1/4 through, trendlines of the team

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I hope Napier coaches here for the next 20 years and puts us back in championship contention every year like we should be. But if he doesn't hire an actual special teams coach and give up play calling soon it'll never happen
Exactly. I can't give this enough likes.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Here are a few very disturbing trends.

Gator trends

The difference in talent has been on display all season but was immensely notable Saturday night. Johnson (3.9 yards per carry) continued to cut outside while missing open rushing lanes inside, while Etienne (6.0 yards per carry) patiently waited for holes to open and blasted both up the middle and off tackle with ease. And yet, Johnson got twice as many carries as Etienne (16-8) with the latter only having four rushes through the first three quarters. This despite Etienne also dominating last week at Tennessee (172 yards, 7.5 yards per carry) while Johnson (23 yards, 1.9 yards per carry) struggled.

It’s decisions like these that lead talented players to consider the transfer portal.

A couple games might be a coincidence, a few games might be a trend, but four games is an abject failure. (And really, it’s more than that dating back to last season.) Florida is putting one of the nation’s worst special teams units on the field weekly and seemingly doing nothing in practice to improve a mistake-prone, ill-equipped unit that is one of a nary few in the FBS (for good reason) without an on-field coordinator.

Florida went 1 of 9 on third down against Charlotte, a team that last season played in Conference USA and entered Saturday night’s contest 1-2 on the season having given up 41 points and 568 total yards to Georgia State just last week. Its lone conversion was on a direct snap to Johnson for a single yard.

UF is now 1 of 17 on third down over the last six quarters.

The Gators failed four times in the red zone, settling for field goals each time despite a pair of fourth-and-1 opportunities — one each in the first and fourth quarter — of which Napier usually takes advantage. They were one of the nation’s worst red zone teams last season, too.

It was no more apparent than when Florida retrieved the ball at its own 35-yard line with 2:30 left in the first half. With an opportunity double up by scoring before halftime and getting the ball to start the second half, Napier called for a throw behind the line of scrimmage. Then the Gators ran for a short gain, purposely wasted the clock, ran again on third down and punted. Again, the drive started with 2:30 left.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
My two cents -

Our young DC has a lot of promise. There's a huge difference in this unit from last season (although that bar is pretty low). He's right at the beginning so I can forgive some of the adjustment issues.

Napier has to learn to do the things he does well and delegate the rest. He is an abysmal play-caller and his passing schemes are hot garbage. He's not an OC. He can win here if he puts his hubris aside and realizes that. I think he does the CEO portion better than maybe anyone.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
The biggest issue with the team is OL. Doesn’t matter what you call if Charlotte is living in your backfield.
This X 1000...but it is a chicken and egg situation....Offensive line is causing playcalling issues and playcalling issues are causing oline issues because opposing teams are going to keep creeping 7,8 or 9 guys into the box. I couldn't watch the first 2 games but in the last 2 weeks Mertz has not completed a single pass where he's set his feet in the pocket and drilled one past 10 yards down the field that I can remember.

Even average SEC teams are going to wilt our much improved defense if we don't start throwing on 1st down to keep the numbers even on the LOS to establish our running game on a consistent basis and quit going 3 and out for 3 quarters of the game.

ted

Aug 24, 2019
BN is digging us out of a historic lack of recruiting under Mac and Mullen. I do believe that he is a genuine dude who does know football and how to recruit at high level. We are currently at 3rd with several more players forecasted to commit/flip to us for the 2023 cycle. I am hopeful that he will understand that a legit OC will make his life easier and also add to the ease with which he can stockpile elite talent. He needs to lock up Armstrong for an extended contract because he is a star in the making and has really made a huge difference with our defense.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
My opinion is that we're making progress, but you can't compete for the SEC Championship without NFL-quality dynamic playmakers. Think about the talent at WR, QB, & RB that Alabama has sent to the NFL in the last 6 or 8 years. They didn't have that (to day's degree) until Sabin realized he had to engineer an attacking & fun offense that attracted Top Tier talent. (Of course, Nick Saban and Alabama aren't exactly a typical example. But they are still an 800 lb gorilla blocking the road to chamionship city.)

Despite CBN's organizational skills, we'll plateau at mid-level SEC w/o a dynamic offense.

I don't think CBN can create a dynamic offense on a DIY basis. Nothing suggests that's native to his football DNA. So he'd have to find somebody who brings a well-delevoped system.

Under present rules, we're limited to 10 assistant coaches. (As is everyone else.)

Making room on the coaching roster for an OC, and maybe a ST coach, requires changing these assignments:

OFF:
* OL
* OL
* RB
* WR
* TE

DEF:
* Def Coor
* DL
* Edge
* (inside) LB
* DB

Billy seems really committed to having the dual OL coaches. Can he/will he give that up, or is there some other way to arrange the pieces?

He probably prays every day for that 10 coach limit rule to be changed.

Regardless ... I'll always be a Gator fan, and will always be watching.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
My opinion is that we're making progress, but you can't compete for the SEC Championship without NFL-quality dynamic playmakers. Think about the talent at WR, QB, & RB that Alabama has sent to the NFL in the last 6 or 8 years. They didn't have that (to day's degree) until Sabin realized he had to engineer an attacking & fun offense that attracted Top Tier talent. (Of course, Nick Saban and Alabama aren't exactly a typical example. But they are still an 800 lb gorilla blocking the road to chamionship city.)

Despite CBN's organizational skills, we'll plateau at mid-level SEC w/o a dynamic offense.

I don't think CBN can create a dynamic offense on a DIY basis. Nothing suggests that's native to his football DNA. So he'd have to find somebody who brings a well-delevoped system.

Under present rules, we're limited to 10 assistant coaches. (As is everyone else.)

Making room on the coaching roster for an OC, and maybe a ST coach, requires changing these assignments:

OFF:
* OL
* OL
* RB
* WR
* TE

DEF:
* Def Coor
* DL
* Edge
* (inside) LB
* DB

Billy seems really committed to having the dual OL coaches. Can he/will he give that up, or is there some other way to arrange the pieces?

As I mentioned in the chatbox during the game, we seem to have only one WR that stretch the field. There may be some freshmen waiting in the wings but Pearsall appears to be it.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
The defense is so much better, and playing with aggression and speed - they know their assignments and execute them.

Mertz is playing as reasonably hoped. His completion percentage is way up, he’s smart, efficient and is a good leader. He needs to take the deeper shots when open. Trusting his efficiency (and the defense) should allow more passing on 1st & 2nd downs. However, setting tendencies then breaking them in bigger games is important, too.

We have a PK. (Curious what was happening in practice or off the field that kept Smack as KO only.)

OL is a work in progress, which showed progress the one game the starters have all played together.

I’m more concerned about execution than the play calling. Guys do get open on deeper routes but Mertz takes the surer pass or is pressured to take the check-downs. Wilson makes a huge difference.

Billy is proving himself on the talent acquisition side. Few impactful players are holdovers. The young recruits are either living up to their rating and/or their staff evaluation. The transfers are huge. Jackson & Banks have solidified the DL and we have a very strong rotation. Mitchell is making plays when he’s in. Kimber is playing great. Mertz, Pearsall, Montrell and Mazzcua are vital to the offense. We plugged in the pieces we needed from the portal.

ST improved a lot this week. But they have to get those units sorted. I still don’t like the jersey-changing due to double numbers. But I do have an idea about making sure they have 11, no more, no less, on the field.

Sesame Street Vampire GIF by Muppet Wiki

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
p.s. They do have a guy, Chris Couch, who coordinates ST. We have looked uncoordinated. He needs to be the change or be changed.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
The analytics should work! At least statistical anomalies don’t exist.

I was okay with the kicks, because we have shown zero ability to get short yardage. Have better play calling on 1/2nd.

Grumbler

Lifetime Member
Nov 24, 2017
It definitely feels like there are fewer areas of utter disaster than last year. Armstrong was quite a find... and needs to be locked up long term asap (contract, not jail). Funny how that works... stop playing scared money with corners 12 yards off every single play, let athletes be athletes and see what happens.

Now go find an Austin Armstrong to run the offense.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Our offensive woes ain't due to OL or WR. Mertz needs to do a better job pre snap but he is good enough to run the offense. Now...................as far as BN goes and whoever else is in charge of the offense, either get on the damn phone and get some advice or get SOS to help you with your passing game and I am being serious. This shyt of running into a loaded box while the D is in cover zero is incompetent and we do it on a chronic sort of basis. We have to be able to attack that..period. It will free up the running game, maybe create some big play TD's so we don't have to continue to shyt the bed in the redzone and give future opponents something to think about. Infuriating.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
The analytics should work! At least statistical anomalies don’t exist.

I was okay with the kicks, because we have shown zero ability to get short yardage. Have better play calling on 1/2nd.
The problem is that the analytics show that he should have gone for it at least twice when he ran out the FG unit. He is saying the analytics supported his scared money decision - but they don't.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Our offensive woes ain't due to OL or WR. Mertz needs to do a better job pre snap but he is good enough to run the offense. Now...................as far as BN goes and whoever else is in charge of the offense, either get on the damn phone and get some advice or get SOS to help you with your passing game and I am being serious. This shyt of running into a loaded box while the D is in cover zero is incompetent and we do it on a chronic sort of basis. We have to be able to attack that..period. It will free up the running game, maybe create some big play TD's so we don't have to continue to shyt the bed in the redzone and give future opponents something to think about. Infuriating.
Difficult for me to believe we have a good shot with a certain WR who's been to our games. Staff must be telling recruits we are going to open it up, real soon. But I don't think Napier and his staff are willing to do that, and the WR deployment doesn't seem to lend to that.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015

OFF:
* OL
* OL
* RB
* WR
* TE

DEF:
* Def Coor
* DL
* Edge
* (inside) LB
* DB

It’s the old quarterback in him. He wants a hands on influence in charting the flow of the game. Often, on field leaders can’t give up the rush it brings and keep coming out of retirement to get it. BN never reached those heights as a player but has found the top tier of college ball as a coach. Combine a former qb’s competitive drive to actively lead with the ego that always accompanies the personas of head coaches, and I’m just not sure he’s gonna step away from play calling. If he does he’ll deserve props for stepping back to his HC strengths and we could really see the team improve. In the meantime, he and SOS need to start drawing up plays in the dirt asap.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Difficult for me to believe we have a good shot with a certain WR who's been to our games. Staff must be telling recruits we are going to open it up, real soon. But I don't think Napier and his staff are willing to do that, and the WR deployment doesn't seem to lend to that.
He did say that red zone issues on occasion were not just due to execution, but also “play design”.

A ray of hope we may perhaps see some adjustments…..

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
He did say that red zone issues on occasion were not just due to execution, but also “play design”.

A ray of hope we may perhaps see some adjustments…..
This offense is well known for its game-day adjustments. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.