Zach's Mail Stack

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Apparently they due have a couple 3* backup targets. Truesdell (sp) is supposed to be a lock at this point.

My take is we need to take 4. Two HS and two JUCO. I think once we get numbers up, we can take 2 a year while accepting rejects from the OL.

I hope they do have some Plan B's.

To your last comment; agree, and we need to do that. It's a desperate situation. I think it's obvious Riles moves over but we "should" move another one over if they are not playing. No need to let Bryan & Clark take a beating an entire game when we can insert a big body in there for 10 snaps a game. Right now, looking at the roster (I posted this in the Depth Chart thread), Buchanan - at 6'2 301lbs - looks like a solid prospect for the DL. If we go into next year with only Clark, Bryan (as starters) and Riles & Edwards (JUCO kid) as the backups we need another non-true freshman over there (for depth). It's almost certain that 2 of these 4 DTs will miss time due to injuries at some point in the season. I know the staff is hoping that CeCe, Polite, and Ancrum will be stop-gaps to play some snaps....but they aren't true SEC DT's (not at 260-275lbs). Buchanan (or another OL) moving over would give us a 300+lb option.

It's a shame this staff has put us in this situation....

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Good post Law. Especially on the SDE issue. These SDE's want to stay there because they likely have NFL potential if they go in the draft around 280lbs. The only saving grace is the staff can say they'll play a "Bullard" role (inside/outside). But, to your point, yes....these bigger DE's don't want to come here and play DT. Also, you are right that about half of these kids won't pan out; they either get injured, are not SEC caliber, or transfer/get in trouble.

You are right that the other 3-star DT's listed are FAU/FIU types...but we NEED them. So I hope this dumbass staff takes a flyer on - at least - one of them.

The kid from Clearwater - Kane Taylor (Clearwater, Fla.) - is the one we should pursue as our Plan B. He's 6'2, 280+ and will easily grow into a 300lb DT.

http://247sports.com/Player/Kane-Taylor-86119

The 247 link says he actually has offers from Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miami, and FAU. Looks like USF is coming after him as well. He was visited in October by Nussmeir.

Bottom line, we need this kid...or another one like him. It looks like he's closer to a USF/UCF type than FAU/FIU...so I think that's as good as we're going to get on a Plan B. And honestly though, those FAU DT's looked pretty good last year in Gainesville! :D

Agree... the biggest key in recruiting right now is the DT position (which is why I asked Zach that question). I was relieved to hear we at least have some other guys we are looking at.

I would be thrilled if it is true that we are trying to gain some ground with the twins, but we really need DTs in this class or our D is going to be toast for years.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Agree... the biggest key in recruiting right now is the DT position (which is why I asked Zach that question). I was relieved to hear we at least have some other guys we are looking at.

I would be thrilled if it is true that we are trying to gain some ground with the twins, but we really need DTs in this class or our D is going to be toast for years.

at least 2 DTs, would like 4 or 5 we need depth badly.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
at least 2 DTs, would like 4 or 5 we need depth badly.

Douglas, I think we ALL want 4 or 5. At this point, due to incompetence, we'll be LUCKY as hell to get one!

Hopefully Truesdale commits soon....and we can land Kane Taylor or another Plan B. I'm not holding my breath though. This staff should have had a Plan B in last year's class (he'd be redshirting right now and likely ready to play some SEC football next fall...instead we signed ZERO!).

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Douglas, I think we ALL want 4 or 5. At this point, due to incompetence, we'll be LUCKY as hell to get one!

Hopefully Truesdale commits soon....and we can land Kane Taylor or another Plan B. I'm not holding my breath though. This staff should have had a Plan B in last year's class (he'd be redshirting right now and likely ready to play some SEC football next fall...instead we signed ZERO!).

I think we all complained about that at the time, and the staff doesn't get a pass for it... but it's water under the bridge at this point. We hope that they make up for it. But I do believe their lack of DT, OL, and LB recruiting will be their downfall. It appears at least that all other positions groups are being addresses (maybe not with the type of talent expected) but 3* at a positions is much, much better than no one at that position.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I think we all complained about that at the time, and the staff doesn't get a pass for it... but it's water under the bridge at this point. We hope that they make up for it. But I do believe their lack of DT, OL, and LB recruiting will be their downfall. It appears at least that all other positions groups are being addresses (maybe not with the type of talent expected) but 3* at a positions is much, much better than no one at that position.

Agree on all. Honestly, I think if we "only" sign 2 OL's in this class we're okay at OL. We only have a few upper classman OLs right now, so they can afford a smaller class this year. We probably need at least 1 more LB....but DT is the issue. Like I said earlier, I think we need to move an OL over to DL. We have some bodies at OL that are not really playing, so why not? But ideally, we'll sign 2 HS kids and the JUCO this year and hopefully next class add 3 more (including another JUCO).

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
OL to DL and vice versa seem like no brainers to me. Either should know the role that they are leaving and how best to exploit it. Similar to WRs to CBs

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
OL to DL and vice versa seem like no brainers to me. Either should know the role that they are leaving and how best to exploit it. Similar to WRs to CBs

I agree on DT to OG, but not DT to OT. I remember the Bengals tyring to teach a DT to be an OT in a season of Hard Knocks, it was an abstract failure... run blocking was easy, but to block in space was a disaster and to absorb instead of give the rush was a joke.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We really need DTs. So what do we do? Do we send in Collins? Do we send in Rumph? Nope. We send in Nord. Who probably won't even be here.

Hell, Mac should've shown up on that home visit.
No doubt. It's only 20 miles away - Rumph, Collins, Mac should be rotating turns at sitting on his doorstep. Hell, if anything go get some breakfast at the Country Kitchen with him, along with his parents.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No doubt. It's only 20 miles away - Rumph, Collins, Mac should be rotating turns at sitting on his doorstep. Hell, if anything go get some breakfast at the Country Kitchen with him, along with his parents.

We want him to come to Florida, not go elsewhere.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We want him to come to Florida, not go elsewhere.
Had a girlfriend who bought a house and some acreage outside of Newberry back in the 90s from the folks who owned the Country Kitchen - we never ate there. :lol:

Last edited:

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Next year needs to hurry up and be over so we can move on from Mac and Co.

I don't think they could recruit a fat person to a free all you can eat buffet, they are that pathetic!

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Found this posted on the homer site by a poster "coachb3":

Hope it's Leatherwood. Summers was supposed to meet him at my sisters last night for dinner but his flight was delayed. My sister is Alex's self-proclaimed "God-mother," and says he is a 50/50 split right now. He wants to be an Engineering major so I'm hoping that can also be an angle UF can use, I've tried but my knowledge of the department is limited.

Followed by (after some questions to his first post):

Honestly, don't know if Mac visiting Leatherwood does anything. They've met a lot. He likes Summers and UF but I think he may be scared to decommit from Bama. He's an early enrollee so if he does flip, expect it to be last minute so he doesn't have to deal with Saban fallout.

I never pay any attention to a players comments about academics since 90%+ of it is blabber. More often than not, a kid will mention engineering and then go to a school that doesn't even offer the major.
Leatherwood will go to Bama because he thinks engineering involves playing with Choo Choo's and therefore Bama is the place for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.