Gator Baseball 2022 Gator Baseball

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Our hitting has always been ass but pitching kept sully getting paid and winning. Now our pitching is ass and looks alot like our hitting. What am I missing?

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
Plain and simple….our pitching is Barco, Purnell and Ficcorota….that’s it

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Getting swept by UGA is about all she wrote for Sully. More and more fans will turn on Sully and demand a change just like with Mullen and MW. The year the Big 3 changed head coaches.

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
i just saw the damndest thing. Bama just bunted the leadoff and next batter, both safe and runners on the corners now with no outs. I guess the analytics on that say they only get 1 run. Lets see how that works out. So far they have scored 1, runners still on the corners and no outs.

Holy shyt, they bunted again. 1 out now with runners on 2nd and 3rd. Walk...bases loaded, 1 out. base hit and they just put up a crooked no. Bases still loaded. Base hit, 3 scored still loaded and 1 out still. And how did they get to this situation? And they just scored another, 4 total.

Funny, I saw the nulls bunt 1st and 2nd with none out Tuesday night and end up with one run. 1 total.

Then today, UF put up a 5-spot in an inning with zero bunt attempts. 5 total. Is crookeder a word?

And to cap it off, unfortunately, the dwags put runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs, didn't bunt, then proceeded to put up an 8-spot. 8 total. Crookedest?

Keep up the great work!

Last edited:

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Getting swept by UGA is about all she wrote for Sully. More and more fans will turn on Sully and demand a change just like with Mullen and MW. The year the Big 3 changed head coaches.

Sully isn't going anywhere right now. MW had 6 years (minus the elite 8 season) of unwatchable product which, ultimately, is what (IMO) got him fired. He won enough that he'd still be at UF if not for his Muschampian offense.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
The next 3 weekends include 2nd ranked Arkansas, 9th ranked Vandy and top ranked Tennessee. It's only getting uglier.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Funny, I saw the nulls bunt 1st and 2nd with none out Tuesday night and end up with one run. 1 total.

Then today, UF put up a 5-spot in an inning with zero bunt attempts. 5 total. Is crookeder a word?

And to cap it off, unfortunately, the dwags put runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs, didn't bunt, then proceeded to put up an 8-spot. 8 total. Crookedest?

Keep up the great work!
Sounds like the pitching sucked in which case analytics don't mean shyt.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Could it be that we have players that are not as good as need be.? especially pitchers.?

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Yes, context helps see the challenge. 19 total pitchers on the team. Only 10 have thrown more than 9 innings to date. The breakdown by class is 1- Graduate, 1- Jr., 4- soph., 13- freshmen. At least 5 are returning from arm injuries.

3 are consistently dependable, Barco (rso), Slater (rf), Purnell (rf). The other 7 have been inconsistent especially in placing pitches correctly in strike zone, at times they can't find the strike zone.
So yeah, youth, inexperience and inconsistency give us what we have until they grow into a Barco, Singer, Byrne, Faedo or AJ Puk. Sully has a history of developing good to great pitching staff's. Time will tell.
just a bump since we are asking the same question about pitching. Youth and inexperience go hand in hand!

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
Sounds like the pitching sucked in which case analytics don't mean shyt.

One, the first two batters bunted for hits, they didn't give up an out (at no time have I said bunting for a hit was bad). Two, how exactly do you end up with runners on the corners and a run in on two bunts? Oh yeah, because you neglected to mention there was an error on the first bunt that allowed him to go to 2nd, and then another error on a potential double play ball that allowed the run to score once runners were on first and third. So it wasn't so much bunting as it was bad defense, correct? Analytics don't mean schyt when the defense sucks, right? But it gets better. A&M's pitcher walked the next Bama hitter (unintentional), and followed it up by allowing two singles. Analytics don't mean schyt when pitching sucks, correct? So in summary, only 2 of the 4 runs were earned, and only one of them came after Bama sacrificed runners to 2nd and 3rd with no one out. Once again, thanks for proving my point!

The next time you want to omit key facts to try to make a point, make sure I can't find the box score.

Keep up the great work!!!

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Looks like not renewing your season tix this year turned out to be quite a cost effective decision.

Ticket cost is minor in comparison to the aggravation and frustration of watching them in person, not to mention the cost of burning gas to and from Ocala.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
When did SAS start posting again?

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
One, the first two batters bunted for hits, they didn't give up an out (at no time have I said bunting for a hit was bad). Two, how exactly do you end up with runners on the corners and a run in on two bunts? Oh yeah, because you neglected to mention there was an error on the first bunt that allowed him to go to 2nd, and then another error on a potential double play ball that allowed the run to score once runners were on first and third. So it wasn't so much bunting as it was bad defense, correct? Analytics don't mean schyt when the defense sucks, right? But it gets better. A&M's pitcher walked the next Bama hitter (unintentional), and followed it up by allowing two singles. Analytics don't mean schyt when pitching sucks, correct? So in summary, only 2 of the 4 runs were earned, and only one of them came after Bama sacrificed runners to 2nd and 3rd with no one out. Once again, thanks for proving my point!

The next time you want to omit key facts to try to make a point, make sure I can't find the box score.

Keep up the great work!!!
Yeah there was an error, remember that little bit I mentioned about putting pressure on the defense to make a play? Catching routine fly balls at the warning track a bit easier than screaming in from 3rd on a bunt on the line and throwing a guys out that is maybe sub 4 sec to 1st. I didn't omit anything, I made the point with you a week ago how bunting puts pressure on defense, how having a runner on 3rd puts pressure on pitching. I have to spell everything out for you? The only point that's been proven is that analytics don't tell the whole story and that small ball can still be very effective, particularly when teams are clearly unprepared for it. Another point I made about bunting that A&M proved for me.

You should talk to UNC this morning about analytics. At the half there win probability was 81%. But then again Kansas decided to play defense.

Last edited:

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Yeah there was an error, remember that little bit I mentioned about putting pressure on the defense to make a play? Catching routine fly balls at the warning track a bit easier than screaming in from 3rd on a bunt on the line and throwing a guys out that is maybe sub 4 sec to 1st. I didn't omit anything, I made the point with you a week ago how bunting puts pressure on defense, how having a runner on 3rd puts pressure on pitching. I have to spell everything out for you? The only point that's been proven is that analytics don't tell the whole story and that small ball can still be very effective, particularly when teams are clearly unprepared for it. Another point I made about bunting that A&M proved for me.

You should talk to UNC this morning about analytics. At the half there win probability was 81%. But then again Kansas decided to play defense.
I coached HS ball in WNC for five years and with only a 2 year exception small ball was our only game as we didn't have the launch boys yet! We worked tirelessly on bunting, both for sacrifice and for hits. That coupled with the philosophy of hard hit ground balls were better than routine fly outs. At our small country school you had to explain everything again and again to drill it into their heads. The conversation about why a ground ball was better than a fly ball was simple. How many events must occur to get a batter out after hitting a fly ball? One! catch it! OK, how many events must occur to get a batter out after hitting a ground ball? Let's count, fielder must catch the ball cleanly, set his feet during transfer, transfer the ball glove to hand, throw a strike to the appropriate base, fielder must catch thrown ball, apply tag or have foot on base for a force. Answer 6 or more events have to occur every time. Which option gives us the best chance to get and move runners? Anyne who answer #1 moved to the end of the bench!

The last two years we had a very skilled team that had about five who could go deep but also knew how to put it in play. Won the conference those two years!

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017

Do I really have to once again list all of the times I've said small ball can be effective. Indeed, you're the only one that's advocated for only one style of play.... You can ignore those facts all you like, but it won't make them go away.

A&M didn't prove anything. They made an error on a bunt that inning, but they also made an error on a ground ball and on a throw after a fly ball. Using your logic, that must mean they were unprepared for a ground ball or throwing a ball after a fly ball, right. Bad defense doesn't only happen when people bunt, genius. The applicable part of your example is with runners on 1st and 2nd, a sacrifice bunt led to 1 earned run. Under that exact scenario, the nulls scored 1 run against us earlier in the week, while the dwags, who didn't sacrifice, put up an 8 spot, all of which came after two outs. Hint: if Anderson, the hitter up with runners on 1st and 2nd, had sacrificed instead of hitting a single, the subsequent K and pop up from the next two batters would've led to no runs that inning!!!

Keep up the great work, you're on a roll.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Do I really have to once again list all of the times I've said small ball can be effective. Indeed, you're the only one that's advocated for only one style of play.... You can ignore those facts all you like, but it won't make them go away.

A&M didn't prove anything. They made an error on a bunt that inning, but they also made an error on a ground ball and on a throw after a fly ball. Using your logic, that must mean they were unprepared for a ground ball or throwing a ball after a fly ball, right. Bad defense doesn't only happen when people bunt, genius. The applicable part of your example is with runners on 1st and 2nd, a sacrifice bunt led to 1 earned run. Under that exact scenario, the nulls scored 1 run against us earlier in the week, while the dwags, who didn't sacrifice, put up an 8 spot, all of which came after two outs. Hint: if Anderson, the hitter up with runners on 1st and 2nd, had sacrificed instead of hitting a single, the subsequent K and pop up from the next two batters would've led to no runs that inning!!!

Keep up the great work, you're on a roll.
I have not advocated for one style of play. That's just BS. But I'd prefer a team that can adapt and play according to the needs of the situation. If a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his arse. You don't know that Anderson would have gotten out.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Boy! I previously enjoyed baseball.
Kidding aside, these Gators seem poised to achieve a very disappointing baseball season -- disappointing themselves more than anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.