Worst Internet Service Ever

pilot-in-fla

Deplorable
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2015
Starband. This was a satellite service I had it for a few years beginning in the middle of 2002 before I got the terrible CenturyLink dsl.

Starband came with a modem but no router and required software on your pc to actually work. So, I had to get a second network card and have one pc work as a router in order to share the crappy connection. The speed was 256kbs download and about 1/4 of that upload with typical satellite lag times. Price was $69 per month and modem required replacement after a couple of years.

After a few years, Starband finally sold out their capacity and instead of expanding service (and spending money), they imposed a bandwidth cap of 250mb/month. If you exceeded that, they throttled you to 1/2 dialup modem speed for the rest of the month. There was no accurate way to track your usage so, all of a sudden, your service would just slow to less than a crawl. One time I called customer service to complain, they told me I must have been watching too many youtube videos which was ridiculous since, even at its best, you couldn't watch a video with their service.

I finally decided to drop them in favor of a dial up which would cost less and at least be consistent. Fortunately, I was finally able to get DSL service so I didn't have to go back to dial up.

They're out of business now -- no surprize.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Starband. This was a satellite service I had it for a few years beginning in the middle of 2002 before I got the terrible CenturyLink dsl.

Starband came with a modem but no router and required software on your pc to actually work. So, I had to get a second network card and have one pc work as a router in order to share the crappy connection. The speed was 256kbs download and about 1/4 of that upload with typical satellite lag times. Price was $69 per month and modem required replacement after a couple of years.

After a few years, Starband finally sold out their capacity and instead of expanding service (and spending money), they imposed a bandwidth cap of 250mb/month. If you exceeded that, they throttled you to 1/2 dialup modem speed for the rest of the month. There was no accurate way to track your usage so, all of a sudden, your service would just slow to less than a crawl. One time I called customer service to complain, they told me I must have been watching too many youtube videos which was ridiculous since, even at its best, you couldn't watch a video with their service.

I finally decided to drop them in favor of a dial up which would cost less and at least be consistent. Fortunately, I was finally able to get DSL service so I didn't have to go back to dial up.

They're out of business now -- no surprize.

exactly how far in the woods do you live?

pilot-in-fla

Deplorable
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2015
exactly how far in the woods do you live?

Not that far -- I was finally able to get DSL. There is Comcast cable in the area but they're too cheap to put Internet in. Comcast bought the cable plant from Adelphia so it wouldn't surprise me if was total crap and have to be rebuilt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.