Worst oline ever?

theoriginalmadgator

Aug 16, 2019
No, nothing to do with scheme, or not as much to do with scheme. We finally found the best QB on the team once Franks was hurt. Sorry, I like Dan but, not impressed with many of his coaches. Why did it take 2 years to figure out that Trask is the best QB on the team?

He didn't, last year Trask replaced Franks but immediately got hurt. From there Franks finished strong and won out. Tough to bench a guy who won like 6 games in a row with a bowl game, was named the captain of the team by the players.....tough to validate with your team

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
LOL. Whorechant apparently thinks we have a good oline.
Clemson post game vent thread | Warchant.com
"How is it that Mullins can start a QB who was not ever a starter in high school and move the ball on SEC teams?"
"Mullins has an offensive line and a very very good defensive line"
"Mullins is a second year coach who took over a bad Florida team and has them ranked and playing hard even with a back up QB. There are more issues at fsu then just a bad line!"
"it wasn't more than three or four years ago they had a horrible OL. It wasn't all that great lat year. Mullen proved himself at Miss St. I had a feeling that he would turn that program in the right direction faster than WT would (if he can)."
"I’m watching the LSU Florida game and both QBs jersey are clean"
"Here us what concerns me, regarding us vs. what Mullen has done. Two seasons ago, we dominated them at the end of the season, so much so that it didnt look like they had more than a couple of guys who could make our two-deep depth chart. Last year (and this year so far) it is 100 percent opposite. We dont appear to have more than a couple of guys who would see the field for them. Yhat is very concerning. Mullen is getting the most out of what hr has."
"Agree, Mullen has done so much more after taking over a unimpressive (at the time) UF team. He coaches them up and our guys don't get that with WT."

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
LOL. Whorechant apparently thinks we have a good oline.
Clemson post game vent thread | Warchant.com
"How is it that Mullins can start a QB who was not ever a starter in high school and move the ball on SEC teams?"
"Mullins has an offensive line and a very very good defensive line"
"Mullins is a second year coach who took over a bad Florida team and has them ranked and playing hard even with a back up QB. There are more issues at fsu then just a bad line!"
"it wasn't more than three or four years ago they had a horrible OL. It wasn't all that great lat year. Mullen proved himself at Miss St. I had a feeling that he would turn that program in the right direction faster than WT would (if he can)."
"I’m watching the LSU Florida game and both QBs jersey are clean"
"Here us what concerns me, regarding us vs. what Mullen has done. Two seasons ago, we dominated them at the end of the season, so much so that it didnt look like they had more than a couple of guys who could make our two-deep depth chart. Last year (and this year so far) it is 100 percent opposite. We dont appear to have more than a couple of guys who would see the field for them. Yhat is very concerning. Mullen is getting the most out of what hr has."
"Agree, Mullen has done so much more after taking over a unimpressive (at the time) UF team. He coaches them up and our guys don't get that with WT."
Just nice to be in their heads so bad.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
He didn't, last year Trask replaced Franks but immediately got hurt. From there Franks finished strong and won out. Tough to bench a guy who won like 6 games in a row with a bowl game, was named the captain of the team by the players.....tough to validate with your team
Can't disagree more. This is exactly why you have a head coach. To make the tough decisions that many won't agree with but that are what's best for the team. Its clear as day Trask is worlds better than Franks. Yet Dan left him on the bench. Mind boggling.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Can't disagree more. This is exactly why you have a head coach. To make the tough decisions that many won't agree with but that are what's best for the team. Its clear as day Trask is worlds better than Franks. Yet Dan left him on the bench. Mind boggling.

He was part of not starting Alex Smith and Prescott over the former starters untill injuries took them out of a game. A little hard headed probably. No way Franks moves the ball with no running game like Trask has. Also on our win streak with Franks we upped our running play ratio.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Do we have a bad O-Line? Yes. Is it the worst ever? No. We're not pulling tuba players out of the stands, or blocking into eachother for endless gif lols. We've been worse, and that's only comparing to UF O-Lines...not other schools.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ok, I forgot about Trask getting hurt. You're correct. It took at least 6 games to figure it out...

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018

Agree. There is a saying in the military that the troops should not pick the commander.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Agree. There is a saying in the military that the troops should not pick the commander.
Bush, since most here aren't even slightly football literate, and won't take it from me, would you take some time and give us your explanation our basic run game scheme and how it differs from traditional schemes? What you think are more or less difficult etc. In particular what you attribute our backs getting hit in the backfield every play and why the running backs or even Trask sometimes "dance" (Herbstreit called them timing moves).

Last edited:

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Bush, since some here aren't even slightly football literate, and won't take it from me, would you take some time and give us your explanation our basic run game scheme and how it differs from "normal" schemes. What thinks are more or less difficult etc. In particular what you attribute our backs getting hit in the backfield every play and why the running backs or even Trask sometimes "dance" (Herbstreit called them timing moves).
In fairness, you’re so full of bs most of the time it’s hard to figure out when you’re spouting off and when to take you seriously. Bush at least has legit credentials.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree on the defense. It sucked in both scheme and talent It wasn’t the purpose of the thread though. There are plenty of others that have hashed that out. If anyone wants to share who on this oline is even serviceable, I’d love to read it.

I wish I had a serviceable answer for you but....

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Bush, since most here aren't even slightly football literate, and won't take it from me, would you take some time and give us your explanation our basic run game scheme and how it differs from traditional schemes? What you think are more or less difficult etc. In particular what you attribute our backs getting hit in the backfield every play and why the running backs or even Trask sometimes "dance" (Herbstreit called them timing moves).

I could write pages on this, but it basically comes down to a few things.

1. The opposing D does not respect our QBs ability to run. This is why we see EJ so much. Didn't see him nearly as often when FF was in there. I think Trask is a serviceable runner before his knee injury. Opposing Ds want Trask to try to beat us with his legs and will give it to him. So on inside and outside zone runs, the backside DEs are crashing hard and ignoring the QB. They don't do that when EJ is in.

2. Our TEs can't block for ****. Even have seen Heggie just throw a shoulder at a guy and the guy bounces off and makes the tackle.

3. Our OL comes off the double team way too quick to get to the LBs.

4. SOME of our blocking schemes just flat out suck, or conversely, our lines are not blocking up correctly.

Last year I had the same problem with #3. Finally told them to just stay on the double team and keep driving. Wound up driving the DTs into the LBs on a lot of plays giving the RBs a crease. Its hard to make a tackle with two OL driving a fat ass DT sitting into your lap. THEN, we could work on the combo blocks.

Our RBs are getting hit in the backfield because DLs are getting penetration. I have seen wing blocking instead of fitting up on the chest plate. I teach a technique used in ju jitsu with gi that is completely different than what OL coaches teach. They want to "press outward" once they fit up the DL. This is wrong. This gives the DL space and a chance to break contact with your hands. I instead teach them to bring the DL into their body with their facemask planted into the chest plate and tucking your elbows to your sides. Its technically holding but you can't see it, so its never called. Showed this to a retired NFL OL I coached with because he didn't believe it could work. Locked it onto a kid who is playing DT at Benedict College the last 2 years and walked him 50 yards down the field while I was wearing dress shoes. 2 former ECU players were on the staff and neither had seen anything like it. OL v. DL is nothing more than 2 ju jitsu practitioners trying to get position on the other. When trying to control your opponent, giving them space usually results in you losing the position.

But I am not a high paid coach at the D1 level so my opinion is not considered with any weight. I am a combat ju jitsu practitioner with a brown belt in Japanese Ju Jitsu and can tell you what works in close combat and what will get your ass kicked.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Scrolled through 3 pages looking for the latest OL thread and this is what I got. Maybe I missed one ... but don't know that I did. So posting this here. There is a lot of praise given to Hevesy even though his OL doesn't seem to be improving. Other areas under the tutelage of other coaches don't get this slack around here and is a bit of a head scratcher to me at times. The OL improvement is the biggest multiplier of the success of this team going forward. We are past the 'gel' due date, imo. Is it a 'stars matter' issue and we got what we got ... or ... is it a coaching/technique/strategic issue? I don't know but I think it is the issue this season.

With that said ... mostly what I get out of the following link is the need to know why Bliech is having a blister issue? Poor journalism for not questioning that and if our coaches are not on top of that then even I can say they suck.

As UF O-line improves, Hevesy harping back on fundamentals

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Scrolled through 3 pages looking for the latest OL thread and this is what I got. Maybe I missed one ... but don't know that I did. So posting this here. There is a lot of praise given to Hevesy even though his OL doesn't seem to be improving. Other areas under the tutelage of other coaches don't get this slack around here and is a bit of a head scratcher to me at times. The OL improvement is the biggest multiplier of the success of this team going forward. We are past the 'gel' due date, imo. Is it a 'stars matter' issue and we got what we got ... or ... is it a coaching/technique/strategic issue? I don't know but I think it is the issue this season.

With that said ... mostly what I get out of the following link is the need to know why Bliech is having a blister issue? Poor journalism for not questioning that and if our coaches are not on top of that then even I can say they suck.

As UF O-line improves, Hevesy harping back on fundamentals

Also, it talks about the OL improving - but the last game Gouraige started (due to Bliech's blisters) and Bliech didn't play a single snap....but he's starting vs. UGA (or he's listed as the starter). I'll be watching who plays the first snaps. It's good to have him back though, as we only played 5 OL's vs. SC (which tells me how pathetic the backup OL situation is).

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Scrolled through 3 pages looking for the latest OL thread and this is what I got. Maybe I missed one ... but don't know that I did.

You get a like for the effort, and not littering us with a new thread. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.