Winners and losers from the OBG

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;n208651 said:
Humphries is going 1st round because scouts are enamored with the player he will be, not the player he is currently.

The measurables. They're all about the measurables. He's fast, has quick feet, can jump high, etc. He's a former basketball player who has great athleticism for a big man. Whether or not he ever translates all that to look and play like a first rounder is yet to be determined. Hope he does. He's a Gator so I wish him the best.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n208627 said:
There is no way that any QB or RB looks good behind the OL we have. The injuries to Thurman and Johnson are huge... we could not afford that and if Johnson doesn't make it back (I doubt he is back for the start of season) then we are really hurting. I know Ivey is a 5*, but the kid is underweight right now to be an SEC starter.

Ivey says he is around 290 now but made a comment about being back around 280 once he is in camp. I guess he thinks it will be hard to keep on once he is practicing and even if he did keep it on it will be tough for a true freshman in SEC play. I remember Georgia having a starting line with about 4 freshman one season years ago and they played decent but they were all redshirts if I remember correctly which makes a big difference.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I watched Harkless throughout that game. He made Justus Reed look like a first round pick. It bordered on embarrassment. He didn't look like that in last year's spring game. However, in last year's game he played LT. He may strictly be a LT. Moving for LT to RT isn't easy. If Ivey wants that spot it is his for the taking.

He was a little hard on Guy. A lot of the time, Guy had white walk-ons and a true fresh at receiver behind that o-line. He locked on to Jackson, the true fresh, almost every time. lol. I felt sorry for him.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
maheo30;n208697 said:
I watched Harkless throughout that game. He made Justus Reed look like a first round pick. It bordered on embarrassment. He didn't look like that in last year's spring game. However, in last year's game he played LT. He may strictly be a LT. Moving for LT to RT isn't easy. If Ivey wants that spot it is his for the taking.

He was a little hard on Guy. A lot of the time, Guy had white walk-ons and a true fresh at receiver behind that o-line. He locked on to Jackson, the true fresh, almost every time. lol. I felt sorry for him.

I agree it didn't tell us much about Guy except he isn't in the running to actually be higher than the 3rd QB. I don't think hardly anything got done on offense when the backups were mostly in except maybe a few short quick receptions. Lane was getting wrapped up right when the ball went to him also.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n208663 said:
Summers only had Humphries for one year, that's not enough to clear out the other years of bad coaching.
This, because there was definite improvement from the previous year. Summer did a decent job his first year with the position, I expect him to take all these young kids that are green and instill correct techniques. So after a little weight gain and experience, this guys are going to be dominant in 2 years.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n208586 said:
Funny. We will see how Grier looks under real SEC pressure. Hopefully he adapts well but you never know until SEC play starts.
The good news is that we don't have to hear any more of this talk of Pile o' Morningsh!t and Jackknob Gay breaking through as starters.

I'm kind of surprised that walk-on DL Mathew Fuks wasn't mentioned. He had a very good game and probably moved himself into the rotation.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
PastyStoole;n208738 said:
The good news is that we don't have to hear any more of this talk of Pile o' Morningsh!t and Jackknob Gay breaking through as starters.

I'm kind of surprised that walk-on DL Mathew Fuks wasn't mentioned. He had a very good game and probably moved himself into the rotation.

Rolin seemed to be hustling out there also. I think he may have had more tackles than anyone. If he isn't quite 100% as they say that is a good sign.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n208874 said:
Rolin seemed to be hustling out there also. I think he may have had more tackles than anyone. If he isn't quite 100% as they say that is a good sign.
I was encouraged by the play of Holin'. We have some talent and depth on D there is no doubt. I think they may be considering moving Fuks back to OL which might help out some, but we have some serious problems again on the offensive side of the ball.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
PastyStoole;n208738 said:

When his name was first mentioned, I just assumed he'd be riding the pine. No surprise there.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Gator Fever;n208696 said:
Ivey says he is around 290 now but made a comment about being back around 280 once he is in camp. I guess he thinks it will be hard to keep on once he is practicing and even if he did keep it on it will be tough for a true freshman in SEC play. I remember Georgia having a starting line with about 4 freshman one season years ago and they played decent but they were all redshirts if I remember correctly which makes a big difference.

Theus and Tunsil both started as freshmen at tackle as well as Koujwhatever for Bama. They all did pretty well and I'm sure there have been others. My bigger concern is if Sharpe is going to be good as a LT. I wonder if most people on this board realize Ivey's HS offense was a primitive winged T. It was so prehistoric that Law would say it makes Bob Davies/Urchan Criers offense look modern.....

cornbread

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ivey has to be better than our early departing first round pick

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n209545 said:
Theus and Tunsil both started as freshmen at tackle as well as Koujwhatever for Bama. They all did pretty well and I'm sure there have been others.
So, from your ability to find a couple of guys in the last decade who played ok, you opine that playing an 3 or 4 freshmen and walkons shouldn't be a problem?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Law98gator;n209640 said:
So, from your ability to find a couple of guys in the last decade who played ok, you opine that playing an 3 or 4 freshmen and walkons shouldn't be a problem?

Oh there will be plenty of problems...I think Ivey will have to take a crash course on pass blocking and I hope to god Sharpe plays at least halfway up to his ranking when he came in.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You can get away with playing one guy, especially if it's a tackle. You just give him a TE or back to help.

Forget the true freshmen. The "first team" redshirt freshmen clearly aren't even capable of blocking the walkons.

Losing both Tripp and Rod is a mighty blow. I say losing Trip because even if he is cleared in 8 months after "resting" his shoulder, he's going to be in no shape to contribute. It will take him months in the weight room just to get back to playing shape. We basically lost him. Even if he tries to play, out of a feeling of duty and necessity, he won't be the guy from last year. He should take a concrete approved medical redshirt and try it again in 16.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Law98gator;n209645 said:
You can get away with playing one guy, especially if it's a tackle. You just give him a TE or back to help.

Forget the true freshmen. The "first team" redshirt freshmen clearly aren't even capable of blocking the walkons.

Losing both Tripp and Rod is a mighty blow. I say losing Trip because even if he is cleared in 8 months after "resting" his shoulder, he's going to be in no shape to contribute. It will take him months in the weight room just to get back to playing shape. We basically lost him. Even if he tries to play, out of a feeling of duty and necessity, he won't be the guy from last year. He should take a concrete approved medical redshirt and try it again in 16.

It sucks all the way around. What's this now 4 guys who have had to quit football from our offensive line in 2 years. Your right about Thurman, it would be mid season before he would be ready at the earliest and we've seen guys give it a shot too early before. Rarely turns out good for them or the team.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n209650 said:
What's this now 4 guys who have had to quit football from our offensive line in 2 years.
That's just about normal, really. The big eaters blow out shoulders, backs, knees. It's par for the course and why you don't recruit 2 a year.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Dillmans strength and conditioning program is not good for your health

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.