Recruiting 2017 Football Recruiting Board

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Thanks for the link. I didn't think a program would let it's board be known necessarily, unless this is GC's construction of what they believe the board to be. So from this, I'm seeing 200+ names on the board, of which we have 3 commits and another 160+ "offered" (no distinction on the site between commitable or not). All for what, about 20 spots? 25 if we run some guys off?

Still, appreciating the link, as it shows you what the staff is looking at for our areas of need.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm assuming this is not necessarily a 100% accurate board. However, I think the offers are pretty well known to most full-time recruiting bloggers. The non-offers I'm assuming comes from reports of who they are visiting or inviting to Jr days.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Entirely too many out of state prospects on that list. I have no problem w/ out of state kids....but have a huge problem being the 5th or 6th best school from our own state recruiting Florida kids. I'd like to see us win the recruiting battles in our own state vs. going after the out of state prospects. IMO, if we finish #1 in the state of Florida, w/ a few out of state prospects sprinkled in we likely have a top 5 class every year.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I find the list deeply disappointing. The extent of recruitment of out of area players is bewildering and totally out of sync with everything Mac has said about recruiting. We might as well take out ads saying "We can't recruit our state."

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
To be fair, all 3 commits are from FL

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well, duh, maybe that is where we should be recruiting!
ever think that some of these offers are relationship offers to established programs, so in 5 yrs when they have a 5* we can be in the hunt? We'll probably have 20 or less recruits. I'd say we get 75% from FL

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Those of us who have been around for a while think that the Gators should naturally be "a destination of first choice" for in-state high school players, presumably due to our history and prominence.

That's in OUR minds.

It is unproven whether that perception/hypothesis actually holds true for 16 and 17 yrs olds, who may or may not have good recollections going back even as far as the Meyer era.

Who would have the best feel for whether that is true? The guys out in the field, trying to recruit players to come to UF. If the target list is accurate, then that's a pretty strong indictment that "the brand" has barely any power, and the recruiters don't feel they have much of a natural in-state advantage to exploit.

Sometimes, much as you don't want to, you have to re-calibrate your mindset to the new reality, if you are going to make credible plans to move forward.

It really doesn't matter where the 5- and 4-stars come from; if we have success on the field and bring in talent, the Gator brand will bounce back fast. (I'm predicting we put up at least 62 points on FSU in 2018. It will be much fun being a Gator.)

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wait, Law was right about something?

:shocked:
Alison-Brie.jpg

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Those of us who have been around for a while think that the Gators should naturally be "a destination of first choice" for in-state high school players, presumably due to our history and prominence.

That's in OUR minds.

It is unproven whether that perception/hypothesis actually holds true for 16 and 17 yrs olds, who may or may not have good recollections going back even as far as the Meyer era.

Who would have the best feel for whether that is true? The guys out in the field, trying to recruit players to come to UF. If the target list is accurate, then that's a pretty strong indictment that "the brand" has barely any power, and the recruiters don't feel they have much of a natural in-state advantage to exploit.

Sometimes, much as you don't want to, you have to re-calibrate your mindset to the new reality, if you are going to make credible plans to move forward.

It really doesn't matter where the 5- and 4-stars come from; if we have success on the field and bring in talent, the Gator brand will bounce back fast. (I'm predicting we put up at least 62 points on FSU in 2018. It will be much fun being a Gator.)
This opinion was my opinion before I read the depth. I was delighted that Mac saved our recruiting last year by going out of state. But that list was ridiculous! Go read it. Mac clearly outlined our recruiting area. This list is admission that we cannot recruit our area as he defined it.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This opinion was my opinion before I read the depth. I was delighted that Mac saved our recruiting last year by going out of state. But that list was ridiculous! Go read it. Mac clearly outlined our recruiting area. This list is admission that we cannot recruit our area as he defined it.
Are you including the Southern Ga kids in your analysis, because they are a defined part of our territory

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Are you including the Southern Ga kids in your analysis, because they are a defined part of our territory
Yes. I include them because Mac included them. And there is nothing wrong with an occasional AL, LA, VA, or even DC, NY, or Cally recruit. But look at the numbers. They are absurd. I am hoping that there is something wrong with that list.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Yes. I include them because Mac included them. And there is nothing wrong with an occasional AL, LA, VA, or even DC, NY, or Cally recruit. But look at the numbers. They are absurd. I am hoping that there is something wrong with that list.

I thought the same when I looked at it but didn't want to be the first to say it.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There is nothing wrong with throwing around offers to keep are name around other places, but again, I think we'll end up with the vast majority from our home territory

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014

I just don't follow recruiting closely enough to know if that recruiting list is what you'd expect in 2016 for a Top 10 (aspiring) team, or a sign of trouble.

It very clearly shows that "offers" cannot be "committable offers" ... they apparently don't mean a whole lot more than a 2nd grader's valentine's day cards to everyone in the class. Basically means "just wanted to let you know, we are interested in you."

Here's a summary. It *IS* interesting. 40% of the kids on the list are from Florida, but only 30% of the offers-to-date are to Florida kids. We have 164 offers out already to the class of 2017.

upload_2016-3-31_0-15-13.png

Last edited:

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
"offers" cannot be "committable offers" ... they apparently don't mean a whole lot more than a 2nd grader's valentine's day cards to everyone in the class. Basically means "just wanted to let you know, we are interested in you."

/QUOTE]
:lmao:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I just don't follow recruiting closely enough to know if that recruiting list is what you'd expect in 2016 for a Top 10 (aspiring) team, or a sign of trouble.

It very clearly shows that "offers" cannot be "committable offers" ... they apparently don't mean a whole lot more than a 2nd grader's valentine's day cards to everyone in the class. Basically means "just wanted to let you know, we are interested in you."

Here's a summary. It *IS* interesting. 40% of the kids on the list are from Florida, but only 30% of the offers-to-date are to Florida kids. We have 164 offers out already to the class of 2017.

View attachment 2879

Good post and nice breakdown. It's troubling that we've only offered about 50 Florida HS football players....and 110 out of state. WTF? We only signed 4 of the top 60 (or so) Florida HS kids last year. We got out-recruited in our own state by SEVERAL out of state schools. I can accept FSU and/or Miami occasionally beating us in Florida...but 4 of the top 60? That's pathetic. That's UCF'esque...on a good year. I know we are expecting a smaller class, but why so few Florida kids?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator