Zach's Mail Stack

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
FWIW... just happy to get any info. Check out the last question on DTs... definitely the best and most important question of the three. Wonder who asked it?

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...ountryUF&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — It’s been a wild week with the Oregon rumors about Jim McElwain and all the news surrounding potential quarterback transfers for Florida.

There’s also some game in Atlanta this weekend.

The Gators will take on No. 1 Alabama in the SEC Championship on Saturday, and then McElwain and his assistants will hit the road recruiting until Dec. 12.

Which transfer QB do you think the coaching staff have better chances with? Would landing one impact Jake Allen?
(From @bruhlaw1981, @drdalehuevo2195, @Dupree4Three, @blakehendrick56, @JimmyG1574, @dangerdan8, @mmajosh)

This is obviously the hot topic of the week. With Luke Del Rio’s struggles this season and the uncertainty surrounding true freshmen Feleipe Franks and Kyle Trask, the quarterback position will once again be a question mark in 2017.

The Gators are in the mix for three quarterbacks: junior college players Blake Barnett (Alabama) and Jarrett Stidham (Baylor) and graduate transfer Malik Zaire. Of the three, UF has the best chance with Zaire.

Barnett and Stidham have had several schools after them for a while, and Florida is a little late to the party. One of them would need to officially visit this month for that to change.

Zaire, however, just announced his intentions to transfer this week and lists Florida as one of his favorites. He did not win the Irish’s starting job this year and suffered a season-ending injury in the second game of 2015, but the Elite 11 finalist had impressive performances against LSU, Texas and Southern Cal.

He’s a dual-threat quarterback with 816 passing yards and 324 rushing yards in basically four games of action. Zaire also hasn’t thrown an interception in 98 career pass attempts.

He would be a good option for the Gators, giving them not only a security blanket for another year, but also a different element in their offense. Allen gave SEC Country his thoughts on the possible addition of Zaire.

“He would be a really good get,” Allen said. “It would be cool to learn behind him for a year.”

Chances we get 4-star receivers James Robinson and Henry Ruggs? Giving up on DPJ at this point.
(From @DonaldLiscomb)

It’s probably best to not get your hopes up on 5-star WR Donovan Peoples-Jones. He enjoyed his official visit to UF and the staff has recruited him relentlessly, but overcoming Michigan for a Detroit standout is a tall task for an SEC school. If Florida’s quarterback of the future was already in place and the offense had made significant strides this year, maybe that could have swayed him away from the in-state Wolverines.

The Gators’ chances are much better with Robinson (Lakeland, Fla.) and Ruggs (Montgomery, Ala.). Robinson named UF his leader back in the spring, while Ruggs did the Gator Chomp at one of his games and has shown interest.

Both of them plan to officially visit Florida before making their decisions. I foresee Robinson joining the class on signing day because of proximity to home and his relationship with area recruiter Torrian Gray.

How much did those two in-home visits help us with 5-star recruits Shaun Wade and Alex Leatherwood?
(From @_Gators, @TheBigDog16)

Unfortunately the visit with Leatherwood didn’t happen due to bad weather in the Panhandle. The Gators will go in-home next week and then host Leatherwood for an official visit on Dec. 9. That’s two trips to UF in one month and gives Florida the final crack at the Alabama offensive tackle commit before the dead period. He plans to make a final decision later this month.

UF did see Wade in Jacksonville, Fla., on Wednesday night and sent four coaches to his house, including McElwain. Sources told SEC Country the visit went well and that Florida feels good about its chances. However, the staff was hoping to get the Ohio State commit on campus Dec. 9, but Wade has decided against using his final official visit because he wants to take some time and think over his recruitment.

The Gators have done all they can to flip these two early enrollees, from holding satellite camps at their high schools to hosting them for unofficial visits during the season. The ball is in their court at this point.

Who is the one prospect UF can get to flip?
(From @PASportsSports)

I’m not expecting the Gators to flip Leatherwood or Wade, but watch out for Auburn commit Tray Bishop from Dawson, Ga. The 4-star athlete committed to the Tigers as a quarterback, but he revealed to SEC Country that he wants to play safety. That change of heart has opened the door for UF to get the U.S. Army All-American on board.

He attended the South Carolina game last month, giving high praise to the Gators and the play of their secondary. He’s well aware that Florida is considered ‘DBU’ and has a track record of not only sending defensive backs to the NFL, but in the first round of the draft. That reputation — as well as the Gators’ need for a safety — could put them over the top.

Who is left on the board at DT? Any chance we go after the twins who de-committed from Tennessee?
(From @ATXG8R, @nrorlando2STL)

Florida will continue to pursue several prospects at the position because it’s priority in this year’s recruiting cycle. The staff may look at another junior college transfer to join Javier Edwards, the lone DT commit in the Class of 2017.

Tyrone Truesdell, however, will eventually change that. The 3-star recruit from Augusta, Ga., has been favoring the Gators for a couple of months and it appears to be a forgone conclusion that he will end up in their class.

Brandon and Breyon Gaddy, both of whom de-committed from Tennessee on Tuesday, don’t hold offers from UF at this time. But Florida continues to pursue FSU defensive tackle commit Cory Durden from Newberry, Fla. He attended the South Carolina game and received an-home visit from area recruiter Greg Nord on Wednesday.

A pair of 3-star defensive tackles, Alec Jackson (Montgomery, Ala.) and Kane Taylor (Clearwater, Fla.), have also been evaluated by UF this fall.

Unless otherwise indicated, ratings and rankings come from the 247Sports Composite.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, thank you, add them all to the shopping cart.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If he's a 3star, we want him......

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I always hated the title to his reporting. Zach's Male Sack. :puke:

So, basically, we aren't getting anyone and our coaches really do a great job of evaluating.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So if we get Zaire I guess we will be adopting Malzahn's offense or we will be running a bunch of wildcat. Talk about a messed up situation we seem to have at QB going into next year.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That's depressing . So basically Abolverdi thinks we have zero shot at flipping or landing anyone really elite. Wow

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That's depressing . So basically Abolverdi thinks we have zero shot at flipping or landing anyone really elite. Wow
Well... TBH, his track record is wrong more often than right so we do have that going for us.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
I always hated the title to his reporting. Zach's Male Sack. :puke:

So, basically, we aren't getting anyone and our coaches really do a great job of evaluating.
Now Nv, you know Mac and crew turn 3 stars into 5 stars and junk into jewels, i.e., Luke and Appleby.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We really need DTs. So what do we do? Do we send in Collins? Do we send in Rumph? Nope. We send in Nord. Who probably won't even be here.

Hell, Mac should've shown up on that home visit.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Where's that J. Juedy kid at? He's the best WR I've seen in this class.

As long as Summers is coaching oline I won't expect Leatherwood to come here. Sharpe and Ivey were top rated offensive lineman and what's Summers done with them? He surely hasn't made them all SEC or anything. Why would anyone want to come be part of this cluster fck?

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Spivey is more optimistic about the DT twins. He says UF is pursuing. There were grade concerns, but UF believes they will qualify. They are just now turning up the heat as they thought they were off the table.

Nord is the area recruiter for G'ville I believe. But in our current state at DT, you send Collins and Rumph with him at a minimum. Really no reason to not have McElwain there too. He should be in on all OL and DT recruitments.

Apparently they due have a couple 3* backup targets. Truesdell (sp) is supposed to be a lock at this point.

My take is we need to take 4. Two HS and two JUCO. I think once we get numbers up, we can take 2 a year while accepting rejects from the OL.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Going somewhere other than UF.

Like all the elite kids, we aren't even on his top 5 or top 10 list .

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Apparently they due have a couple 3* backup targets. Truesdell (sp) is supposed to be a lock at this point.
Truesdell is more of a 3+ that several bigger schools want.

The other three stars I'm seeing are FIU/FAU type players. I guess it's better than nothing but we pay these guys millions and they are making us a Sunbelt team.

We will be lucky to land 4 but we should have landed 2 jucos (at least) and 3 from HS. We should have taken 2 in 2015, 2 in 2016, and 2 with this class. Taking 4 doesn't get us back on track and still leaves us needing 4-5 next year. Close to half of these guys we are taking won't pan out or will get injured. It's the nature of the beast with the big eaters.

Our DT dysfunction also affects other recruiting. We are seeing SDE types (bigger ends) refusing to consider us because they know that if you break 250lbs at Florida you are forced to move inside and play out of position.

Last edited:

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Going somewhere other than UF.

Like all the elite kids, we aren't even on his top 5 or top 10 list .
I know at one time he was high on us. That must have been before the season started. :rolleyes3:

Mac's the only coach I've ever seen who's product on the field scares recruits away. He needs to some how get everyone committed and signed before the season starts.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

As long as Summers is coaching oline I won't expect Leatherwood to come here. Sharpe and Ivey were top rated offensive lineman and what's Summers done with them? He surely hasn't made them all SEC or anything. Why would anyone want to come be part of this cluster fck?
Juedy is all Bama. Doubtful we get him on campus. Apparently Robinson has kept his nose clean, and we'll likely take him.

They can spin the OL situation. Tell him look at Taylor and Jordan. Look at McCoy who is undersized and making an impact. They can blame Sharpe for not keeping weight off, and Ivey's injuries. Not that any of us give it credence.

Leatherwood knows he starts next year at UF. He will actually develop quicker due to more reps in game and practice. Question for him is where will his development be at the end of year three. We know what we all think.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Truesdell is more of a 3+ that several bigger schools want.

The other three stars I'm seeing are FIU/FAU type players. I guess it's better than nothing but we pay these guys millions and they are making us a Sunbelt team.

We will be lucky to land 4 but we should have landed 2 jucos (at least) and 3 from HS. We should have taken 2 in 2015, 2 in 2016, and 2 with this class. Taking 4 doesn't get us back on track and still leaves us needing 4-5 next year. Close to half of these guys we are taking won't pan out or will get injured. It's the nature of the beast with the big eaters.

Our DT dysfunction also affects other recruiting. We are seeing SDE types (bigger ends) refusing to consider us because they know that if you break 250lbs at Florida you are forced to move inside and play out of position.

Good post Law. Especially on the SDE issue. These SDE's want to stay there because they likely have NFL potential if they go in the draft around 280lbs. The only saving grace is the staff can say they'll play a "Bullard" role (inside/outside). But, to your point, yes....these bigger DE's don't want to come here and play DT. Also, you are right that about half of these kids won't pan out; they either get injured, are not SEC caliber, or transfer/get in trouble.

You are right that the other 3-star DT's listed are FAU/FIU types...but we NEED them. So I hope this dumbass staff takes a flyer on - at least - one of them.

The kid from Clearwater - Kane Taylor (Clearwater, Fla.) - is the one we should pursue as our Plan B. He's 6'2, 280+ and will easily grow into a 300lb DT.

http://247sports.com/Player/Kane-Taylor-86119

The 247 link says he actually has offers from Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miami, and FAU. Looks like USF is coming after him as well. He was visited in October by Nussmeir.

Bottom line, we need this kid...or another one like him. It looks like he's closer to a USF/UCF type than FAU/FIU...so I think that's as good as we're going to get on a Plan B. And honestly though, those FAU DT's looked pretty good last year in Gainesville! :D

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

As previous stated Jeudy is all Bama... and honestly... can you really blame him? Playing for the best team with the best facilities and best coach... not to mention best money bag men...

Bama gets who they want.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Found this posted on the homer site by a poster "coachb3":

Hope it's Leatherwood. Summers was supposed to meet him at my sisters last night for dinner but his flight was delayed. My sister is Alex's self-proclaimed "God-mother," and says he is a 50/50 split right now. He wants to be an Engineering major so I'm hoping that can also be an angle UF can use, I've tried but my knowledge of the department is limited.

Followed by (after some questions to his first post):

Honestly, don't know if Mac visiting Leatherwood does anything. They've met a lot. He likes Summers and UF but I think he may be scared to decommit from Bama. He's an early enrollee so if he does flip, expect it to be last minute so he doesn't have to deal with Saban fallout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator