Your first time on campus?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Not exact but mine was running the streets of Gville with my older friend. We would walk over to campus from 3rd place and 13th st. I was about 10. 1965. We would walk through the dorms hallways outside and chck the vending machines for change. Or even better look under them where the real cash was. That's a lie. We would head to the alligator cage under Century Tower and it was loaded with change. Take our bubble gum on a stick and reach in and get our snack money. First game was probably 65 with two dollars in my pocket that bought a ticket and a coke. With same friend. Maybe an LSU game.

Last edited:

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
August of 1968. Freshman orientation (my dad went with me). The only memorable part was him getting a speeding ticket in Quincy. The rest was a blur.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
1982 - UF vs USC

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Summer of '85. Fly down from Detroit a week before I started boot camp/OSUT and wanted to bang the wife to be one more time before nothing for 16 weeks (she started at UF Summer C of '85). Had a great time. I remember watching a drunk girl stumble around in the original Balls and thinking "Jesus Christ, THAT is not going to end well." Next time back was 17 weeks later. We eloped in Gainesville on the day the Gators beat VaTech at home. Then off to Germany for 4 years and back to UF from 89-93 to get our degrees.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Summer of '85. Fly down from Detroit a week before I started boot camp/OSUT and wanted to bang the wife to be one more time before nothing for 16 weeks (she started at UF Summer C of '85). Had a great time. I remember watching a drunk girl stumble around in the original Balls and thinking "Jesus Christ, THAT is not going to end well." Next time back was 17 weeks later. We eloped in Gainesville on the day the Gators beat VaTech at home. Then off to Germany for 4 years and back to UF from 89-93 to get our degrees.

Pretty sure you win this round. That’s a great story.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
1983, my freshman year of high school. Went with a buddy who had a brother going to school at UF so we could watch the game. Can't remember who we were playing, but Wayne Peace was the QB and it was raining. The ticket was maybe 5 bucks. Squeezed into the student section. Learned all the cheers. Saw my first "cup war." Helped pass scantily clad coeds hand over hand from the bottom of the stands to the top while changing "over the wall!" Walked along frat row afterwards and saw Wayne Peace, in the rain still, dancing on the roof of one of the houses while celebrating the win. Everybody was soaking wet, drunk, laughing, and hooking up. I knew I had found my home.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
May 2000 for campus tour, then back that summer for freshman orientation. Orientation was a blur. I had to work all day the day before, then drove overnight with a friend to arrive there around 6am. Slept walked through most of that Saturday, hardly remember a thing.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Born in Shands, Nov 1969. Grew up in town, didn’t know any different. Parents lived in married housing.

Earliest memory was around ‘75-76ish(?) grabbing tickets off the curb (couldn’t give them away), going in at the end of the game and collecting upwards of 20 game cups. Biking home with them was tricky. Still have some of those today.

Also recall 85-87 me and my HS soccer buddies would go to the handball-racquetball courts on Univ ave outside the stadium and kick for hours. I recall bringing 32oz glass bottles of green Gatorade for our breaks.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Somewhere about '69 or '70, on an elementary school field trip to the Museum of Natural History back when it was on Museum Road.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I just realized that the thread title could mean something other than what I thought.

Probably around 89-90, gf and I went to the little video booth atop the south end zone. We joked about midfield, but I needed a spot where I could see anyone coming from a distance. Late afternoon, sunny skies, bucket list of sorts.

Same gf and I later found our way to a 3rd or 4th story balcony of reitz union with a skinny view of half the quad. Late night, doors shoulda been locked, nobody around inside or out. Part way thru bidness, I see someone stop in a stairwell of a building halfway up the quad and it sets my mind going. We pause, dress, lounge against the railing, and in under 3 min someone else comes busting thru the door to the balcony like they were going to catch us in the act. Not. We left and finished bidness elsewhere.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Prolly 78.
One of the things that really struck me was that even off campus everyone was a kid like me. It was like if an entire city was a high school.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Somewhere about '69 or '70, on an elementary school field trip to the Museum of Natural History back when it was on Museum Road.
I remember them bldg it around 74ish. So it was probably still in the Segal Bldg on Univ Ave. I thought it was gonna be nuclear eng, or something cause they had all the dirt and grass up the walls..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.