2017 PF Chase Johnson commits to UF

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
From the _Sun_

"Florida has added some size to its 2017 basketball recruiting class.

Chase Johnson, a 6-foot-8, 205-pound class of 2017 power forward committed to the Gators on Monday."

A bit out of the blue to me.

Last edited:

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
From the _Sun_

"Florida has added some size to its 2017 basketball recruiting class.

Chase Johnson, a 6-foot-8, 205-pound class of 2017 power forward committed to the Gators on Monday."

A bit out of the blue to me.
Well, talking about BB might be better than dwelling on all the football injuries and lack of offense.
I've had a hard time finding much on Johnson. Seems like most of the Rivals stuff is protected content. 247 has him as a 3* and #110 player nationally; not too bad, but was hoping for a higher rated and bigger recruit to be added to the 2017 class. He had some decent offers (WVU, Zona, Tenn, Virginia, Vandy, Richmond and Butler) and it appears we beat out Huggins at WVU for his services. Kid probably just wants out of WV and UF probably looks real nice.
Here's a link from Future 150 - https://future150.com/hs/basketball-profiles/chase-johnson-pf-ripley-wv-2017
Pretty much says he's an inside guy, good touch on the inside, good offensive rebounder and can sky (not bad for a white boy) - but he is not stretch-4 in the vain of Parsons or Murph1. Needs to put on some weight if he's gonna be bangin' underneath.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
30 pounds and he'll be good to for a 4 in college. He might need a redshirt but we could be thin at the forward spots next year. But he had a lot of offers from some good basketball schools. Maybe White sees him as a 3?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Wvu and Virginia wanted and he plays for Huntington prep. It's all I could really find on him. Doesn't sound too bad. Huntington prep is as good as it gets.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This should be in the lounge...

We only play football at F-L-O-R-I-D-A

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I can't determine if I should be happy or not without knowing how many stars he has...

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Don't know anything about this kid but I am excited about the size that he brings. We have really been missing size in the program.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wvu and Virginia wanted and he plays for Huntington prep. It's all I could really find on him. Doesn't sound too bad. Huntington prep is as good as it gets.
He just transferred to Huntington Prep over the Summer - let's see if he can average 17 pts and 8 Rebs per game at HP. I'm hoping he's still growing and can reach 6'9" or 6'10". He's a 3*, but he had some good offers and if he can produce at HP like he did for his last HS, he'll get bumped to a 4*. These kids can sign their LOI in mid-November, so he might not get a bump up until after he signs.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He just transferred to Huntington Prep over the Summer - let's see if he can average 17 pts and 8 Rebs per game at HP. I'm hoping he's still growing and can reach 6'9" or 6'10". He's a 3*, but he had some good offers and if he can produce at HP like he did for his last HS, he'll get bumped to a 4*. These kids can sign their LOI in mid-November, so he might not get a bump up until after he signs.
I seen that he had an offer from zona too.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

Deng Gak is in town this weekend. He would certainly add some height to the program. KU is the favorite these days, but maybe UF can get him.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Yeah, I don't see CJ being the ball handler/driver that CP was. CP was a solid 3-man, and rarely played the stretch-4, if at all. CJ is a 4, and If his old HS coach is right in that he's improving his outside shot, then maybe he can turn into a stretch-4.

I have no idea what kind of player he will develop into. My point is that Parson was a very highly ranked recruit, not the under the radar recruit Brockway claimed he was. Parsons was not under the radar except to people who imagined that Calathes was a sure thing and Parsons the 39th ranked player in the the country was a throw in or package deal.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I hear he's a Big Johnson!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.