He’s got “team cancer” written all over him. The reality is, he will most likely be successful, and will most likely get a shot at the next level, and will put up big numbers.

It is clear that Mac puts high importance on team unity and unselfishness - characteristics that Grier doesn’t demonstrate. Let’s face it - if we were winning, we would all be saying that our “team first” attitude is the reason. It clearly isn’t, but we all know that a bunch of “me first” kids never reach the top of the mountain.

No matter how much Crete or ox or anyone wants to pretend they are privy to the conversations and actions of all involved...none of us know what actually transpired. You have no idea what was said, or done, by either party (including Grier’s father). If this kid and his daddy were looking for a guarantee, then I’m glad Mac didn’t give it.

Net/net is..the kid’s not here. It’s unfortunate, and if you hate Mac, you’re gonna blame him. I don’t hate Mac, I just don’t think he’s the right guy, but my gut says the kid and his father put down an ultimatum, and if so, I think Mac would be right to say “you gotta do what you gotta do”.

Fire away.
I don't think there's a chance in hell they put up an ultimatum. Not one sliver of a chance. Mac never cared for him and loved LDR. I could not possibly disagree more that Mac shouldn't have done everything possible to keep him here, even if it meant kissing his father on his bare hairy ass. Mac is now going to get fired because of his arrogance, largely this single decision alone. Yes, HE'S the one that's far more arrogant than Grier. He just KNEW he could take any old QB and make him great. He failed to take into account that he's an incompetent offensive mind that could take Dan Marino and ruin him.

He's one of the worst QB coaches in the country. He's inept. A clown. A buffoon. He makes Charlie Weis look like Bill Walsh. Kurt Roper coaches rings around him on offense. Hell, maybe even Brent Pease. He's actually completely the opposite of what we were looking for after Muschamp. We could not have made a worse hire. Bringing Ron Zook back would have been ten times better than this nincompoop.

Personally, I think a QB has to be cocky to be great. For the most part I think teammates respond to ultra-confidence from their QB's. His demeanor doesn't bother me in the slightest, because he can back it up. He's been a gunslinger his whole life. Comparing him to Clint Trickett is a laughable joke.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You'd have to be blind to miss his attributes.
  • Size
  • Arm
  • Release
  • Confidence
  • Pocket awareness
  • Ability to go through the progressions
  • Agility
  • Running ability
The guy is the total package. We let him go. We'll never know if we did for the right reasons. We're left with conjecture.

And Gator football plods on.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
‘78’s man crush on Grier reaching uncomfortable levels. :fear:

Nah, just trying to punctuate the conversation. Hey, I'm a Gator. I want what's best for my team. This wasn't what was best.

Nevertheless, I get the angst this thread causes.

Steve, you're a good guy. I never stopped thinking that.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
@oxrageous, Your blind love for Grier is well documented, and continues to be evident. Do you have a diorama of him?

While you “don’t think for a chance there was an ultimatum”, admit that you don’t know. I do happen to have direct insight from someone who knows the Griers directly that throughout his youth football career in NC, Daddy Grier had a horrible reputation of trying to manipulate youth football team rosters, and basically pissed off the entire community with his attempts to manipulate the system....in youth football. Classy guy. I’m sure, though, that he didn’t try to manipulate anything with Mac, because it would be so out of character.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Imagine once he gets to NFL and we have Scam, Brissett, and Grier starting in the league.
Because our program is so good our failures succeed at the next level
man-smiling-happy-hanging-up-himself-his-thumb-up-30759482.jpg

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You'd have to be blind to miss his attributes.
  • Size
  • Arm
  • Release
  • Confidence
  • Pocket awareness
  • Ability to go through the progressions
  • Agility
  • Running ability
The guy is the total package. We let him go. We'll never know if we did for the right reasons. We're left with conjecture.

And Gator football plods on.
You forgot composure.

Accuracy too.

DeltaGlamma

Born a Gator
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
If I had to guess what went wrong, I would guess that Grier was not impressed with Nuss and that is what did him in. It always amazed me that Chimp was able to recruit him, turns out UF was his dream school. As I recall Del Rio followed Nuss around the country and that is how he endeared himself to MacnCrew.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If I had to guess what went wrong, I would guess that Grier was not impressed with Nuss and that is what did him in. It always amazed me that Chimp was able to recruit him, turns out UF was his dream school. As I recall Del Rio followed Nuss around the country and that is how he endeared himself to MacnCrew.

This is not an unreasonable speculation, esp given Chad being involved. It makes a lot of sense.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
While you “don’t think for a chance there was an ultimatum”, admit that you don’t know. I do happen to have direct insight from someone who knows the Griers directly that throughout his youth football career in NC, Daddy Grier had a horrible reputation of trying to manipulate youth football team rosters, and basically pissed off the entire community with his attempts to manipulate the system....in youth football. Classy guy. I’m sure, though, that he didn’t try to manipulate anything with Mac, because it would be so out of character
I know and no he didn't manipulate anything.....But LDR and his Daddy sure made their presence known.....:suspect2:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wait, was Treon the one who planted steroids and cocaine in Grier? Or LDR? I thought I understood Crete's report from his inside sources as identifying Treon as the rat. Now those sources have fingered LDR and JDR?

I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo confused now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator