YSU - Rapist allowed on team, just can't play

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015

Youngstown St. student convicted of '12 rape won't play this season

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Youngstown State says a student who was convicted of rape as a teen in a case that drew international attention will be allowed to be part of the football team but won't play in any games this season.

The school made the announcement Wednesday after drawing criticism for taking Ma'Lik Richmond on the team as a walk-on.

In a statement, the school said it "is fully aware of the gravity of the situation and of petitions that are circulating on social media" in protest of Richmond, who served about 10 months in a juvenile lockup after being convicted with another Steubenville football player of raping a 16-year-old girl during an alcohol-fueled party in 2012.

His co-defendant, Trent Mays, plays football for Division II Central State University.

I never had an issue with Bo Pellini, nor the Stoops family (another of the brothers is on this staff), but having Sweater Vest as school president given his thug history.... not surprising.

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm all for second chances especially for young kids but I'll be damned if I'd let my daughter attend a school that lets a convicted rapist enroll because he's a good football player.

Would he be able to get in if he didn't play football?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Was it one of those statutory things where he was 18 and the girl was sixteen like that kid in Georgia a few years back?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Was it one of those statutory things where he was 18 and the girl was sixteen like that kid in Georgia a few years back?

"served about 10 months in a juvenile lockup after being convicted with another Steubenville football player of raping a 16-year-old girl during an alcohol-fueled party in 2012."

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm all for second chances especially for young kids but I'll be damned if I'd let my daughter attend a school that lets a convicted rapist enroll because he's a good football player.

Would he be able to get in if he didn't play football?
Would we have a football program if our guys had to live up to the same standards as the average student? However, he walked on which suggests that he was admitted and paying his own way like the average student.

All it says is that he was convicted of rape at an alcohol fueled party. We don't have the facts of the case. Besides the fact that some prosecutors have made the argument that you can't give consent under the influence. Hell, Callaway is suing, basically claiming he was raped because he was high. It makes it sound like he drugged, beat, and forcible raped someone, when it could have been consensual. We don't have the story.

If he didn't lie on his application, then he was accepted to the University with their knowledge and he's paying his own way. Why shouldn't he play? He made it on the team and has done what was asked of him.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Youngstown State? Rank amateurs.

If he wrapped up his 14 year old first cousin with duct tape over 70% of her body, then raped her with a toilet plunger, he could have gotten a scholarship at Tennessee.

Alex.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
"served about 10 months in a juvenile lockup after being convicted with another Steubenville football player of raping a 16-year-old girl during an alcohol-fueled party in 2012."
This hardly tells the whole story. I wonder how many posters here could have been charged with some sort of statutory rape or sexual assault based on things they did in high school after getting drunk. BTW I think the other kid actually IS playing ball at another school.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This hardly tells the whole story. I wonder how many posters here could have been charged with some sort of statutory rape or sexual assault based on things they did in high school after getting drunk. BTW I think the other kid actually IS playing ball at another school.

That wouldn't surprise me, and yes, had today's culture of "you can't consent if you're drunk" existed when I was growing up, I'd have spent all my time in court. Girls were always getting me drunk so they could take advantage of me. It scarred me for life.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That wouldn't surprise me, and yes, had today's culture of "you can't consent if you're drunk" existed when I was growing up, I'd have spent all my time in court. Girls were always getting me drunk so they could take advantage of me. It scarred me for life.

I feel your pain...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The Steubenville rape case is nationally famous and it was a very violent gang rape.

Im not surprised all the usual subjects are taking up for the piece of shyt though.

Im also not surprised that Sweatervest is involved. He got his start with Earl Bruce and John Cooper along with Nurvous Leyer. Leyer isnt the only one with a Circle of Immunity for the talented criminals.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The Steubenville rape case is nationally famous and it was a very violent gang rape.

Im not surprised all the usual subjects are taking up for the piece of shyt though.

Im also not surprised that Sweatervest is involved. He got his start with Earl Bruce and John Cooper along with Nurvous Leyer. Leyer isnt the only one with a Circle of Immunity for the talented criminals.
No one is taking up for him. All that has been said is that we don't know the details. If you have them, post them.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

I didn't follow the story closely, but I remember the level of blind loyalty for the athletes shown by the community was quite disturbing. There was reportedly a ton of victim blaming. It was ugly.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

The usual suspects? GFY

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't follow the story closely, but I remember the level of blind loyalty for the athletes shown by the community was quite disturbing. There was reportedly a ton of victim blaming. It was ugly.
Victim blaming, shocking.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015

Ma'lik Richmond's temporary reinstatement upheld by appeals court

A federal appeals court is allowing an Ohio man convicted of rape as a teenager to play in a college football game Saturday.

The court declined to block a judge's decision to allow 21-year-old Steubenville resident Ma'lik Richmond to play for Youngstown State for at least the next 14 days.

Youngstown State appealed the decision Friday morning. The court dismissed the school's appeal Friday afternoon.

A U.S. district judge has ruled that Ma'lik Richmond, who was convicted of rape as a teen, will be temporarily reinstated to the Youngstown State football team.

For Ma'lik Richmond, how far should second chances go?
Ma'lik Richmond, who was convicted of rape as a juvenile, has been allowed to walk on to the Youngstown State football team. As espnW's Kavitha Davidson writes, education is a right, but sports are a privilege, one that confers both status and advantages.
Richmond sued the university after it allowed him to join the football team and then told him he couldn't play this season.

He is seeking reinstatement to the team's active roster along with attorney fees and an unspecified amount in damages.

And, so .... now he is playing. At least YSU tried to block it.

But wtf, is this espnW's Kavitha Davidson coming from that "education is a right, but sports are a privilege, one that confers both status and advantages"? I thought both were a privilege that confers both status and advantages and that neither is a right.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
No one is taking up for him. All that has been said is that we don't know the details. If you have them, post them.
Him and his buddy took a passed out drunk girl to a basement and orally and vaginally penetrated her. They filmed her on social media and passed out the pictures to all their friends.

Does that pass your he's definitely a rapist test? Plus his father just got killed trying to murder a judge. Trust me, you don't want this guy on your team!

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ma'lik Richmond's temporary reinstatement upheld by appeals court

And, so .... now he is playing. At least YSU tried to block it.

But wtf, is this espnW's Kavitha Davidson coming from that "education is a right, but sports are a privilege, one that confers both status and advantages"? I thought both were a privilege that confers both status and advantages and that neither is a right.
You have to know she's a lefty, she works for the feminist wing of ESPN

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Him and his buddy took a passed out drunk girl to a basement and orally and vaginally penetrated her. They filmed her on social media and passed out the pictures to all their friends.

Does that pass your he's definitely a rapist test? Plus his father just got killed trying to murder a judge. Trust me, you don't want this guy on your team!
duly noted and agree. if that's what happened string him up.

On his being able to play, if he's good enough to be a student, he's good enough to be allowed to play. I hate that they try to cherry pick based on public backlash. Either he's a student or he's not. Thankfully this is a YSU problem and not a real school problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.