Willie Taggart Advocates?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yeah, he isnt overcoming the adversity.

I will say it is unfair to compare Chimp to Taggart. Chimp is generally pretty decent at putting together a defense. Taggart is good at nothing.

A moment ago, the color guy said the gamecocks were losing their composure. I was shocked and refused to believe.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
This roster is flat out dog sheeit. Any coach we hire gets two years for free before we start the 3-4 year timer. So who the hell cares if it’s taggart? If he sucks at least he’ll load it up for the next guy.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
And he doesn’t have his second string. The 5 games without was with a 3rd string walk on.

NetEngGator

Nov 5, 2017
Taggart is all about perspective. When we whiff on Frost, revisit how we feel about him. When we whiff on Norvell, revisit how we feel about him. Taggart is not my first choice ... but at this point, I am kinda thinking like Slevin ... go get him, cheap, load up the roster for the next guy while we put the rest of the $ we saved on paying a coach towards facilities. I kinda like putting Strong in for that role but that would be a disaster style break up down the road. Strong is good people but I just dont think he can win in the SEC and I would hate to see him go through the grinder.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
:ohboy: This may not end well, Nerves of the Nation are raw from being on CK crisis alert a few weeks and today, tomahawked on our home turf. I'm in a bad mood to discuss this right now :grin:

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Yeah, he isnt overcoming the adversity.

I will say it is unfair to compare Chimp to Taggart. Chimp is generally pretty decent at putting together a defense. Taggart is good at nothing.
Are you high?

TAGGART took over complete dumpster fires at WKU, USF and Oregon. USF was so bad they got beat by 30+ points by mcneese state in his first game. He had to rebuild their entire team. His record doesn't look good because it took him time. He's turned Oregon around from 4-8 to 7-5 without his top 2 QBs. Maintained the offense at #33 and improved their defense from #126 to #50 with a top 10 class to boot. I wouldn't expect a guy who thinks Mississippi St has been a great program and won SEC West a lot to grasp facts really well. Taggart is the best available option besides Chip or Frost.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Are you high?

TAGGART took over complete dumpster fires at WKU, USF and Oregon. USF was so bad they got beat by 30+ points by mcneese state in his first game. He had to rebuild their entire team. His record doesn't look good because it took him time. He's turned Oregon around from 4-8 to 7-5 without his top 2 QBs. Maintained the offense at #33 and improved their defense from #126 to #50 with a top 10 class to boot. I wouldn't expect a guy who thinks Mississippi St has been a great program and won the SEC to grasp facts really well. Taggart is the best available option besides Chip or Frost.

Nothing like an argument that starts with a 30 point loss to McNeese St. as it’s crux.

If only I’d known that before.

I won’t try to convince those of you that are dead set on him, but I’ll say this. The ultimate winners won’t take on challenges that they know they’ll lose(see Meyer’s resume), because it only delays their ascent to the top. Doing so 3 times is absolutely a serious red flag.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Nothing like an argument that starts with a 30 point loss to McNeese St. as it’s crux.

If only I’d known that before.

I won’t try to convince those of you that are dead set on him, but I’ll say this. The ultimate winners won’t take on challenges that they know they’ll lose(see Meyer’s resume), because it only delays their ascent to the top. Doing so 3 times is absolutely a serious red flag.
the mcneese state loss was a testament to how bad skip holtz left usf.
How is it a red flag? So a coach rebuilt 3 programs and it's bad because he made them better? Wtf where do you come up with these garbage arguments.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Are you high?.
Yes, the white man is keeping him down, giving him terrible rosters which take him forever to get to 7-5.

The good news is Oregon hates him and will likely fire him next year. Immediate buyers remorse. If he is really the recruiting bees knees we can hire him as a recruiting analyst for next to nothing.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Here we go.

Hasn’t even been talked to and message boards already burying him 20 feet under. Unreal. Get some ****ing perspective.

He’s our 4th option, before Strong. We don’t get Kelly. And if we miss on Frost or Norvell we have to hire somebody. But some of you would rather have nobody? He averages 50 points a game at Oregon with a team that had hardly any talent on it thanks to Helfrich. I don’t particularly like Taggart at all, but Jesus Christ id take him ten fold over strong or Mullen. He’d at least rebuild the talent level.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Yes, the white man is keeping him down, giving him terrible rosters which take him forever to get to 7-5.

The good news is Oregon hates him and will likely fire him next year. Immediate buyers remorse. If he is really the recruiting bees knees we can hire him as a recruiting analyst for next to nothing.
Where was race mentioned?
He turned USF from 3-9 to 10-2 in 3 years. Oregon fans love him. You are insane and going on ignore. I cant discuss someone who first has no clue wtf he's talking about and then pulls the race card because he has no argument.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
the mcneese state loss was a testament to how bad skip holtz left usf.
How is it a red flag? So a coach rebuilt 3 programs and it's bad because he made them better? Wtf where do you come up with these garbage arguments.

You really think any team, in Florida no less, should ever lose to McNeese St by 30 or more. I don’t care how bad the roster is, no championship caliber coach allows that to happen. Even in our 4-8 season, down to our 3rd string QB, we were within a play of beating GSU. And that guy was fired a year later. My argument stands.

And I’ll repeat, a championship caliber coach doesn’t take on such a daunting—potentially career killing—challenge THREE times. It only delays his rise to a place like UF.

Again, you have no valid argument other than you like him and/or are related. In either event, sorry, no.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
If he’s even allowed to set foot on campus we’ll be the laughingstock of college football. Even more so.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
You really think any team, in Florida no less, should ever lose to McNeese St by 30 or more. I don’t care how bad the roster is, no championship caliber coach allows that to happen. Even in our 4-8 season, down to our 3rd string QB, we were within a play of beating GSU. And that guy was fired a year later. My argument stands.

And I’ll repeat, a championship caliber coach doesn’t take on such a daunting—potentially career killing—challenge THREE times. It only delays his rise to a place like UF.

Again, you have no valid argument other than you like him and/or are related. In either event, sorry, no.
What? If anyone has no argument it's you. Great coaches take on rebuilds all the time. Butch at Miami, Carroll at USC, Saban at Toledo, Bama, Michigan state, etc.

After finishing his playing career at WKU in 1998, Taggart stayed on as an assistant through 2006. His first year he was wide receivers coach in 1999 and served as the quarterbacks coach in 2000. In 2001, Taggart was promoted to co-offensive coordinator. In 2002, Taggart's offense set a school record for points (432), total yards (5,479), and first downs (263) in a season that ended with the 2002 NCAA Division I-AA national title. The Hilltoppers averaged 38.8 points during the playoffs.

Taggart was promoted to assistant head coach in 2003. Taggart coached quarterback Justin Haddix, who set school career records with 8,890 yards of total offense, a 57.1 completion percentage, 50 touchdowns and a 137.28 pass efficiency rating.

When Jim Harbaugh was named head coach of Stanford following the 2006 season, he hired Taggart as his running backs coach.

In 2008, Stanford finished second in the Pac-10 with 199.6 yards per game on the ground. The team's 2,395 rushing yards were the third-highest in school history and Toby Gerhart became the fifth running back in school history to eclipse 1,000 yards.

In 2009, Gerhart finished second in the country with 144.7 yards per game and earned the Doak Walker Award, given to the nation's top running back. He finished second in Heisman voting. Stanford's 2,692 rushing yards broke the school's single-season mark, set in 1949.

Taggart left Stanford after 2009 to go back to Western Kentucky, taking over as head coach after WKU's 0-12 season. Taggart went 2-10 during his first year before recording back-to-back seven-win seasons with the Hilltoppers in 2011 and 2012. The Hilltoppers' jump from a 2-6 Sun Belt record in 2010 to 7-1 in 2011 was the largest one-year turnaround in conference history.

While at WKU, Taggart coached running back Bobby Rainey, who was named Sun Belt Offensive Player of the Year in 2010 and 2011. In 2012, Antonio Andrews, Rainey's replacement, totaled 2,977 all-purpose yards.

Taggart had the top recruiting classes in the Sun Belt Conference in 2010 and 2011.

Taggart's success at WKU led to his hiring at South Florida prior to the 2013 season. At 37 years old, Taggart was, at the time, the fifth-youngest coach in the FBS when he was hired.

Taggart took over a Bulls program that went 3-9 under Skip Holtz in 2012. Like at WKU, Taggart went 2-10 during his first season before sparking a program turnaround. USF improved to 3-8 in 2014, 8-5 in 2015 and is currently 10-2 in 2016 with a spot in the Birmingham Bowl against South Carolina waiting.

Taggart runs what he calls his "Gulf Coast Offense" at USF, which set 33 program records this season, including all-time scoring, total touchdowns, total yards, rushing yards, yards per play, yards per carry and yards and points per game marks.

USF's current No. 25 ranking in the AP Poll is just the second time in school history the Bulls have finished the regular season ranked.

Like Oregon, Taggart's 2016 Bulls are renowned for their high-powered offense and slightly porous defense. USF ranked fifth in the nation this year with 43.6 points per game. On the flip side, the 31 points allowed per game ranked 88th in the nation -- the worst defensive season in Taggart's tenure at South Florida.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2016/12/from_western_kentucky_to_orego.html

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
What? If anyone has no argument it's you. Great coaches take on rebuilds all the time. Butch at Miami, Carroll at USC, Saban at Toledo, Bama, Michigan state, etc.

After finishing his playing career at WKU in 1998, Taggart stayed on as an assistant through 2006. His first year he was wide receivers coach in 1999 and served as the quarterbacks coach in 2000. In 2001, Taggart was promoted to co-offensive coordinator. In 2002, Taggart's offense set a school record for points (432), total yards (5,479), and first downs (263) in a season that ended with the 2002 NCAA Division I-AA national title. The Hilltoppers averaged 38.8 points during the playoffs.

Taggart was promoted to assistant head coach in 2003. Taggart coached quarterback Justin Haddix, who set school career records with 8,890 yards of total offense, a 57.1 completion percentage, 50 touchdowns and a 137.28 pass efficiency rating.

When Jim Harbaugh was named head coach of Stanford following the 2006 season, he hired Taggart as his running backs coach.

In 2008, Stanford finished second in the Pac-10 with 199.6 yards per game on the ground. The team's 2,395 rushing yards were the third-highest in school history and Toby Gerhart became the fifth running back in school history to eclipse 1,000 yards.

In 2009, Gerhart finished second in the country with 144.7 yards per game and earned the Doak Walker Award, given to the nation's top running back. He finished second in Heisman voting. Stanford's 2,692 rushing yards broke the school's single-season mark, set in 1949.

Taggart left Stanford after 2009 to go back to Western Kentucky, taking over as head coach after WKU's 0-12 season. Taggart went 2-10 during his first year before recording back-to-back seven-win seasons with the Hilltoppers in 2011 and 2012. The Hilltoppers' jump from a 2-6 Sun Belt record in 2010 to 7-1 in 2011 was the largest one-year turnaround in conference history.

While at WKU, Taggart coached running back Bobby Rainey, who was named Sun Belt Offensive Player of the Year in 2010 and 2011. In 2012, Antonio Andrews, Rainey's replacement, totaled 2,977 all-purpose yards.

Taggart had the top recruiting classes in the Sun Belt Conference in 2010 and 2011.

Taggart's success at WKU led to his hiring at South Florida prior to the 2013 season. At 37 years old, Taggart was, at the time, the fifth-youngest coach in the FBS when he was hired.

Taggart took over a Bulls program that went 3-9 under Skip Holtz in 2012. Like at WKU, Taggart went 2-10 during his first season before sparking a program turnaround. USF improved to 3-8 in 2014, 8-5 in 2015 and is currently 10-2 in 2016 with a spot in the Birmingham Bowl against South Carolina waiting.

Taggart runs what he calls his "Gulf Coast Offense" at USF, which set 33 program records this season, including all-time scoring, total touchdowns, total yards, rushing yards, yards per play, yards per carry and yards and points per game marks.

USF's current No. 25 ranking in the AP Poll is just the second time in school history the Bulls have finished the regular season ranked.

Like Oregon, Taggart's 2016 Bulls are renowned for their high-powered offense and slightly porous defense. USF ranked fifth in the nation this year with 43.6 points per game. On the flip side, the 31 points allowed per game ranked 88th in the nation -- the worst defensive season in Taggart's tenure at South Florida.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2016/12/from_western_kentucky_to_orego.html

So my position is based upon and firmly supported by a career losing record spanning 8 seasons, and your argument is essentially “you are” and biased conjecture.

I’ll be very honest. You’ve almost sold me. I really had no idea that an Oregon based outlet would spin his recorded in a positive way.

Again, sorry, no. I’m sure he’s a decent guy. Most great recruiters are. But we need a definitive winner. And he’s simply shown nothing to imply that he is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator