XFL: Calloway got Luck fired?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Lots of Gators on the Tampa team:

Former Florida WR Antonio Callaway joins XFL team

Former Florida WR Antonio Callaway joins XFL team

Former Florida Gators wide receiver Antonio Callaway will be getting another chance in professional football, but not in the NFL.

On Thursday evening, the XFL’s Tampa Bay Vipers announced that they had claimed Callway off of waivers for the upcoming season, which is set to begin in February. This could represent a fresh start for Callaway after enduring off-field issues at the NFL level.

Callaway was with the Cleveland Browns as recently as the 2019 season, but he was waived from the team on Nov. 14 because he wasn’t showing up on time to meetings or practices. Even if the Browns hadn’t waived Callaway, he still was looking at a 10-game suspension for his use of a “tainted CBD product.”

The former Browns wideout missed the start of the 2019 season because he was serving a four-game suspension for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy. At the time, Callaway shouldered the blame for his actions and stated that he’d like to earn back the trust that he’d lost.

"I take full responsibility for my actions," Callaway said in a press release back in September. "I made a mistake and I own that. I have taken steps to make myself better and I appreciate the Browns standing by me and supporting me during this time. I know there's nothing I can say to regain trust; it will all be about my actions."

Callaway has struggled with off-field issues throughout his career, dating back to his time at Florida. While with the Gators, Callaway missed the entire 2017 season due to an identity and credit card fraud scandal. During the NFL Combine, Callaway produced a diluted drug test. That’s why, despite his incredible ability, Callaway fell to the fourth round of the 2018 NFL Draft.

Callaway was a four-star recruit and the No. 43 wide receiver in the 2015 signing class, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings. Callaway played two full seasons at Florida, and he caught 89 passes for 1,399 yards and seven touchdowns in his collegiate career. Callaway was also a fantastic weapon in the special teams game as he returned two kicks and one punt for a touchdown at the college level.

After getting several chances with the Browns, Callaway now has an opportunity to revitalize his career with the Vipers in the XFL. He’ll have former Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray throwing to him, and he’ll be playing alongside former Florida teammates Mack Brown, Martez Ivey, DeAndre Goolsby, and Cece Jefferson.

The Vipers kick off their inaugural season on Sunday, Feb. 9 at 2:00 p.m. ET with a game against the New York Guardians.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
“The Action Network’s Darren Rovell reported Friday that guaranteed pay on a standard contract will be $1,040 a week, which equates to $54,080 per year. He also said maximum weekly salaries will be $4,947, which totals $257,244.“

Can’t buy many drugs on this salary. He’ll be in jail soon enough.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I wish him well but won't hold my breath for him to " clean up" his act.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
“The Action Network’s Darren Rovell reported Friday that guaranteed pay on a standard contract will be $1,040 a week, which equates to $54,080 per year. He also said maximum weekly salaries will be $4,947, which totals $257,244.“

Can’t buy many drugs on this salary. He’ll be in jail soon enough.

I feel super old saying this, but I seriously doubt any generation has pissed away as much money strictly by being stupid as this current wave of 20-30year olds. It’s mind numbing to think of what he could’ve been, and the life changing career he could’ve had, and then see him making less than probably 80% of this board, knowing that even that is only until his next screwup.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I feel super old saying this, but I seriously doubt any generation has pissed away as much money strictly by being stupid as this current wave of 20-30year olds. It’s mind numbing to think of what he could’ve been, and the life changing career he could’ve had, and then see him making less than probably 80% of this board, knowing that even that is only until his next screwup.

Risking censure, I agree.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We'll see how it goes, but I'm betting it won't. Waste of talent.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
There's a team here in DC (the DC Defenders). I'm planning to go to at least one game (they only play 5 home games). They're playing in the new soccer stadium (20,000 seat stadium built for the MLS DC United at a cost of $500 million). I haven't been to the stadium yet, so I'm looking forward to it. Former Ohio State QB Cardel Jones is the QB for the DC team. Pep Hamilton is the head coach. Matt Elam is also on the DC team.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Does Matt Elam look a little bigger (heavier) than his UF days?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There's a team here in DC (the DC Defenders). I'm planning to go to at least one game (they only play 5 home games). They're playing in the new soccer stadium (20,000 seat stadium built for the MLS DC United at a cost of $500 million). I haven't been to the stadium yet, so I'm looking forward to it. Former Ohio State QB Cardel Jones is the QB for the DC team. Pep Hamilton is the head coach. Matt Elam is also on the DC team.

We are going to go to at least one of the Vipers games in Tampa. Why not the tickets are cheap, and the atmosphere will be different. How they are handling the point after attempts will be real interesting.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Colin Thompson - didn't he transfer to Temple?

I'm surprised Will Hill has kept himself in good enough shape to play football.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Matt Jones had a solid, but short, stint with the skins. Injury plagued I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb