Your Top 3 Realistic Picks to Replace Butters

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Yes I consider him successfully. Gundy is at the 2nd rate school in his state and at best the 3rd rate school in his conference. Which makes him a perfect target in a coach ready to make the final step up. He has won consistently and has a 108-51 record which you'll be hard pressed to find a match for amongst coaches not named Saban/Meyer.
What could he do at UF with fertile recruiting? At worst he might be Richt. But we won't be looking back 4 years later wondering what we were dong hiring another unproven "diamond in the rough".
I have to disagree with you on your assessment of Gundy, I already see a Richt guy. Someone who for the last 10 years has been in a conference of one team to beat but always losing a game or two they shouldn't. I think he is a good coach, but not a slam dunk guarantee nor someone to toss a bunch of money at.

TheSaintThing05

Founding Member
Frost or death
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
My top Three: Scott Frost, Mike Gundy and Willie Taggert. I don't buy that Frost to Nebraska is a slam dunk. I hear he loves it in Fla and realizes that built in recruiting advantages this state has. Part of the reason he took the UCF gig. It really is depressing to think UCF has Frost at a fraction of what we're paying Butter Teeth. Unreal.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Did you just include Jimbo on your list of can't-miss coaches?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I have to disagree with you on your assessment of Gundy, I already see a Richt guy. Someone who for the last 10 years has been in a conference of one team to beat but always losing a game or two they shouldn't. I think he is a good coach, but not a slam dunk guarantee nor someone to toss a bunch of money at.

Fair enough. But Richt had everything going for him that's what makes him such a bust. Georgia is/was a traditional SEC powerhouse. They don't lack money, recruiting or prestige.
OK St, as I said, is a perennial 2nd rate school in its state and 3rd rated in its conference. And it's not like Gundy hasn't won the conference.

Put another way, if Gundy had his record at Georgia I'd agree with you. But he's behind the 8-ball at OK St.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Saban is a N=1 hardly something to hang ones hat on. Alabama is always the outlier that should never factor into discussion
Alabama was in worse shape than we are now back when they hired saban. The NFL had chewed him up and spit him out just like it did Kelly . Sabans only option was college if he wanted to keep coaching so he took the best job available. Chip Kelly's only option if he wants to continue coaching is college and Florida will be the best job available. Don't see why it is such a long shot if we wanted him?

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Fair enough. But Richt had everything going for him that's what makes him such a bust. Georgia is/was a traditional SEC powerhouse. They don't lack money, recruiting or prestige.
OK St, as I said, is a perennial 2nd rate school in its state and 3rd rated in its conference. And it's not like Gundy hasn't won the conference.

Put another way, if Gundy had his record at Georgia I'd agree with you. But he's behind the 8-ball at OK St.
Folks don't understand that if a coach is winning championships they're not gonna leave.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Not directly for another job. Osu was very happy with tressel when meyer quit.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
No, it was directly for another job. You think it was all just happenstance?
Lets not have this argument again. Can't we agree that coaches leaving a school that they're winning championships at is unlikely?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My top Three: Scott Frost, Mike Gundy and Willie Taggert. I don't buy that Frost to Nebraska is a slam dunk. I hear he loves it in Fla and realizes that built in recruiting advantages this state has. Part of the reason he took the UCF gig. It really is depressing to think UCF has Frost at a fraction of what we're paying Butter Teeth. Unreal.

There is a lot to be said about legacy, and Frost is a Nebraska legacy... I know his dad and uncle. Also people forget he was also a 2 year letterman at Stanford, what if they called?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Beating McEl-taint twice doesn't make you a great coach. When Harbaugh wins more often than once every 5 games against his 2 biggest rivals let me know, and we can revisit the idea of his greatness.

The loss to Michigan State last weekend was a big deal. There is no reason that Michigan team should have lost to a less talented Mich St team. Harbaugh did a good job at Stanford, but has yet to win anything. He out coached McElwain twice ... so what... Even Orgeron did that!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We still think we can point a magic wand a command whomever we want. That's true as long as the wand's loaded with 6-7 mil USD.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The loss to Michigan State last weekend was a big deal. There is no reason that Michigan team should have lost to a less talented Mich St team.
Im sure Meatchikin is just happy that they scored and probably see an improvement.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We still think we can point a magic wand a command whomever we want. That's true as long as the wand's loaded with 6-7 mil USD.
We can command a lot...coaches may be a little more inclined to stay where they are these days but there are still going to be plenty of very talented coaches that would love to come here and compete for championships. It is the sole reason why Meyer came here over ND...he saw he could win and win big here vs ND. We just haven't gone out there and gotten one since then...we instead elected to go hire a journeyman DC and butters instead of going out there and finding another alpha male.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We can command a lot...coaches may be a little more inclined to stay where they are these days but there are still going to be plenty of very talented coaches that would love to come here and compete for championships. It is the sole reason why Meyer came here over ND...he saw he could win and win big here vs ND. We just haven't gone out there and gotten one since then...we instead elected to go hire a journeyman DC and butters instead of going out there and finding another alpha male.
Glad you are still alive.

All of what dude said. There are basically three jobs in football that give you homefield advantage for enough talent to dominate. All these coaches fighting for 2 stars in Oklahoma, Iowa and Maryland would die to have this advantage.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Glad you are still alive.

All of what dude said. There are basically three jobs in football that give you homefield advantage for enough talent to dominate. All these coaches fighting for 2 stars in Oklahoma, Iowa and Maryland would die to have this advantage.

The problem is finding the right coach that is currently fighting for 2 stars. That seems to be the challenge we are having.

In my opinion the goal is to find a coach who can win a title. I don't think Gundy is that guy, but I know a lot of people disagree. The problem is that I don't know who that guy is... it looks like UGA may have found something with Kirby, but Muschamp had a good second season also. Kirby's recruiting makes you believe he will continue to have success.

I do like Fuentes at Va Tech, but I don't think he is a slam dunk. I really don't know who is out there that is a slam dunk... whoever we hire... we are going to have to hope they are not a McElwain/Muschamp. They better have a last name that doesn't start with the letter "M".

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.