Women’s Softball-what ails the Lady Gators this year?

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
I was at my 50th high school reunion so missed the game. Glad I did. Man, there were some old looking people there, too!! :) Anyway, great accomplishment getting this group to the WCWS. Kudos to Barnhill, Lorenz and Voss just for being Gators. Best wishes for their futures, wherever it leads. The remaining girls need to re-dedicate themselves to the program and work hard in the offseason to get better. And may the incoming freshmen truly be ready for prime time. Gooo Gators.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
If you get to the World Series 12 times and only win it twice you’re barely a notch above the Buffalo Bills of the early 90s and about on par with the mid/late 90s Atlanta Braves. That stat isn’t much to crow about.
The World Series is an 8 team tournament, not a single game like the Super Bowl or a 7 game series with two teams like the MLB World Series. Winning a batted-ball tournament of any kind is INCREDIBLY difficult. The only other team to have won more titles in that 12 year stretch is Oklahoma, who has 3 titles. Arizona State also has 2, and nobody else has more than 1. Sorry if not winning a title every year isn't up to your standards, but perhaps you could do better?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The entire performance, players/manager/assistants/et al was an embarrassment today. If you think otherwise, I know how you survived Chimp/Butters...you embraced & enjoyed the shiat show while trying to convince us that the shiat sandwich tasted like Filet Mignon.

Me, I survived it by drinking heavily...and biaatching on this board to vent my frustration!
You must be a great time at parties.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
The World Series is an 8 team tournament, not a single game like the Super Bowl or a 7 game series with two teams like the MLB World Series. Winning a batted-ball tournament of any kind is INCREDIBLY difficult. The only other team to have won more titles in that 12 year stretch is Oklahoma, who has 3 titles. Arizona State also has 2, and nobody else has more than 1. Sorry if not winning a title every year isn't up to your standards, but perhaps you could do better?
UF softball has nothing to apologize for or be ashamed about. They are an elite program and Tim Walton has the best winning percentage among active D1 coaches. Just getting to the WCWS, just like college baseball teams getting to Omaha, is really difficult. Once you get there it's a crap shoot as all 8 teams have been playing great ball and anybody can win it.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
UF softball has nothing to apologize for or be ashamed about. They are an elite program and Tim Walton has the best winning percentage among active D1 coaches. Just getting to the WCWS, just like college baseball teams getting to Omaha, is really difficult. Once you get there it's a crap shoot as all 8 teams have been playing great ball and anybody can win it.
Walton has to figure out the hitting issues we’ve been having. It’s not like we just went into a slump at the end of season, this has been an ongoing issue for four years now. We used to have about 7 or 8 girls hitting over 300 every year then it dropped to 4 or 5, this year we had 2. It’s a miracle we got as far as we did this year when the pitchers have to worry when they give up 1 or 2 runs.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
So any theories on how much small ball and bunting would have helped today's outcome?
Yeah, we wouldn't have been playing Alabama today had we beaten Ok. st and could have delayed playing a team that has seen Kelly about 20 times in the last few years. How is that for starters? Furthermore, had bama lost to Ok state yesterday they'd be gone and no team left in the tourney would have as much familiarity with Barnhill. Winning the first game in this tourney is crucial, particularly for a team that had to scrap to get there on Kelly's shoulders.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, we wouldn't have been playing Alabama today had we beaten Ok. st and could have delayed playing a team that has seen Kelly about 20 times in the last few years. How is that for starters? Furthermore, had bama lost to Ok state yesterday they'd be gone and no team left in the tourney would have as much familiarity with Barnhill. Winning the first game in this tourney is crucial, particularly for a team that had to scrap to get there on Kelly's shoulders.
We would have been playing Oklahoma. I’m sure that would have gone well, too. :rolleyes3:

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
So I haven't watched a lot of softball this season but did we recruit only one pitcher and we'd play her until her arm falls off? Every game I watched Barhill was the only starter and that was the last week.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So I haven't watched a lot of softball this season but did we recruit only one pitcher and we'd play her until her arm falls off? Every game I watched Barhill was the only starter and that was the last week.
No, we have 5 pitchers on the roster but Barnhill is the only reliable one. Lugo, who should have been the backup has not lived up to expectations, Hightower shows promise but is only a freshman, Chronister belongs on a team like FAU, and Farley another freshman has basically been invisible, she’s pitched a few innings and has not fared well.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

This^. Nice to see somebody who gets it. Looking at the posts in this thread you can see just a few people do.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

A batted ball tourney is even more difficult to win when players & coaches don’t play/coach up to their potential. Had we played better and coached better the past several years we probably would have at least one, if not more, nattys. We got beat game one (in large part) because we just had to pitch to OK State’s best hitter rather than pitching around her. Stupid, stubborn decision. Hitting sucked, too. Game 2 we got BLOWN OUT, down 15-0 at one point. We looked like the Bad News Bears. Bottom line is we shouldn’t even have been playing Bama yesterday because we gave the first game away. You & all the others that fail to acknowledge that we greatly underperformed the past few games and continue to defend the performance of the players & coaches are blind to the reality of what happened.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
A batted ball tourney is even more difficult to win when players & coaches don’t play/coach up to their potential. Had we played better and coached better the past several years we probably would have at least one, if not more, nattys. We got beat game one (in large part) because we just had to pitch to OK State’s best hitter rather than pitching around her. Stupid, stubborn decision. Hitting sucked, too. Game 2 we got BLOWN OUT, down 15-0 at one point. We looked like the Bad News Bears. Bottom line is we shouldn’t even have been playing Bama yesterday because we gave the first game away. You & all the others that fail to acknowledge that we greatly underperformed the past few games and continue to defend the performance of the players & coaches are blind to the reality of what happened.
You mean to tell me it's hard to win when you don't play well?? :shocked:

Perhaps it's also possible that we had one of the weakest teams in Oklahoma City? I already said this once, but we wouldn't have beaten Oklahoma, either. The only win we would have had was Oklahoma State.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
You mean to tell me it's hard to win when you don't play well?? :shocked:

Perhaps it's also possible that we had one of the weakest teams in Oklahoma City? I already said this once, but we wouldn't have beaten Oklahoma, either. The only win we would have had was Oklahoma State.

You won’t address the points I brought up because you know I’m correct. I’ll try one more time. You think it was a good move to pitch to Okie State’s best hitter late in the game with the scores tied? when she has a history of success against Barnhill? You think last night’s performance against Alabama can be defended to any degree?
:shocked:

Last edited:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You won’t address the points I brought up because you know I’m correct. I’ll try one more time. You think it was a good move to pitch to Okie State’s best hitter late in the game with the scores tied? when she has a history of success against Barnhill? You think last night’s performance against Alabama can be defended to any degree?
Our best pitcher who's been mowing everyone down the entire postseason? She can pitch to whoever she wants. I have zero problem with that.

They laid an egg last night, but that was the same team they just beat for the SEC title a few weeks ago. Bad games happen. Sometimes you get a chance to move on, sometimes you don't. It doesn't invalidate their season or make their accomplishments any less impressive.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Our best pitcher who's been mowing everyone down the entire postseason? She can pitch to whoever she wants. I have zero problem with that.

They laid an egg last night, but that was the same team they just beat for the SEC title a few weeks ago. Bad games happen. Sometimes you get a chance to move on, sometimes you don't. It doesn't invalidate their season or make their accomplishments any less impressive.

She didn’t mow that very hitter down a few innings earlier...she got taken deep by her! And was taken deep by her last year in the postseason. Thanks for proving my point about you being blind to the reality of our performance in the CWWS.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
I thought they put up a graphic before her first at bat that said Show was 0-7 with 6 K's against Barnhill in her career. If that's not right, I'm wrong and I still didn't have a problem with them pitching to her the way Barnhill had been dominating the game.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
She didn’t mow that very hitter down a few innings earlier...she got taken deep by her! And was taken deep by her last year in the postseason. Thanks for proving my point about you being blind to the reality of our performance in the CWWS.
She got her out the next time she came up.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I thought they put up a graphic before her first at bat that said Show was 0-7 with 6 K's against Barnhill in her career. If that's not right, I'm wrong and I still didn't have a problem with them pitching to her the way Barnhill had been dominating the game.

You’re wrong about Show’s stats against Barnhill.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
We would have been playing Oklahoma. I’m sure that would have gone well, too. :rolleyes3:
I'm not sure what you point is...as usual. I doubt seriously that Oklahoma would have put any worse an ass whipping than Bama did and we would have been playing OK with a win and a ton more positive energy. If had we lost we'd still by in the tourney. Not sure if you've ever been around womens sport much but that sort of **** really affects their play much more than it does with mens sports.

Just for the record I think Walton is a great coach but even the great ones can be stubborn and stuck in a philosophy that might bite them in the ass at some point. Don't believe it..............just ask SOS!

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure what you point is...as usual. I doubt seriously that Oklahoma would have put any worse an ass whipping than Bama did and we would have been playing OK with a win and a ton more positive energy. If had we lost we'd still by in the tourney. Not sure if you've ever been around womens sport much but that sort of **** really affects their play much more than it does with mens sports.

Just for the record I think Walton is a great coach but even the great ones can be stubborn and stuck in a philosophy that might bite them in the ass at some point. Don't believe it..............just ask SOS!
:lol2::lol2::lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.