Gator Baseball 2021 Gators Baseball Season

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Gotta think Leiter and Rocker is just a matter is just a matter of time? Not going to improve your draft position.

I think Hickey's only leverage is his bat and that he can still return to college. His glove skills are no leverage. If he returned to UF we would be set at DH with a Hickey/Armstrong combo, LOL

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Gotta think Leiter and Rocker is just a matter is just a matter of time? Not going to improve your draft position.

I think Hickey's only leverage is his bat and that he can still return to college. His glove skills are no leverage. If he returned to UF we would be set at DH with a Hickey/Armstrong combo, LOL

Hickey was good as some and better than most at 3rd base at the end of last year. Maybe he is using the draft as leverage to negotiate with Sully to play third and avoid the beating he got behind the plate. I just hope Rivera learns how to make an accurate throw to first base this summer. He was recently named a Cape League All Star. He was drafted (round 22 pick 653) by the Padres in 2019 as a 3rd baseman. For some reason unknown to me a lot of publicity on this kid make him sound like Ozzie Smith

Rivera Named 2021 Cape League All-Star - Florida Gators

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
It was me. His name is Andrew Painter, he's the GS of a friend of mine. I haven't heard from her other than a "woo hoo" text on draft day. I'm totally not a baseball fan, and have no idea what this means. I know he had committed to us, pre-draft, but with numbers like that (from the "bonus" link).....doubt we'll ever see him play for us. What, exactly does this bonus mean? Srsly, I know ZIP about BB. Thanks, hanging up and listening now.

In baseball, after you get drafted, the team that picked you will try to get you to sign a contract with them. Generally, if you aren't happy with it, you have the option to go back to college. Painter was happy enough with it and signed a contract for 3.9 million. Not sure of the details of signing bonus and how many years and all for his contract but he will not be a Gator since he signed it, unfortunately for us!

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
In baseball, after you get drafted, the team that picked you will try to get you to sign a contract with them. Generally, if you aren't happy with it, you have the option to go back to college. Painter was happy enough with it and signed a contract for 3.9 million. Not sure of the details of signing bonus and how many years and all for his contract but he will not be a Gator since he signed it, unfortunately for us!

I have to think most 18 year olds would be happy being a 1st round selection and 4 LARGE?????

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I have to think most 18 year olds would be happy being a 1st round selection and 4 LARGE?????

Where else can someone make a multimillion dollar payday in an apprentice / internship position right out of high school? Or right out of college?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Hickey was good as some and better than most at 3rd base at the end of last year. Maybe he is using the draft as leverage to negotiate with Sully to play third and avoid the beating he got behind the plate. I just hope Rivera learns how to make an accurate throw to first base this summer. He was recently named a Cape League All Star. He was drafted (round 22 pick 653) by the Padres in 2019 as a 3rd baseman. For some reason unknown to me a lot of publicity on this kid make him sound like Ozzie Smith

Rivera Named 2021 Cape League All-Star - Florida Gators

Perhaps, but as much as you and I criticize Sully, I do not think Hickey has any leverage with Sully as a catcher. I think Sully, as a former catcher, has seen enough of Hickey behind the plate to know he ain't got it. As for Rivera, perhaps the light has come on as he was held up to be a very good defender coming out of HS.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Perhaps, but as much as you and I criticize Sully, I do not think Hickey has any leverage with Sully as a catcher. I think Sully, as a former catcher, has seen enough of Hickey behind the plate to know he ain't got it. As for Rivera, perhaps the light has come on as he was held up to be a very good defender coming out of HS.

I figured Hickey might try to negotiate with sully to stop catching so he could stay at 3rd. Either way, Hickey probably expects another year will improve his draft pick and paycheck

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
DRAFT STATUS AS OF 7/28 AM with round, selection # if drafted and $ amount if signed.

1. Fabian 2/40
2. Mace 2/69 $1,100,000
3. Hickey 5/136
4. Scott 5/142 $350,000
5. Young 7/203 $275,000
6. Leftwich 7/216 $167,000
7. Aleman 10/306 $175,000

1. Painter 1/13 $3,900,000
2. Allen 1/30 $2,397,500
3. Petty 1/26 $2,500,000
4. Neely 5 star RHP
5. ABNER 5 STAR LHP
6. D. FABIAN 5 STAR INF
7. ROBERTSON 4 STAR OF
8. HARTMAN 4 STAR RHP
9. CAGLIANONE 4 STAR INF
10. LASTRES 4 STAR C
11. ROBINSON 4 STAR OF
12. DE GOTI 4 STAR INF
13. URSITTI 4 STAR RHP
14. PREVESK 4 STAR RHP
15. EVANS 20/607 3 STAR OF
16. FOX 3/95 3 STAR SS $850,000
17. SLOAN 3 STAR RHP
18. DIAZ 3 STAR INF
19. Finnvold 3 STAR LHP

Link to list of Gator signees 2021 Florida Baseball Commit List - SEC Football, Basketball and Baseball Recruiting news and analysis

Link to draft status info MLB Draft Database

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Great find @Bullag8r. I was perusing the 2nd round selections and the six that inked deals for 2M+ signing bonus were all high school selections. The highest bonus given to a college selection was 1.75M to a LHP drafted at #45. The player selected right below Fabian was a college 2B and got a 1.7M bonus.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Great find @Bullag8r. I was perusing the 2nd round selections and the six that inked deals for 2M+ signing bonus were all high school selections. The highest bonus given to a college selection was 1.75M to a LHP drafted at #45. The player selected right below Fabian was a college 2B and got a 1.7M bonus.

Do you expect Leiter and Rocker to sign? Leiter (2nd pick) was listed as a sophomore this year and Rocker (10th pick) was listed as a Junior. I figured the team would have known the magic number before using such a high draft pick. Overall, 30 of 36 first rounders have signed.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Do you expect Leiter and Rocker to sign? Leiter (2nd pick) was listed as a sophomore this year and Rocker (10th pick) was listed as a Junior. I figured the team would have known the magic number before using such a high draft pick. Overall, 30 of 36 first rounders have signed.

The short answer is YES. Both have eligibility remaining, but how can you improve on being the 2nd and 10th overall pick vs. the risk. Now if they feel they are not being fairly compensated, then maybe that is something, and although neither family needs the money, the risk is too great. And if they prove themselves, they will more than make up for it when they sign their next contract.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
The short answer is YES. Both have eligibility remaining, but how can you improve on being the 2nd and 10th overall pick vs. the risk. Now if they feel they are not being fairly compensated, then maybe that is something, and although neither family needs the money, the risk is too great. And if they prove themselves, they will more than make up for it when they sign their next contract.

No body I can remember has improved on a 2 or a10 draft slot. Since neither of them needs the money maybe they really, really, really want to win a natty but that seems extremely sophomoric for a couple of guys with a bright future in the big leagues.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Leiter signs for $7,922,000. Highest payday in the 2021 draft so far

Wow. That must have been quite a nail biting decision, LOL. 8 LARGE if I sign my name or go back to college?? Let me sleep on that one.

Meanwhile, since this is an O&B site, would that not make Fabian worth at least half that. After all he homered twice if memory serves me off Leiter in one game this year. :lmao2:

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Wow. That must have been quite a nail biting decision, LOL. 8 LARGE if I sign my name or go back to college?? Let me sleep on that one.

Meanwhile, since this is an O&B site, would that not make Fabian worth at least half that. After all he homered twice if memory serves me off Leiter in one game this year. :lmao2:

Nothing against Leiter. He is a very good pitcher but I think I have seen better. Granted, I am not a pro scout. That number is surprising given his ERA and who he lost to. Fabian hit 2 dingers and Mullen hit one against him in that game. Fabian would have been picked higher and offered nearly that much had he not been chasing the strikeout title last year.

What are the chances that Leiter's selection and bonus was influenced by his father's relationship with somebody in the Rangers front office?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Nothing against Leiter. He is a very good pitcher but I think I have seen better. Granted, I am not a pro scout. That number is surprising given his ERA and who he lost to. Fabian hit 2 dingers and Mullen hit one against him in that game. Fabian would have been picked higher and offered nearly that much had he not been chasing the strikeout title last year.

What are the chances that Leiter's selection and bonus was influenced by his father's relationship with somebody in the Rangers front office?

Have no idea the circumstances but dude got paid. Perhaps they paid hardball, no pun intended, and basically wanted almost all of their money in signing bonus. All that does is take away from signing other draft picks, but maybe they see Leiter as their long term guy. The night I saw him he did not have his best stuff but you could see he was good, like he showed in the CWS. He might not have been Strasburg or Prior in college but he was damn good for a guy who has pitched about 1 season in college

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
According to the Gville Sun Fabian announced that he will return to play Gator Baseball

Jud Fabian announces his return to Florida Gators baseball team

The same article says Hickey has signed a contract with Boston. The Baseball America site doesn't confirm it but a MLB writer reports that Hickey signed a deal for one million which is tied for the highest bonus in rounds 4-10. The writer says that the slot value for the 136th pick is $410,000.

Red Sox sign fifth-round pick Nathan Hickey for $1 million, per report

Last edited:

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
Wow. Good for hickey signing a contract for that much. I think he has all the tools to be a solid hitter in MLB. I'm sure the people drafted around his spot are looking at that contract he signed with bug-eyes and regret.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
So I just read on the BSPN scroll that the Mets do NOT intend to sign Kumar Rocker. It then said that Rocker's camp insists he is healthy. If that is the case, would Rocker return to Vandy or go play pro baseball with say an independent minor league team like the St. Paul Saints? This is the kind of guy Mike Veeck would love to sign, assuming he still owns the team.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.