Recruiting 2019 NSD: 4* DE Khris Bogle and 4* CB Elam signs

CHAMPIONSHIP: If you were forced to have dinner with one of these members, who would you choose?

• Swamp Donkey

• Swamp Queen

• Durty South Swamp

• dubster1

• BNAG8R

Results are only viewable after voting.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
He was that special. It's like saying we need to find another Tebow. It also puts pressure on kids who are nowhere near that status.
Do you say that because Percy type players are few and far between or as an indictment of our program?

Percy was a special athlete but someone needs to eventually fill the role he left vacant about ten years ago.

leogator

May 5, 2018
All of CFB hasn't had a Percy Harven for 10 years, but plenty have schemed players that way with them becoming stars that highlight the game. Shouldn't we do that with Toney or another shifty speedster. Wish we had signed that track-star footballer who wound up going to Tennessee.
Harvin was a special talent that was fast and quick and could change direction without slowing down. He was a football player first and foremost, not a track athlete trying to play football. Demps was very speedy being a tack star but even he could not be compared to Harvin. But the whole thing that makes Mullen's offense go is good decision by the QB, and the offensive line. Alex Smith was no Tebow but he knew when to hand off and when to keep. The RBs they had at Utah were no speedsters or Harvins. They were all good size RBs. The offensive line was very solid although unspectacular. The offensive line does not need to be all 5* since it really does not require superior talent. Lot's of trapping, double teaming at the point of attack, pulling etc. The aim is to prevent penetration into the backfield rather than overwhelming your man. It is supposed to create creases.

Last edited:

leogator

May 5, 2018
Curtis Samuel was timed at 4.31secs in the 40 at the NFL combine. That is stratospheric! That kind of speed does not come around very often. He already had the moves as a running back. Maybe the WR at MSU just had the speed but not the moves.

Here is an article on some of the offensive concepts of the Mullen MSU offense:

How Mississippi State makes you wrong

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
He was that special. It's like saying we need to find another Tebow. It also puts pressure on kids who are nowhere near that status.

I agree he was that special but you don’t know the kid I referred to if you think he feels any pressure to BE Percy. He barely knows who he is. Trust me the kid will light it up in college....unfortunately most likely for the Canes.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I ask because I think that while his recruiting isn’t to Florida standards, it is exceeding what he did at MSU, by a far amount. And its averaging near Champ and above Butters. I think it’s safe to assume that being in the weaker division with better personnel should yield more consistent, potentially better results. Find that to be positive, from a quality perspective.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Curtis Samuel was timed at 4.31secs in the 40 at the NFL combine. That is stratospheric! That kind of speed does not come around very often. He already had the moves as a running back. Maybe the WR at MSU just had the speed but not the moves.

Here is an article on some of the offensive concepts of the Mullen MSU offense:

How Mississippi State makes you wrong
I know the article is dated, but still a good read. It's gonna be a little more fun in a couple of years when we have an experienced fit at QB.

leogator

May 5, 2018
I know the article is dated, but still a good read. It's gonna be a little more fun in a couple of years when we have an experienced fit at QB.
I do think that it will be a lot more fun when everybody knows the playbook inside and out so they don't have to think, just execute!

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
I never thought of Percy as shifty. Mind numbingly fast, yes! I have never seen speed like that in college. He often looked like he was jogging. I would yell at the TV "why the hell aren't you running?!?!?!?" while he was outrunning everyone else on the field!! So damn effortless.

He could also cut about 45 degrees and not seem to slow down a lick. Freak footballer. Don't know if I will ever see that again. Glad to see him back at UF getting his degree. One of my all time favorite players.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018

A third certainty, behind death and taxes, is that Franks cannot run that offense.

leogator

May 5, 2018
I never thought of Percy as shifty. Mind numbingly fast, yes! I have never seen speed like that in college. He often looked like he was jogging. I would yell at the TV "why the hell aren't you running?!?!?!?" while he was outrunning everyone else on the field!! So damn effortless.

He could also cut about 45 degrees and not seem to slow down a lick. Freak footballer. Don't know if I will ever see that again. Glad to see him back at UF getting his degree. One of my all time favorite players.
He was not shifty in the classical sense of giving 3-4 jukes. He was one slight juke at top speed and he was gone. The fact that he you juke you without slowing down is what made him unique.

Look at the first play and tell me he's not shifty.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Curtis Samuel was timed at 4.31secs in the 40 at the NFL

I remember Ricky Nattiel ran a 4.23 40. They were hand timed back then, so that's close ... could have been a fraction faster or slower. Bo Jackson ran 4.12 - 40. We sure could use a footfall minded burner now. Percy made opponents look like slow motion. Watching, I never could visually get use to thinking DBs had the angle on him just to see them cross his path 4 yards behind him.

leogator

May 5, 2018
I remember Ricky Nattiel ran a 4.23 40. They were hand timed back then, so that's close ... could have been a fraction faster or slower. Bo Jackson ran 4.12 - 40. We sure could use a footfall minded burner now. Percy made opponents look like slow motion. Watching, I never could visually get use to thinking DBs had the angle on him just to see them cross his path 4 yards behind him.
Harvin was fast, 4.41 in the 40 at the NFL combine. But not exceptionally fast like these other NFLers. But for college he was very fast.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
effortless.

This. Effortless and fluid.

The only other player I can think of who looked similar was J Gaffney, but Percy had that extra gear that blows pretty much everyone else away.

I should mention Wes Chandler, but I didn’t get to witness him in person (just before my time) and those old films don’t do him justice, especially for comparison’s sake. I have vague memories of watching replays as a young kid after his draft and was just blown away by what he did on the field. He made one handed catches before it was common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.