Wrongful death suit filed against 911

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AugustaGator, Aug 13, 2019.

1. AugustaGator

AugustaGator Junior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $4,340
    Ratings:
    +6,668 / -192
    • g8tr72

g8tr72 Well-Known Member
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $4,983
      Ratings:
      +7,860 / -84
      I see your point, but from reading the article it does appear that the officers failed to properly vet the call using the information provided. I hate to be critical of them, because this could have very easily been a prank call and we don't know what other things were happening at that same moment (calls holding,) but they arrived at the scene and failed to at least locate the vehicle using the description he gave them.

• AugustaGator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $4,340
      Ratings:
      +6,668 / -192
      So we have a right to a 911 call?

I grew up out in the country so I do not have high expectations of 911.

• g8tr72

g8tr72 Well-Known Member
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $4,983
        Ratings:
        +7,860 / -84

Sincerely, I don't see your point.

They aren't suing because they were denied the right to make the call, from what I understand they are suing because the cops failed to do their jobs with the information provided and their son died because of their inaction.

• AugustaGator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $4,340
        Ratings:
        +6,668 / -192
        Sorry, very sloppy writing. We have a right to a successful 911 response?

They are upset their son died. I feel their pain. The police made a judgement call. Their son made a judgement call. I do not see any evidence the police were at the donut shop. Hell even if they were...

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Come get Papa Bear!!!!
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $37,614
          Ratings:
          +62,171 / -2,559
          The kid, a smaller 16ish year old called 911 saying he was stuck in the van. The folding seat had collapsed on him, as I guess it didnt lock into place and he was wedged. He actually called several times saying he was dying.

Cop showed up, drove around the lot once and left.

Family eventually found kid dead stuck in the back seat.

He would have been better off calling AAA or his parents, but I guess he didnt call anyone but 911.

• TLB

TLB Just chillin'
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $4,356
          Ratings:
          +6,898 / -94
          I don't understand how the kid got himself in that situation in the first place. Still, he did all he could to stay alive and get help, the cops simply didn't do their job. Yes, they showed up, but if they had the location and description of the van it shouldn't have been too hard to go up and knock on it to verify the kid was trapped in there. I see this as a failure of the 911 response system - either the operator didn't collect all the info, or didn't convey it all effectively to the cops who arrived, or the cops simply didn't execute their search effectively. I'm sure they feel awful, but they do have a hand in the kid's death by NOT doing what they are expected to do. There is some responsibility in how the kid got there in the first place, but 911 failed this family.

Article says he used the voice activated Siri, may have only been able to use the 911 emergency function, I dunno.

• g8tr72

g8tr72 Well-Known Member
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $4,983
          Ratings:
          +7,860 / -84
          Siri can call anyone in his Contacts and dial a number when dictated.

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Come get Papa Bear!!!!
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $37,614
          Ratings:
          +62,171 / -2,559
          Apparently he was leaning over the top of the seat trying to get something, the seat wasnt locked in place and it flipped, pinning him upside down in the rear hatch, with the seat smothering him. He was a small kid and those seats are pretty heavy.

• TLB

TLB Just chillin'
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $4,356
          Ratings:
          +6,898 / -94
          Even if the phone is locked? From the article, it sounds like he couldn't reach the phone to dial and was reliant on Siri.

When locked, I know there is the ability to emergency finger dial 911, but I don't know if you can unlock it by Siri voice command and access your contacts OR if you can use Siri voice commands when it is locked in order to dial the 911 emergency function (doubt it).

• TLB

TLB Just chillin'
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $4,356
          Ratings:
          +6,898 / -94
          Not saying it isn't possible, just odd. Also odd why nobody was there and he's doing gymnastics inside the van. Again, possible (obviously), just odd.

Reminds me of our reclining couches. The wife stood on the couch to reach the blinds, it slid open and pinned her one leg against the window and she couldn't get out. I was away at the time, she started crying and sent the kids to get a neighbor to help get her out. We still joke about mom getting eaten by the couch.

• g8tr72

g8tr72 Well-Known Member
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $4,983
            Ratings:
            +7,860 / -84
            Not quite sure how this is all relevant, but to answer your questions - yes, SIRI through voice recognition of the user can dial any number or call any contact. Simply, if he could ask SIRI to call 911 he could have asked SIRI to call anyone.

• TLB

TLB Just chillin'
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $4,356
            Ratings:
            +6,898 / -94
            I'm assuming the screen was locked, and I'm not familiar with how accessible Siri and contacts are in that state. Your response is not addressing my question specifically (accessing contacts in lockscreen), so I looked it up. When a iphone IS LOCKED, one CAN use siri voice commands to dial from the contacts. You have to enable siri during lockscreen, which he seems to have done, so your statement is correct and I'll drop it.

• rogdochar

rogdochar Senior Member
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $7,851
              Ratings:
              +14,156 / -191
              The posted story,of "bare-bones truth" has been crafted by a lawyer to glow as "no-doubt negligence" Persuading judgement his way brings him lots of money.

I remember reading a reporter's cut and dry account of what he learned about the sequence of what happened. =
              The slender kid, having a tennis match after school, got permission to leave last period to go to his car to get his tennis rackets, lying flat in the back "well" of his SUV. While he stretched flat over the top-edge of that last seat, it collapsed back & downward, strongly pinning him head-down, difficult to breathe. Picture that : a thin flat body draped immobile over a dropped back & downward seat, giving the visual height & level of an empty car.

His car was parked backed-in, on the edge of the lot, which was slopped a bit downward for drain-off. More difficult to spot something amiss.. So there was his sloped car, then patch of landscape, then school pickup driveway, then face of school building from where he came. More difficult to spot something amiss. His cellphone was somewhere in the car, he could not reach it. So he used voice command to dial 911. He delivered his message from a distance, while having the breath and life squeezed out of him. Still 911 manage to get that message. But I don't think he was able to voice a clear definite location other than school parking lot - his chest was being crushed.

When the cops got out there, they slowly toured the lot saw nothing untoward. (Remember getting to the area of a 911 emergency, these guys usually have a commotion to hone in on -- nothing (like he was dead, already? ) No motion, no noise. Seeing, hearing nothing, the cops then thought of a teen prank call.?? Now if the cops were doing a CYA report, they surely would have spoken about getting out, walking around, but they honestly thought no response-need was there.???

Lots of horrid odd occurrences.
              1) no teacher or classmate checked when he didn't return to class?
              2) no tennis teammate searched when he did not show court-side. You know they saw him during school.
              3) that model car had other customers complain about seat-fall. (there's a stronger suit, unless they ignored recall notifications?)
              4) cops could not see or hear anything odd.
              5) if the 911 dispatcher had called the school, a dozen+ alert classmates would have rushed to rescue..The school was the closest source of rescue. Do we depend too blindly on government services?

#14 rogdochar, Aug 13, 2019
              Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
            • AugustaGator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $4,340
              Ratings:
              +6,668 / -192
              Exactly. I’d called my friends or parents.

• rogdochar

rogdochar Senior Member
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $7,851
              Ratings:
              +14,156 / -191
              As far as his ability to call another, he may have used his dying breath on just one call. His 911 may have taken a Herculean effort. Remember, he's of small stature and being crushed, apparently by an unusual force. The physicality of this is so bizarre, we'd have to eye-witness it and actually feel our force needed to dislodge the seat.

• GatorAlways

GatorAlways Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
              $334
              Ratings:
              +537 / -270
              So you would have called someone that may or may not be available to answer the phone (or might not answer a call at all), and who may not be in a position to render assistance vs. calling someone that is (almost) always available to answer the phone to provide assistance in an emergency?

• AugustaGator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $4,340
              Ratings:
              +6,668 / -192
              My parents & myself will be able to render assistance. I count on friends and family before police. And I sure as hell am not going to demand they save my ass.

• AlexDaGator

AlexDaGator The Hammer of Thor
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $5,255
                Ratings:
                +12,003 / -29
                I think I saw this movie.

Was Matthew M the neighbor?

Alex.

• rogdochar

rogdochar Senior Member
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $7,851
                  Ratings:
                  +14,156 / -191
                  There's a rumor that there's a 6-inch hole in that Nudist Colony fence ..... Matthew M is looking into it.