WM and Driskel Talk The Read Option

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Just coach speak for Driskel didn't keep the ball for some reason when it was wide open for him to walk in the end zone one play and get a couple of big runs on some other plays when they crashed on the RB. I watched the Duke offense enough last season to know that is the case when you are in a game you are in danger of losing.

"That's where the quarterback component of the zone read is. They commit to taking the inside away and then the quarterback goes outside. I don't think the looks that we got against Kentucky were perfect for me keeping the ball."
Muschamp hinted along the same lines, though he did say there were a couple reads that Driskel could have kept the ball on. Florida obviously won't want to divulge too much information about whether the lack of Driskel keepers has been intentional if it plans to spring more of them against Alabama this week, but Muschamp's comments still offer a little additional insight.
"We do have some designed runs and we saw a quarterback power there down in the red zone that was a good call in that situation," Muschamp said. "We had a couple keeps that I felt like he could’ve kept on some plays in the zone read that he didn’t and couple that we don’t want him to keep.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I can't believe they are still holding back for Bama!

That's just stupid, unless we win, then it's brilliant!

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
deuce said:

:lol:

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n51613 said:
Just coach speak for Driskel didn't keep the ball for some reason when it was wide open for him to walk in the end zone one play and get a couple of big runs on some other plays when they crashed on the RB. I watched the Duke offense enough last season to know that is the case when you are in a game you are in danger of losing.

"That's where the quarterback component of the zone read is. They commit to taking the inside away and then the quarterback goes outside. I don't think the looks that we got against Kentucky were perfect for me keeping the ball."
Muschamp hinted along the same lines, though he did say there were a couple reads that Driskel could have kept the ball on. Florida obviously won't want to divulge too much information about whether the lack of Driskel keepers has been intentional if it plans to spring more of them against Alabama this week, but Muschamp's comments still offer a little additional insight.
"We do have some designed runs and we saw a quarterback power there down in the red zone that was a good call in that situation," Muschamp said. "We had a couple keeps that I felt like he could’ve kept on some plays in the zone read that he didn’t and couple that we don’t want him to keep.
so basically you already had your mind made up and it doesn't matter what Driskel or Muschamp say

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE-;n51624 said:
so basically you already had your mind made up and it doesn't matter what Driskel or Muschamp say

Nope some guy posted videos of the plays and it just makes you shake your head and I watched some of Duke's games last season and Muschamp is being nice to Driskel in his comments imo.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The very talented offensive teams use the QB keeper several times a game and it tears up the defense and changes
its positionings, thins them out. Against Kentucky I saw Driskel's not keeping it as stupidity, no matter where the nay-say
originated. That blame can be eradicated if we hurt Bama with it.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
For one, not all of the plays that look like zone reads are actually zone reads.
"Not all plays are called for me to be able to run the ball," Driskel said. "That's just you guys assuming that all plays are zone read.

I seem to remember saying this exact thing yesterday.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator said:
Captain Sasquatch;n51674 said:
I seem to remember saying this exact thing yesterday.
you-will-never-know-happiness-like-this.gif

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Well, it would seem that ALL of the plays that LOOK like a zone read....he should have that "option" to keep it. It was sickening seeing the open space he would have had if he kept the ball. It's unreal the missed opportunities.

You HAVE to think this is something that gets corrected this week. If not, we're dealing w/ a retard for a coach too.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
BMF;n51698 said:
Well, it would seem that ALL of the plays that LOOK like a zone read....he should have that "option" to keep it. It was sickening seeing the open space he would have had if he kept the ball. It's unreal the missed opportunities.

You HAVE to think this is something that gets corrected this week. If not, we're dealing w/ a retard for a coach too.

You ever watch a QB hand the ball off and then drop back like he's going to pass the ball even though he doesn't have it? Ever watch a running back continue running on a playaction play like he's got the ball? Ever watch a play where there's a handoff and then the QB fakes a handoff to a receiver coming around like it's a reverse? All are the exact same concept as Driskel faking the read option. It keeps the defense honest, so that when he finally does keep the ball, it looks no different than the times he doesn't have the ball. If he just handed the ball off and stood there, he wouldn't be fooling anyone when he finally pulled the ball out and ran around the end.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Why was you watching duke last year

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
BMF said:

So now we're straight up calling our quarterback a retard....awesome! Our "fans" are the best!

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
deuce said:

I think you just summed up nearly every comment with that.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n51711 said:

Miami game - loving them getting stomped by Duke and then the FSU and A&M game but I almost wish I didn't watch some of the FSU game - they shut Duke right down. Athletes in space wasn't working too good against the better athletes the defense had.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm concerned about this. What will the pumpers do when it comes down to a choice of blaming Will The Dawg or Jeffy Heisman?

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
t-gator;n51711 said:

Miami game - loving them getting stomped by Duke and then the FSU and A&M game but I almost wish I didn't watch some of the FSU game - they shut Duke right down. Athletes in space wasn't working too good against the better athletes the defense had.
I think there is some kind of hidden meaning in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator