Work 'Em Silly, Gators!

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Remember that sign as way back as the late 70's. Had a brother at UF and he took me to all the games and that's my recollection of it. Not to mention all the signs in the stadium. It's a permanent fixture, put it in somehow.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Of all the time honored traditions UAA has trashed over the years, to adopt this stupid ass sheet saying is dumb as F. It doesn't even make sense. Possibly the dumbest football stadium sign of all time.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
TN G8tr;n263711 said:
Remember that sign as way back as the late 70's. Had a brother at UF and he took me to all the games and that's my recollection of it. Not to mention all the signs in the stadium. It's a permanent fixture, put it in somehow.

Article says he started in '93 but as a season ticket holder starting in '79 it sure seems to me like it was there earlier.
Is the question to paint it permanent like to resemble a spray painted sheet? Or to paint it permanent in the same font/color as "This is Gator Country". Cuz a permanent spray painted sheet would look DAF - whatever that means.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure if the questions surrounding the meaning of DAF are serious?

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n263752 said:
Not sure if the questions surrounding the meaning of DAF are serious?
I'm not sure if your question is serious. :dunno:

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I thought it was silly at first. But it has grown on me. If you just said to a fellow Gator in far away place, "Work'em", they'd know exactly what you are talking about. It's like a big inside joke. It's much better when the Gators are actually Workin'em Silly on the field.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Law98gator;n263670 said:
To be fair, I believe the comma after silly was missing through the 90s.

il_340x270.458580502_p80y.jpg

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
threatmatrix;n263714 said:
Article says he started in '93 but as a season ticket holder starting in '79 it sure seems to me like it was there earlier.
Is the question to paint it permanent like to resemble a spray painted sheet? Or to paint it permanent in the same font/color as "This is Gator Country". Cuz a permanent spray painted sheet would look DAF - whatever that means.
Matrix, it was. That sign always stood out.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
threatmatrix;263714 said:
Is the question to paint it permanent like to resemble a spray painted sheet? Or to paint it permanent in the same font/color as "This is Gator Country".

Paint it to look just like it appears now, not to match the other lettering. That will keep it looking the same. I didn't know it was a sheet until I read the article.

When I read that article, I too thought that it has been around longer than since '93.

Whether you think it's cheezy or not, it's part of the stadium. It has been, and probably will be, for a long time.

Also, I think I remember from a while back, that is the only sign allowed in The Swamp. All others will be confiscated.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I like it. It always meant to kick their F'in Arse until they can't take it anymore... of course, it helps to actually be playing like that. It has lost some luster this past decade.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
threatmatrix;n263714 said:
but as a season ticket holder starting in '79 it sure seems to me like it was there earlier

Just watched the highlights of the fsu beat down in the Swamp in '83 - they showed the northeast corner several times - sign wasn't there.
Saw a good closeup of the same wall in the '85 UF / tinerce highlights - No signs on the northeast wall during that game:

NE_corner.jpg

The sign just might be a '93 thing even though it seems older.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
This used to be a "tradition", as well. Should we bring this back permanently?
Albert-Leather-Version.jpg

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
MJMGator;n263803 said:
Should we bring this back permanently

If by permanently you mean this Gator fashion wear- Then HELL YEAH!

Outfit.png

As Ron Swanson would say - "Any shorts longer than six inches are considered Capri pants - any shorter? European."

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Back in '82 I made a sign that said "where's the beef, Gators." Hung it up at every game but then I guess nobody liked the phrase so I stopped taking it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.