Word of Caution

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
divits;n83698 said:
I, for one, don't think we have as much talent on this team as others do. There are too many simple things I see not being done that even poor coaching can't screw up. Our offensive line does not block well and hasn't for a while. When you see tackles losing so many one on one match ups with DEs, that's talent. When you see so many dropped passes, that's talent. When you see so many missed tackles, that's talent. When you see so many poor passes, that's talent.

Now, WHY we lack talent falls on the coach. Lack of a winning attitude falls on the coach. Predictable and mundane play calling and game planning falls on the coach.

Go back and look at guys like Weston, Fain, Duncan, Paulk, Matthews, Will White, etc. None of those guys would've garnered much attention in 1989 other than for screw-ups and blown assignments. We were undisciplined and had no idea how to win games(aside from lsu '89). Yet suddenly, in '90 we're beasts. We'll be fine.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Law98gator;n83721 said:
We have alot of 2 star and 3 star filler on this team. We could lose them and not lose anything. They will never be on the field regardless, and our numbers are currently (still) terrible. We need a couple of large 30+ recruit classes immediately.

We are currently set up for a disaster anyway with lack of recruiting priorities shown by soon-to-be-fired staff. Just getting "our third" of the top players in Florida and getting some blue chips from elsewhere will have us back on the right path.

It's absurd that we only got 1 of the top 20 players in the state last year. There is no excuse, even the "I'm looking for blue collar guys" BS. You guys can spin all you want about how great the recruiting has been but when you recruiting against Vandy, Louisville and the like instead of the top teams, it's obvious you are no longer getting elite talent.

Honestly, what's absurd is the people who ate this nonsense up, with complete disregard for reality.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed with all. I might would say Maybe and I mean Maybe keeping some of the staff to help that process. But honestly maybe a whole washing of the staff may be what we need.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I said I would not change my avatar back until we were worthy as a team. Well, hell. I can't blame it on a fan of the mud dogs but we sure have a coach that coaches just like Coach Cline prior to Bobby Bouchet. So in his honor. I am stuck with this for now.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
chferg;n83683 said:
Can you blame them though? I honestly won't be surprised if we have a ton of transfers at the end of this year also...kind of why i think its gonna be a longer rebuiliding process

I'm not sure about this. Our top guys, starters and seconds won't be going anywhere until they've at least gone through spring with the new coach and or coaches. Especially if they are going into their sophomore or junior years next year. Now there might be some guys who realize they aren't going to play here because of ability or size that transfer to smaller schools and there may be a disciplinary case or 2 but that is normal CFB stuff. Our 1's and 2's who aren't graduating won't be going anywhere.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
There's enough talent on this team to win the East. Coaching is our shortfall and it's getting worse instead of better.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n83698 said:
I, for one, don't think we have as much talent on this team as others do. There are too many simple things I see not being done that even poor coaching can't screw up. Our offensive line does not block well and hasn't for a while. When you see tackles losing so many one on one match ups with DEs, that's talent. When you see so many dropped passes, that's talent. When you see so many missed tackles, that's talent. When you see so many poor passes, that's talent.

Now, WHY we lack talent falls on the coach. Lack of a winning attitude falls on the coach. Predictable and mundane play calling and game planning falls on the coach.

Agree. All it takes is five minutes of watching FSU, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, Bama, etc to see that we don't have elite talent, especially on offense. The level of playmaking ability and elite skill-level players simply isn't there. Watching other teams, I find myself repeating' "why don't we have guys making plays like THAT?" It's just not there.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Law98gator;n83721 said:
We have alot of 2 star and 3 star filler on this team. We could lose them and not lose anything. They will never be on the field regardless, and our numbers are currently (still) terrible. We need a couple of large 30+ recruit classes immediately.

We are currently set up for a disaster anyway with lack of recruiting priorities shown by soon-to-be-fired staff. Just getting "our third" of the top players in Florida and getting some blue chips from elsewhere will have us back on the right path.

It's absurd that we only got 1 of the top 20 players in the state last year. There is no excuse, even the "I'm looking for blue collar guys" BS. You guys can spin all you want about how great the recruiting has been but when you recruiting against Vandy, Louisville and the like instead of the top teams, it's obvious you are no longer getting elite talent.

Don't agree Law. We are on paper the 2nd most talented team in CFB according to combined recruiting rankings over the last few years. We have been a victim of a dumbass HC who is either to lazy or doesn't know how to hire a competent coaching staff....Take the TE's coach for example, Lewis, please tell me what business this guy has collecting a paycheck for what we have seen at that position ??? Same thing with our LB's, and WR's. We do lack some talent at those positions but nobody ever seems to get any better. That's coaching.
Now let's throw in a huge margin of error for those recruiting rankings, say 20%, if that were so we would still have better talent than over 100 other CFB teams. Which in theory would make us a top 20 team, yet we are nowhere near there.
Here is my thoughts. If we hire even an average coach, sh!t can the dead weight assistants, keep maybe Summers, Lawing and maybe Robinson, replace the rest with the new coaches staff of at least half assed assistants this team would probably win 9 or 10 games next year and be a top 20 team IMO. There is some serious talent on this roster and as you said a lot of filler as there would be on any CFB roster........our problem is the Chimp in charge doesn't know the difference.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I agree . There's talent on this roster hell if Franklin can instantly make vandy better I'm sure there's someone outthere who could win here

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
My thing is this. There is too much talent on this team to be 6-6. That means it's all with the coaching.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n83806 said:
I agree . There's talent on this roster hell if Franklin can instantly make vandy better I'm sure there's someone outthere who could win here

Franklin is still my #1 candidate. Offensive-minded, young, previous HC experience, experience in the SEC.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I wish we were still able to get any coach we wanted. I see a problem landing a top name right now.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
MJMGator;83787 said:
There's enough talent on this team to win the East. Coaching is our shortfall and it's getting worse instead of better.
This is all there is to it IMO.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
1) a good coaching staff can win immediately with this group. Especially in the SECeast.
2) if the right coach is named soon enough we land a top 3-5 class.
3) doubt we see many transfers though I hope we do. I doubt there is much loyalty left for Muschamp.
4) I have patience but I think we turn it around quick.

THE IMPORTANT THING IS SOON THE HEALING CAN BEGIN!!!!!

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n83834 said:
Franklin is still my #1 candidate. Offensive-minded, young, previous HC experience, experience in the SEC.
And he does seem sleezy enough to leave after one year

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
threatmatrix;n83857 said:
1) a good coaching staff can win immediately with this group. Especially in the SECeast.
2) if the right coach is named soon enough we land a top 3-5 class.
3) doubt we see many transfers though I hope we do. I doubt there is much loyalty left for Muschamp.
4) I have patience but I think we turn it around quick.

THE IMPORTANT THING IS SOON THE HEALING CAN BEGIN!!!!!

I agree with everything but number 2. We are pretty far down in the rankings to get that high. However there is enough talent there to win 9 or 10 games next year along with the SEC east. This can be a quick turnaround IMO. But the process needs to begin NOW !!!!!!!

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
t-gator;83858 said:
The Original DC;n83834 said:
And he does seem sleezy enough to leave after one year
These days, sleezy wins bro. Just the way it is

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.