You can only pick 3

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm going with bands I haven't seen or aren't on the schedule for the Mrs and I .

The Beattles - catalog
The Clash - I bet the energy of that show would be amazing
Mid 90s Oasis - There internal bickering made some good music for that couple of years

Nirvana is so overplayed, though I bet a show would be good.... I'm still kind of sick of hearing there schit.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
New Order
Joy Division
Tie between the Cure and The Smiths

Close, but Joy Division didn't quite do it for me. Which is odd as New Order was one of my favorite bands through that era and on to today.

I cant say I had even heard of Joy Division until an hour ago :lol:

Joy Division is New Order before the suicide of lead singer Ian Curtis.

For me, I'm close to CD but going to drop Joy Division. I'll go with:

Top 3:
Stone Roses
New Order
The Cure

On Deck:
James
Beatles (for a wider variety, and a bit of nostalgia)
RHCP
The Clash

Last edited:

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Anyone else make it to the first Lollapaloosa tour in 1991?
We went in Atlanta

Caught it in Florida at the time. Excellent show. Also was able to catch NIN before they caught fire, crowd of 100-150 in the UF Reitz Union. Stage was about 2' off the ground and 20' deep x 50' wide, and Trent was going nutz rocking that entire structure all over the place, swinging from posts and rafters. Crowd was right up against the stageworks, no security really just the band within touching distance. Best ever 'before they were big' shows I've seen.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Close, but Joy Division didn't quite do it for me. Which is odd as New Order was one of my favorite bands through that era and on to today.

Joy Division is New Order before the suicide of lead singer Ian Curtis.
It took time and a certain mood for Joy Division to click with me and it’s really only a handful of songs that I love… mighta been someone here (Douglas? Gulfstream?) that pointed me to this cover of Ceremony

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I cant say I had even heard of Joy Division until an hour ago :lol:
You’re clearly never here at night when I am (allegedly) drunk posting videos… plenty of Joy Division, New Order, and James, but people only seem to remember the scantily clad, oozing with sexuality, Eastern European chick videos… I have no idea why that is.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
As Bernie said it’s a bit of a strange list. I kept looking for Smashing Pumpkins, which would be my first choice. But among them, I’d go

Blink(despite what that apparently means for the sexual encounters of my evening)

Nirvana just because of the volume of great songs.

Foo Fighters just because of a few songs that I love.

Close calls would be The Killers, mainly just because of the way Brad describes their shows, the Beatles for the reason as Nirvana, and RHCP if I knew they’d not play anything post BSSM.

Last edited:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
@TLB
The way I always explain the Joy Division to New Order connection to people who are clearly music morons/retards is "It's kind of like Mother Love Bone is Pearl Jam before the overdose of lead singer Andrew Wood (but with the addition of Eddie)"... it's in that moment of "confusion face" that one realizes that someone who is a "grunge fan" really does not know early grunge. :lol:

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Another band I never understood the fascination with is Pink Floyd . Nothing about them is remarkable. Perhaps the most overrated group of musicians of all time .

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Another band I never understood the fascination with is Pink Floyd . Nothing about them is remarkable. Perhaps the most overrated group of musicians of all time .
I'll provide some cover for you here because it's what bros do... I agree... and same for...

Rush
(hate away Rush homos!!)

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@TLB
The way I always explain the Joy Division to New Order connection to people who are clearly music morons/retards is "It's kind of like Mother Love Bone is Pearl Jam before the overdose of lead singer Andrew Wood (but with the addition of Eddie)"... it's in that moment of "confusion face" that one realizes that someone who is a "grunge fan" really does not know early grunge. :lol:

The worst part of your comment, I read TLB post, and that is what immediately came to mind.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
For sure The Clash
Where is The English Beat/Specials and Madness....no love for the Mod Ska revival?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015

Then I take it you didnt face the teenage phase of self-doubt, wondering what the world was all about and how you fit in it, perhaps with a bit of dabbling in illicit self medication.

Like the Beatles, there is a strong following but it takes a certain mindset. For me, when evaluating music the utmost love goes to the 'sound' created with a close second priority going to lyrics. This is why I can't stand much pop, it's all just noisy crap with weak effort on lyrics. PF took the effort to create whole stories with an album, taking you on a mental and emotional journey at times - specifically with The Wall and Wish You Were Here. By Delicate Sound of Thunder, they started to succumbing to the industry standard of a bunch of songs thrown together = an album (as opposed to an overarcing story woven throughout the songs). Yet, they still retained that unique combination of sound and lyrics.

It may not touch some folks, but for those that get it, it's awesome.

Rush
(hate away Rush homos!!)

Rush is another 'acquired taste'. I'm not sure if hearing it over the Canadien border as a youngster is what set you against them or not - I can see how it pushes folks to choose a side. That said, they didn't weave a whole story, but each song has a lot of good 'sound' and fun lyrics (semi-deep, but not too deep). Energy, power, and fun = living life large. That's how I'd describe them. And yeah, top 10 band for me.

giphy.gif

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Then I take it you didnt face the teenage phase of self-doubt, wondering what the world was all about and how you fit in it, perhaps with a bit of dabbling in illicit self medication.

Like the Beatles, there is a strong following but it takes a certain mindset. For me, when evaluating music the utmost love goes to the 'sound' created with a close second priority going to lyrics. This is why I can't stand much pop, it's all just noisy crap with weak effort on lyrics. PF took the effort to create whole stories with an album, taking you on a mental and emotional journey at times - specifically with The Wall and Wish You Were Here. By Delicate Sound of Thunder, they started to succumbing to the industry standard of a bunch of songs thrown together = an album (as opposed to an overarcing story woven throughout the songs). Yet, they still retained that unique combination of sound and lyrics.

It may not touch some folks, but for those that get it, it's awesome.

Rush is another 'acquired taste'. I'm not sure if hearing it over the Canadien border as a youngster is what set you against them or not - I can see how it pushes folks to choose a side. That said, they didn't weave a whole story, but each song has a lot of good 'sound' and fun lyrics (semi-deep, but not too deep). Energy, power, and fun = living life large. That's how I'd describe them. And yeah, top 10 band for me.

giphy.gif
C'mon, man! I was born a dual citizen, my parents were Canadian until I was 7, I spent every summer in northern Ontario, Ottawa, and parts of Quebec, and I GREW UP IN DETROIT!!! :lol: The Spirit of Radio is a favorite "good mood" song... there are a few others I like, but the way some people go completely gaga over them is beyond me. In fairness to the people I'm thinking of, they are in fact musicians, so they get what I call "the jazz/cigar douchebag exemption." In case that isn't perfectly clear, unless you are capable of not just playing an instrument, but can play it well, then yes, you are a "Rush douchebag"!!! Triumph = good... Rush = "kinda ghey, but OK" :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.