God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Several things were clear to me about the OL:

The U was supposed to have a Top Notch DL…That’s promising

Gators seem to be in shape…Not many players went down

Few Procedure Penalties

The REFs were not calling holding.

Franks had pass protection...Though he would not release the ball except to fumble.

Run blocking worries me…A LOT

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Several things were clear to me about the OL:

The U was supposed to have a Top Notch DL…That’s promising

Gators seem to be in shape…Not many players went down

Few Procedure Penalties

The REFs were not calling holding.

Franks had pass protection...Though he would not release the ball except to fumble.

Run blocking worries me…A LOT

Miami spent most the game in our backfield there is a lot of work to do. Only one sack, but they dictated play on the line not the other way around.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
All things considered, about what I expected. Itaz mentioned in the game thread about how important good position coaches are, and I think Hevesy is one of the better ones we have and that was obvious Saturday. They showed their inexperience at times, but were given a tough task to start with, so I thought they did ok. Now it's about stayingh healthy, building on that and improving week to week.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
We have ONE returning starter on OL. They just played a front 7, half of whom will get drafted in first 3-4 rounds at worst, all of whom will like get drafted by someone. We have two weeks, a live scrimmage, then another week to develop, especially the right side. We’ll see where we are in three weeks.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’m with you. I’m a little worried about run blocking but I think the OL will gel after a couple games.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is off of only watching the telecast, but my impressions were that we were pretty much overwhelmed by the UM front in the run game, though I don't recall seeing as many whiffs as I saw our kids just get overpowered, out-athleted if you will. I got the feel that they knew their assignments, but just couldn't get a push. Pass Pro probably a little better, but not great by any means. An OL has to win their battles with strength, leverage, and good feet (balance and quickness) along with the desire to win that four second battle over and over and over again. We're still under construction, our seemingly recurring situation. One plus is that we didn't block our own players.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
This play was embarrassing. Not the TWO Gator OL both missing the block in the second level.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Surprised a little on the upside with the pass blocking considering Miami's DEs are really good at that.

On the downside a little with run blocking as Miami has above average but not real good Tackles against the run. Don't remember an O lineman putting a hat on a LB at the second level hardly which we did a lot last season.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
This play was embarrassing. Not the TWO Gator OL both missing the block in the second level.

I suspect this happens a lot particularly with inexperienced OLs. I would NOT say they exactly MISSED the block. Each thought the other was going to block that LB. That is an OL needing to gel more than anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.