Recruiting Will Miles' series on the QB battle (Updated 3/26/18) (links to all articles on Post 1)

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Will Miles is legit and posts up some interesting stuff, good numbers guy.

I personally hope someone else besides Toney is the full-time QB (so Toney can play more of a Percy role). But he should definitely be considered.

Thanks for posting this up @Durfish

I've been in the woods (at the cabin in Shenandoah County) - how did you guys make out during the wind storm? I had 2 huge pine trees come down in the driveway - thank fully the chainsaw was working fine! Lost power for 10 hours). That storm was crazy!
We're good down here in Augusta. 30-40 knot gusts Thursday night/Friday. Power was out in Crozet Friday night and Saturday but should be on by now. One of the NPs I work with took some video on her phone of a walk she and her dog took thru the woods. Heard some creaking and then suddenly two pines right in front of her came down (fortunately they fell away from her).

Sorry to hear about your trees but glad the power came back!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

Being a preferred walkon at Houston Baptist (Div 3 has no real scholarships) isn't an "offer".

Trash is gone at the end of this semester. Unfortunately, there is no room for a Jake Allen either. He needs to go somewhere that he might have a chance to play. Maybe FAU.

Swonkey, you do love sports opinion. Bet you enjoyed researching your book "Intramural Sports at Auschwitz"

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
I want a qb who can make reads and throws. I could care less if he has a cannon if he can’t makea read.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I want a qb who can make reads and throws. I could care less if he has a cannon if he can’t makea read.

And if his oline can't block, his receivers run the proper routes including adjustments, and catch the ball the best QB won't be effective. We also need an effective running game to keep defenses in check. It is a team game.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Franks' turn.
@WillMilesSEC: New from Read and Reaction, the case for Feleipe Franks to be the #Gators QB in 2018. https://www.readandreaction.com/201...r-feleipe-franks-to-be-the-gators-qb-in-2018/
Saw it post last night but had to "attend" to my bride of 8 months. Thanks for posting, Williston.

Two paragraphs that hit it on the head for me when considering Franks' body of work...

"You can talk about scheme and reading defenses all you want, but if a QB doesn’t trust his instincts, the ball is always going to be late."

This really was it for me when watching Franks last year, and when you look back on Nuss' fairly consistent pattern of getting less out of his QBs from one year to the next (with the exception of one year at Bama) I'm inclined to place more blame for last year's lack of effectiveness on coaching than on the player. Feleipe clearly has the physical tools that Will illustrates, and Mullin has shown to be good at adapting to the strengths of his QB. I'm hoping for a fun QB battle this spring/summer.

"All of the chatter coming out of the program right now points towards Franks having the ability to galvanize the players and as the hardest worker on the team. His teammates clearly haven’t given up on him, and they see the work he’s putting in. That leadership and buy-in means something, particularly with a coaching transition underway."

Everything I hear (admittedly not a whole lot, but from sources here and other places) points to Franks taking a Tebow-like posture when it comes to work and preparation. He wants to be the best at everything. I respect that. Teammates respect that. Now if he can get some confidence in being a vocal, fiery leader I think confidence will grow along all three lines...staff, teammates, and self.

I would love to see this kid succeed. He is the anit-LDR in terms of supporting school and team.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Saw it post last night but had to "attend" to my bride of 8 months. Thanks for posting, Williston.

Two paragraphs that hit it on the head for me when considering Franks' body of work...

"You can talk about scheme and reading defenses all you want, but if a QB doesn’t trust his instincts, the ball is always going to be late."

This really was it for me when watching Franks last year, and when you look back on Nuss' fairly consistent pattern of getting less out of his QBs from one year to the next (with the exception of one year at Bama) I'm inclined to place more blame for last year's lack of effectiveness on coaching than on the player. Feleipe clearly has the physical tools that Will illustrates, and Mullin has shown to be good at adapting to the strengths of his QB. I'm hoping for a fun QB battle this spring/summer.

"All of the chatter coming out of the program right now points towards Franks having the ability to galvanize the players and as the hardest worker on the team. His teammates clearly haven’t given up on him, and they see the work he’s putting in. That leadership and buy-in means something, particularly with a coaching transition underway."

Everything I hear (admittedly not a whole lot, but from sources here and other places) points to Franks taking a Tebow-like posture when it comes to work and preparation. He wants to be the best at everything. I respect that. Teammates respect that. Now if he can get some confidence in being a vocal, fiery leader I think confidence will grow along all three lines...staff, teammates, and self.

I would love to see this kid succeed. He is the anit-LDR in terms of supporting school and team.

Did you see the video Mullen posted of the players playing basketball? Franks is very prominent in the video (he's also 6'5 and built like a power forward). He made some big dunks in the video and the players were all over him (high fiving, hugging, etc) after the dunks. Seems he's definitely in good graces/popular w/ his teammates. Now, I don't know if that translates to the football field, but having your teammates confidence is huge for a QB. He looked like a leader, or someone they admired, in the video (albeit a very short video).

Franks has also filled out more since November. He looks a solid 10+ pounds bigger. Honestly, he's got the best build to run this team right now. Jones is going to be good in the Mullen offense, but as a true freshman I hope he gets a chance to be groomed vs. thrown into action.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Did you see the video Mullen posted of the players playing basketball? Franks is very prominent in the video (he's also 6'5 and built like a power forward). He made some big dunks in the video and the players were all over him (high fiving, hugging, etc) after the dunks. Seems he's definitely in good graces/popular w/ his teammates. Now, I don't know if that translates to the football field, but having your teammates confidence is huge for a QB. He looked like a leader, or someone they admired, in the video (albeit a very short video).

Franks has also filled out more since November. He looks a solid 10+ pounds bigger. Honestly, he's got the best build to run this team right now. Jones is going to be good in the Mullen offense, but as a true freshman I hope he gets a chance to be groomed vs. thrown into action.
Yes, I saw the video and it was a lot of fun to watch. Totally agree on how Franks looks now.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

I’m reminded of Spurrier’s comment on Bobby Sabelhaus. Paraphrasing: I can teach you how to throw or where to throw it. I can’t teach you both.

I think Franks can throw. Can he be coached on decision making? The will & work ethic help immensely.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Free Toney!!!!!!!!!!!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Hoping for the best with Franks. What catapults Franks QB performance probably will be the difference-maker of how low-dropping McNuss coaching was and how uplifting Mullen-Johnson coaching is. I can "with malice" hold McNuss accountable for ruining any QB's football IQ, decision-making smarts, and leadership confidence.
In essence, McNuss 'disassemble johnny-five'.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
ahhhahahahaha...Trask for Heisman baby!
I really wish you would change you're avatar....Every time you put up a picture of one of our QB's something bad happens....
First it was Grier and he got run out of town for no good reason...
Then it was De Taco and besides blowing badly he got hurt...
What kind Avatar curse are you planning for this kid?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
1. My avatar didnt contribute to ped boy taking illegal substances like a total dumb ass.
2. My avatar didnt make del taco a lousy QB.
3. If you dont like my avatar I will never change it.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
1. My avatar didnt contribute to ped boy taking illegal substances like a total dumb ass.
2. My avatar didnt make del taco a lousy QB.
3. If you dont like my avatar I will never change it.

:lmao:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think Franks can throw. Can he be coached on decision making? The will & work ethic help immensely.
Mehhh.....the last two jackholes who have coached our teams preached lack of turnovers as the end all be all. No risk little reward was their thing. It made the QBs afraid to pull the trigger and reward them for punts. It was a scheme problem above all else.

Can Franks overcome that? I dont know but he is alot more talented than most of the QBs that Mullinz has coaches save Tebow and Scam. Let's not forget Scam looked like he was firing North Korean missiles or bottle rockets his freshman year. Who knew where they were going to go.

Franks wasnt ready last year and had no business being on the field. It was obvious by the spring game. Too late to fix that now and many kids that play too early never overcome it. We will see.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Mehhh.....the last two jackholes who have coached our teams preached lack of turnovers as the end all be all. No risk little reward was their thing. It made the QBs afraid to pull the trigger and reward them for punts. It was a scheme problem above all else.
I kind of have this same issue with penalties. Stupid, procedural stuff like illegal procedure, substitution infractions, and delay of game are...well...stupid. Penalties on the edge of aggressiveness, not so much. I want my defenders to feel free to hit. If a few hits are a millisecond or two late I'm good with those penalties.

Interesting to note that the teams who are usually near the top of the SEC frequently have more personal fouls than the bottom dwellers.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
It is nice to hear that Franks is working hard. This time a year ago, everyone was saying how lazy he was and how he didn't even try to learn the play book.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It is nice to hear that Franks is working hard. This time a year ago, everyone was saying how lazy he was and how he didn't even try to learn the play book.
Some of those kids have huge egos and have gotten by with raw talent. Sometimes it takes falling on your face to figure it out.

Danny Wuerffel looked like a career backup as a rs freshman.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
You got a hummer from del taco? With those teeth?.?. No wonder it was bad. Brave man! Gay. But brave.
Yeah right.....Did you ever figure out the gender of that plump redheaded Barner you bragged about on here a while back....I've heard those Alabama Wesson Oil parties are best kept secret between family members....Any truth to that, Bama Boy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.