Wine - Don't mix your bottles with her bottles

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So I was told by wine rep, whose flagship was merlot, an interesting story about Pinot Noir and why it sucks. So I go to a wine tasting at Tipple's in G'ville a good many years back, when Matt still owned it. Got to talking with a Shafer rep and told him I hated merlot. He assured me I just never had a good merlot, and poured me their merlot. It was good, but needed to cellar for 2-5 yrs, but it was good, and at $80 I understood why. Then he poured me their high end $300+ merlot, and I was done. Nope I don't hate merlot, I hate shytty merlot.

He laughed and said, well back in the 50's or so, some way long time ago, merlot was popular. So a bunch of shytty farmers started growing shytty merlot vines on shytty land....well not shytty land, but land better suited for something else. And poof, shytty merlot all over the place. Then the movie Sideways comes out and every pair of tits is crazy about pinot noir. Do you like pinot noir?

Me: no, pinot is too thin and fragile. most of the time it has this dank note to it. But I have had good Pinot Noir, and I do like the good ones.

Well, there's a lot of shytty pinot noir on the market now because of Sideways. So all of those shytty farmer growing shytty merlot vines, ripped them up and planted pinot noir and started making shytty pinot noir.

Then after a couple snide comments about people acting like douchebags while drinking their wine, he poured me a full pour of the $300 good merlot and I went about my evening.
:fistbump: My Man.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Sooo... I was given a bottle of Wren Hop Skeleton Slide 2017 Pinot Noir for my birthday from a buddy. I brought home and put it on the rack with my wife’s stash that included 12 other bottles. Last night I look over and she’s cracking open the Wren Hop bottle. I’m like WTF. She drank almost the entire bottle minus my sip.

Similar story. Just a random Tues/Wed, I come home and my wife and a buddy's wife are sitting at the table having a glass of wine and some cheese. I think nothing of it and say hello, before realizing it was a 2014 Silver Oak Alexander Valley. I'm like, "hey Kardashians, what are you doing"? Then she tells me they're only having the one glass, not finish it, which actually makes the whole thing worse. Said she just grabbed something from the cooler.

I really try to not drink during the week, so I stared at a corked bottle of it until Friday. I've also rearranged the bottles with all the better ones at the bottom, less convenient to reach.

Last edited:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Great and Pinot Noir don’t go together.
In the interest of full disclosure, I was exaggerating when I called Rochioli great. It would have been more accurate to call it very, very good. The only true great PN's I've had were from Burgundy. Mrs G and I once had a bottle of a Domaine Romanee-Conti Grand Cru, from a particularly good vintage, that was truly spectacular. I have had a lot of great wine in my life, but that one was still far and away the best one.
@alcoholica in his post above, is absolutely correct about the effect of the movie "Sideways" on the growing of PN in the US. I completely agree that bad PN is truly disgusting and sometimes barely drinkable. And while I knew there was a lot of bad Merlot being made in the US, the story of why I had not heard before, but it makes a lot of sense. I've personally only had a few Merlots from the US that I really liked, but the ones I had from Pomerol (in Bordeaux) were awesome. Sadly, they have gotten crazy expensive.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Similar story. Just a random Tues/Wed, I come home and my wife and a buddy's wife are sitting at the table having a glass of wine and some cheese. I think nothing of it and say hello, before realizing it was a 2014 Silver Oak Alexander Valley. I'm like, "hey Kardashians, what are you doing"? Then she tells me they're only having the one glass, not finish it, which actually makes the whole thing worse. Said she just grabbed something from the cooler.

I really try to not drink during the week, so I stared at a corked bottle of it until Friday. I've also rearranged the bottles with all the better ones at the bottom, less convenient to reach.
At Mrs. G's request, I created the "Mrs G. rack" (no not that one), that is a wine rack with a mix of different bottles for occasions like you described. I always ensure it's a good variety of wines, but nothing I'll regret not sharing in. It has ensured years of marital harmony!

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@soflagator @Gator By Marriage

Since we are in full disclosure here, I have to take responsibility for the wide opening my bottle. I put it in her rack I also created. I was too lazy when I got home with it to put it in my fridge thinking I’d open it sooner than later. There’s a reason she has her own rack I keep stocked. I slipped. I own it. I won’t let it happen again.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

Since we are in full disclosure here, I have to take responsibility for the wide opening my bottle. I put it in her rack I also created. I was too lazy when I got home with it to put it in my fridge thinking I’d open it sooner than later. There’s a reason she has her own rack I keep stocked. I slipped. I own it. I won’t let it happen again.
Way to man up and admit it. At the risk of sounding patronizing, I'm proud of you.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

The admission says a lot about your character. Well done.

I'd also like to comment on how impressed I am with the sophistication of the Wine thread. Here you've got a guy referencing his wife's rack twice in the same post, and not a single call for pics or some other crude comment. Says a lot. You won't find that type of maturity anywhere else.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks guys. I do feel a lot better now and I'm glad the childish behavior hasn't mad it's way in this thread.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
You are absolutely correct. Clearly I was blind drunk at the time.

We just gotta make sure this place doesn't turn into swampgas or hundreds of other sh*tty message boards with terrible thread titles! No mercy!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb