10 worst SEC hires post Bear-Bryant

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Kiffin absolutely deserves to be on that list. He not only embarrassed the program on multiple occasions, but his "big" recruiting class was an absolute bust that set the program back several years.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;n202839 said:
Kiffin absolutely deserves to be on that list. He not only embarrassed the program on multiple occasions, but his "big" recruiting class was an absolute bust that set the program back several years.

He would argue that was because Dooley didn't develop them.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
John L Smith, the mentor of Coach Mac and Nusschamp, at #1? Seriously? 4-8 as an interim at Arky after Petrino blew up the program? Far from worst. The author must be a Piglet.

The article lacks perspective. There is a huge difference between having one winning SEC season at UF. That takes a special kind of suck. Losing at Kentucky, Ole Miss, or USC is pretty much the norm. Hell, even losing at Arky isn't that out of the ordinary.

I agree that Dooley and Chimp should be near the top.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Coach O is definitely one of the worst hires ever. On top of that hes a complete doofus. I have a freind whos a retired Mississippi HS football coach, he had a lot of big names come through his football team over the years, some of which went on to be stars in oxford and starkeville. He told me a story recently about Orgeron when he was at Ole Piss. It goes something like this...

A number of state highschool coaches and assistants, himself included, were at a summer coaching clinic in Jackson one year. They were in a classroom one morning and looking over X's and O's on an overhead projector (you remember those, they shine light through the clear plastic sheets that you write on with a dry erase marker and broadcast the image on the wall) with one of the guest speakers, a college coach. The session ends, they go on break. They come back, sit down and Ed Orgeron is introduced and walks in. He comes up to the front of the room and says that he was a "DQ" for many years and they were gonna talk about defensive alignments. He grabs a PERMANENT marker, and begins to write on the overhead glass (NO PLASTIC SHEET). One of the other coaches sees whats starting to happen and tries to intervene but Orgeron just ignores him and keeps going. By this point the class is somewhere between laughing and wondering if this guy is for real or just clowning. My friend said he draws up a couple of the most basic "hat on hat" concepts that you could imagine, the kind that you learn in pee-wee and then goes on and on about how "YOU GOTTA PUNCH UM IN DA MOOUTH!" After 20 minutes of his cajun drivel he finally starts to wrap up and repeats that he was a "DQ" for many years and if anyone ever has any questions, that they can call him up. Finally, some guy in the room raises his hand and asks him, "Coach, whats a DQ?" Orgeron looks at him like HE'S crazy and says, "Well HELL brotha, its a DEFENSIVE COOORDINATOR!!" Orgeron then takes the permanent marker and starts to write his cell phone number on the projector glass, starting with the area code first. He writes down 'XXX-XXX-XXX' and starts to walk away. Another coach speaks up and says, "But Coach O, thats only 9 digits, your missing one." Coach O turns around, looks at the number, says "Ahhh, what the hell," adds a zero to the end of the number and then walks out the door.

IQ of a turnip.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n202849 said:
Coach O is definitely one of the worst hires ever. On top of that hes a complete doofus. I have a freind whos a retired Mississippi HS football coach, he had a lot of big names come through his football team over the years, some of which went on to be stars in oxford and starkeville. He told me a story recently about Orgeron when he was at Ole Piss. It goes something like this...

A number of state highschool coaches and assistants, himself included, were at a summer coaching clinic in Jackson one year. They were in a classroom one morning and looking over X's and O's on an overhead projector (you remember those, they shine light through the clear plastic sheets that you write on with a dry erase marker and broadcast the image on the wall) with one of the guest speakers, a college coach. The session ends, they go on break. They come back, sit down and Ed Orgeron is introduced and walks in. He comes up to the front of the room and says that he was a "DQ" for many years and they were gonna talk about defensive alignments. He grabs a PERMANENT marker, and begins to write on the overhead glass (NO PLASTIC SHEET). One of the other coaches sees whats starting to happen and tries to intervene but Orgeron just ignores him and keeps going. By this point the class is somewhere between laughing and wondering if this guy is for real or just clowning. My friend said he draws up a couple of the most basic "hat on hat" concepts that you could imagine, the kind that you learn in pee-wee and then goes on and on about how "YOU GOTTA PUNCH UM IN DA MOOUTH!" After 20 minutes of his cajun drivel he finally starts to wrap up and repeats that he was a "DQ" for many years and if anyone ever has any questions, that they can call him up. Finally, some guy in the room raises his hand and asks him, "Coach, whats a DQ?" Orgeron looks at him like HE'S crazy and says, "Well HELL brotha, its a DEFENSIVE COOORDINATOR!!" Orgeron then takes the permanent marker and starts to write his cell phone number on the projector glass, starting with the area code first. He writes down 'XXX-XXX-XXX' and starts to walk away. Another coach speaks up and says, "But Coach O, thats only 9 digits, your missing one." Coach O turns around, looks at the number, says "Ahhh, what the hell," adds a zero to the end of the number and then walks out the door.

IQ of a turnip.

:lmao:

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n202848 said:
John L Smith, the mentor of Coach Mac and Nusschamp, at #1? Seriously? 4-8 as an interim at Arky after Petrino blew up the program? Far from worst. This guy must be a Piglet.

The article lacks perspective. There is a huge difference between having one winning SEC season at UF. That takes a special kind of suck. Losing at Kentucky, Ole Miss, or USC is pretty much the norm. Hell, even losing at Arky isn't that out of the ordinary.

I agree that Dooley and Chimp should be near the top.
This analysis sums it up fairly well. Losing at losing programs is not out of the norm and included should be how they recruited, (part of their job) , that would help push dawchamp higher up as he screwed up an elite school for foreseeable future.

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
I think the reason J.L. Smith was voted #1 is because of how badly he did w/a very good Arky team that was built by Petrino and then handed to him completely intact as far as coaches were concerned. He basically just had to do the press end of the business and the team would/should run itself.

Me personally, I think Orgeron should be #1. And that story above is hilarious as hell and completely believable.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n202849 said:

IQ of a turnip.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

A few lineman from my high school went to a football camp where Orgeron was one of the coaches, and they said he was insane. That story sounds pretty similar to what they used to tell us about him.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
To me, #1 is Mike Price. Gets hired at 'Bama and behaves his way to getting fired before making it out of spring practice!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
TallyGator;n203052 said:
To me, #1 is Mike Price. Gets hired at 'Bama and behaves his way to getting fired before making it out of spring practice!

Its rolling baby!!! Its rolling!!!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Jand3k;n202901 said:
I think the reason J.L. Smith was voted #1 is because of how badly he did w/a very good Arky team that was built by Petrino and then handed to him completely intact as far as coaches were concerned.
Wasn't Petrino fired DURING spring practice? That kind of thing destroys teenage boys.

We better hope that John L Smith taught Mac and Nuss something usefull. I just don't think that is close. I wouldn't even consider it a top 10. He was kinda dopey during his interviews, talking about stupid stuff constantly. Seems familiar.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Sylvester "Sly" Croom at Mississippi State was a pretty bad hire. He lost to the University of Maine at home then a few weeks later beat Ron Zook's Gators. Zook got beat by an SEC team and got fired. Will Muschamp lost to Georgia Southern and finished out the season. What does that say about how the decline in expectations?

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
So Florida has had 2 of the top 10 on its staff and the current staff was mentored by #1 on the list.

I feel much better. :fingertap:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Idk how muschamps not number1. We went from being the most dominant program in the country to getting our asses handed to us at by a division2 school at home. The fact that Jeremy Foley didnt fire him after that game was insulting enough to our program.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n203339 said:
So Florida has had 2 of the top 10 on its staff and the current staff was mentored by #1 on the list.

I feel much better. :fingertap:

Yeah, but think of all the money we saved by shopping at Big Lots!

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
That story on EO was funny. Move him to #1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator