Recruiting 2019 NSD: 4* DE Khris Bogle and 4* CB Elam signs

CHAMPIONSHIP: If you were forced to have dinner with one of these members, who would you choose?

• Swamp Donkey

• Swamp Queen

• Durty South Swamp

• dubster1

• BNAG8R

Results are only viewable after voting.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. These stats try to drum up the “stars dont matter” debate but they do.
Yeah, it proves exactly the opposite.

Now some of these kids get drafted on athleticism and not game tape but in general it has some relationship to production. The All American and All Conference percentages are close the the same for the bluechippers.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not really. 247 has 32 5 stars, and over 300 4 stars, and even more 3 stars. Its just a numbers game more than anything. At the end of the day every draft has around 64 draft eligible 5 stars. Not every one declares obviously and a few wash out because of injuries or ineffectiveness. These stats try to drum up the “stars dont matter” debate but they do.
last i ever saw there is around 1.1 million high school football players in the United states so if that's an even split among the 4 classes that's roughly 275k players per class and of that there is only about 30-40 5* per year depending on site or composite rating...that's pretty good odds that stars matter. OR you could just look at the teams that win on the field consistently and their recruiting ranking to realize stars matter...they matter A LOT. Individually they do not matter but as a collective they obviously do.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finally back from the sh*t-show in Key West!

Lots of recruiting news....at other schools. A few of the Grayson HS (GA) kids committed:

Alabama: 4-star 2019 DE Kevin Harris announced he was committing to the Crimson Tide over Miami and Florida State.

Tennessee: 5-star OL Wanya Morris commits.

Auburn: 5-star LB Owen Pappoe commits, nations #1 OLB prospect.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
last i ever saw there is around 1.1 million high school football players in the United states so if that's an even split among.
It isnt evenly split. Probably 1% get rated at all.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I understand what you said but out of the 1.1 million HS kids, 99% dont earn a star at all. There are thousands that get rated but the number is a few thousands not a hundred thousand and certainly not a million.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Kind of sad to see........

Sssshhh...

We got a commitment from Tyron Hopper! What more do you guys want?

Our program is broken…(Tennessee’s is not?)

It’s all about coaching!

Am I hitting on the majority of excuses?

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I really don’t understand why we are having such a hard time sellIng guys on coming here. Tennessee is just as broke, if not more. I like a lot of what Mullen has been doing but getting rid of Jujuan Seider for a significant downgrade in Knox might be his downfall. What is it with these HCs and dragging along these underperforming coordinators?

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sssshhh...

We got a commitment from Tyron Hopper! What more do you guys want?

Our program is broken…(Tennessee’s is not?)

It’s all about coaching!

Am I hitting on the majority of excuses?

You missed: Mullen pushed out our best recruiter to hire his buddy from MSU.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I really don’t understand why we are having such a hard time sellIng guys on coming here. Tennessee is just as broke, if not more. I like a lot of what Mullen has been doing but getting rid of Jujuan Seider for a significant downgrade in Knox might be his downfall. What is it with these HCs and dragging along these underperforming coordinators?

I don't get it either. The state of Miss is loaded w/ talent this year....and the "relationships" Mullen & staff built there would logically land us a couple of those guys...but, nope. We're in it for only 1 player, and he seems like LSU, Alabama, or one of the Miss schools bound. Pruitt is certainly using his time at Alabama and the relationships he built while coaching there and at UGA & FSU. Why can't our staff use their 'relationships'? I think it's because Pruitt is used to recruiting blue-chippers and Mullen is used to getting rejected by blue-chippers (think about it: Pruitt's last 4 stops have been: Alabama, FSU, UGA, and Alabama - all he talks to is blue-chip recruits). Mullen has certainly made blue-chip offers, but he's not getting them to say yes.

Getting rid of Seider certainly didn't help us. This staff needs to turn it around on the trail asap. The camps are coming up in June, if we whiff at the camps (like we did at the O&B game weekend) it'll be a really bad sign. We need 12 or more commits going into the fall....and we need 18-20 to sign in December or we're behind again. UGA spent January working on 2 or 3 more commits while putting most of their efforts into the following year's class. We need to be in that boat vs. working hard to fill the current class in January.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
giphy.gif

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017
I'll start to worry if we whiff at camps this summer or bring in Jammal Abrams type players. Unlike Mac, Mullen is going after blue chip players. The problem is we aren't landing them. At least not yet.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Getting rid of Seider certainly didn't help us.

I understand the importance of chemistry among the coaching staff, but letting go of our best recruiter and position coach didn’t give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I understand the importance of chemistry among the coaching staff, but letting go of our best recruiter and position coach didn’t give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

I agree. He should have diversified his staff more (w/ more non-MSU coaches). Look at Meyer's Ohio State staff's; he's not had a single coach who coached w/ him at UF on any of those staffs. Saban brings in coaches constantly that he's never worked with, mostly for 'fresh' ideas (or he promotes an "analyst" who knows the system). The staff is certainly underwhelming, but it's not unusual for a new head coach to do this. On the flip side, McElwain brought one coach w/ him (Skipper)? And look how that worked out....

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Feels like a psy-op right out of the Russian bot playbook doesn't it?

Things that make you go hmmmm...

I'm not gonna judge tho. Mullen is the guy who'll persuade me where we're headed over the next nine months, not some Nole troll or debbie downer claiming to dwell in realville. I'm perfectly capable of generating my own loathing when necessary!

Mullen gets 8 or 9 wins and a top 8 class then I'd say things are looking up. Gotta wait and see if he gets trey sanders. They're trying to make that kid the centerpiece of the class.

Good post, except for the underlined/bold part. I'm doubtful we even get inside the top 12 and it's not necessarily a bad thing (this was discussed earlier in this thread, but I'll try to cliffs notes it):

We are currently ranked 20th on rivals:

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2019/all-teams/football

- We already know that Alabama, UGA, Ohio State, and Clemson are likely top 10 (mostly top 5).
- FSU and Miami are very likely ahead of us (this is 6 spots).
- ND is having a good year and could end up in the top 10.
- Jimbo is at Texas A&M now (definitely a top 10 class coming w/ 6 4-stars already)
- You have traditional powers like Oklahoma (current #1 class), LSU (12th), Auburn (16th w/ only 6 commits), and Michigan, Texas and a few others all ahead of us already.

So, for us to move from 20th ahead of 12 of those schools to finish 8th is a pretty big push. There are at least three teams behind us that could also make a big move; Southern Cal, Tennessee, and Penn State (plus Washington). I can see us passing Ole Miss, Miss State, South Carolina (hopefully, at least), along w/ TCU, Wisconsin & Michigan State. Realistically, passing 8 schools and getting into the top 12 is a pretty big accomplishment. Chances are one or two schools pass us and we pass 5 or 6 and end up w/ a top 15 class.

Disappointing, I know. But realistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.