“Swamp Kings” on Netflix released

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
247 and On3 have been given access already and have been putting out some teasers.

The Siler story in this article is hilarious. But here is a Tebow story that I think you all would like.

Signing Tim Tebow​

To be frank, this documentary doesn’t get made if Tim Tebow doesn’t come to the Univeristy of Florida. The Gators wouldn’t have had that run if not for Tebow, Meyer might not have lasted at Florida as long as he did had Tebow not signed with Florida.

Now, it’s hard to imagine Tebow playing for another school, but listening to the stories that Meyer and Tebow told, it wasn’t always a foregone conclusion.

Dan Mullen: The biggest missing pice was the quarterback that could not just throw but run with the ball.

Urban Meyer: One day as I’m getting off the plane, the guy that’s helping us with our bags says, ‘hey, you need to recruit this Tim Tebow guy. That’s the first time I heard his name. He says he’s a quarterback here in Jacksonville that’s a really good player and everyone loves him. I take another seven steps and someone says, ‘hey, Tebow.’ Then there’s fans and half of them are screaming, ‘hey, recruit Tebow.’

After a while, you’re like, ‘ok, enough of the Tebow stuff.’ So I went and watched him play and I just remember I was paralyzed at what I was watching … I got in my car and said, that’s got to be my quarterback.

Tim Tebow: I was fortunate to have a lot of schools interested in me. Alabama, LSU, Southern Cal, Michigan, Ohio State — Florida wasn’t even in the picture.

Urban Meyer: We had to have Tim Tebow. Offensively we were struggling. That was ripping my heart apart that we weren’t holding up our end of the bargain.

Paul Finebaum: How does he save this thing? It came down to landing a major fish on the recruiting trail. It keeps the fans excited and sets you up on the field the next year.

Meyer says that he put the full-court press on Tebow for months. Once Meyer saw Tebow play in person he had to have the quarterback.

Tim Tebow: I was really torn. My dad said, Timmy, why don’t you go do this, go to your room, get on your knees and pray to God. I believe in the morning God will put on your heart where you’re supposed to go. So I wake up the next morning (Signing Day) and I have no idea where I’m supposed to go.

Paul Finebaum: The rumor was he wanted to go to Alabama. I’m not sure that I understood what Urban Meyer understood. That if he he missed on Tebow he was not going to succeed. It was really that simple.

Urban Meyer: He was praying at the lake all day with his dog. That was how he was going to make his decision. Finally at about five until 5:00. I’m caught in traffic but my cellphone rings and I see it’s Tim Tebow.

Tim Tebow: I call Coach Meyer and he’s panicking. He knows in 10 minutes I’ve gotta tell the world where I’m going to be and I hadn’t called him yet.

Urban Meyer: He says, Coach, I just want you to know that I’ve decided to — and the phone goes dead. I start punching the dashboard. I really thought we lost him.

Meyer didn’t lose him and the Gators didn’t lose many football games over the next four seasons.
Don't leave me hanging! Where did he go?!

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
Cant be true, everyone here said the show was going to cripple the program. Please rewatch and tell us more

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Bad press is better than no press. No press means you're irrelevant.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I’ve read a review. It said the series didn’t say much about Hernandez or dwell much on the arrests. He also said they didn’t spend any time on the playbook, just kept on about hoe well it worked. I’m surprised & happy it’s positive. Might help recruiting a bit.

I’ll watch it this week.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Just binged it.

It was mostly positive.

SPIKES [2008]
"I don't care if we lose every other game but we HAVE to beat [the Leghumpers]"

denzel washington GIF

I didn't know that the defense and offense were at each other's throats in 2009. The media's "Tebow mania" was the catalyst.

Our defense returned 20 from the 2008 two deep. Should have won that SECCG.

If only ...

Last edited:

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Took the day off and just watched all 4.....really well done aside from the Gator heating ****head Finebaum. Well worth the investment, it also reminded me how frustrating it was to watch Leak

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
Just binged it.

It was mostly positive.

SPIKES [2008]
"I don't care if we lose every other game but we HAVE to beat [the Leghumpers]"

denzel washington GIF

I didn't know that the defense and offense were at each other's throats in 2009. The media's "Tebow mania" was the catalyst.

Our defense returned 20 from 2008 two deep. Should have won that SECCG.

If only ...

I love Ahmad Black asking if he could use a bad word and then saying “I fuching hate Georgia!” :lol2:

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
I watched the first episode and thought it was great. Out of the players highlighted in the episode, with stars like Tebow, Spikes, Baker and Siler...I realized that I probably miss Brandon James more than any of them. Its been a long time since we were deadly on special teams.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
I’ve watched the first two , has been good. Interesting tangy they interviewed Mullen

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I watched the first episode and thought it was great. Out of the players highlighted in the episode, with stars like Tebow, Spikes, Baker and Siler...I realized that I probably miss Brandon James more than any of them. Its been a long time since we were deadly on special teams.
Tennessee still has PTSD from him. Brandon had extra MOJO for those games.

Last edited:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Watched first two… so far, my favorite quote is when Dallas Baker scored the tying TD vs ohio state and he flies the bird yelling “f you you mfers”

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
SPOILERS

Watched all four, loved it. Two favorite parts, (1) spikes/mareno hit in 2008 was well set up by Neflix and hearing the players version was awesome (2) after the Ginn Opening TD in 06 Meyer throws his headseat and silar says coach “I didnt want these mf to score either, now lets go win the game”. Chills

Would have like more Reggie Nelson, Harvin, Haden, Cooper, Pouncey but I guess they declined. I’ve seen enough of AHern in other docs, kinda glad they left him out.

This was mostly about Meyer and winning never being enough. The midnight weight room scenes where nice touch as well as the locker divide in 09. Shame on me but forgot how close we came to 3 ships in 4 years during that 09 season

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
1.5 episodes in. Really good. That 2006 team was on the edge of failure much of the year. They don’t have any chance at rings without those extreme measures.

The Lateral Move

Oct 9, 2018
I wish QB1 had made it onto a major platform instead of streaming for free on Tubi. I don't think AR looked that great in it but it would've been more publicity for us

Most of the reviews I saw ahead of Swamp Kings were negative. "Falls flat" blah blah blah

Maybe the low expectations is what made me think it was great

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I've watched three episodes so far. Actually love it but, as all of you, I'm a Gator.
I could easily see another fan turning that off pretty quick.

Observations.
Never realized the leadership from Siler. Wow!
Most of the Tebow stuff, I've seen before. Even the workouts on his farm in Jacksonville. High school stuff. Except, the midnight weight lifts and the footage of Tebow in "Camo".
Strange they didn't delve into the Pouncey's. Although, Given that both of them were very close to Hernandez, that story line could have been damaging.
As I said, I've not seen the entire thing yet so, I'm disappointed they didn't show Ga storming the field in 07 and our answer in 08, including Spikes destroying Mareno.
From comments previous, that's all still to come.
I was surprised about Spikes and how long it took him to take the leadership role Siler asked him to take.
Yes, Leak "highlights" very hard to watch. Although, they did show the "Fumble" that was an incomplete pass, that cost us the Auburn game.

Overall, Gator fans should be very happy about this. So far, a great inside look at what we once were, but haven't been since.
Also clearly shows the hard work, team work and dedication it takes, to get a team to that level.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Now that I’ve seen an inside look at Urban’s strength and conditioning, I want to get the behind the scenes look at Mac’s. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator