Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen just making sure the next guy fails miserably in the first few years. Looks like we are going to go from the lost decade to the lost quarter century.
It became the LOST DECADES the second Mullinz was hired.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This would be a huge change - especially for Alabama, UGA, OSU, Clemson and all the other big-boy recruiters:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nothing in this op-ed that hasn't been stated in this forum a million times already. But, well articulated article on the issues with OL recruiting and Mullen's failure to fix the recurring problem:

John Hevesy’s recruiting problems highlight Dan Mullen’s biggest flaw
"I don’t like to write, or, frankly, read articles that only serve the purpose of calling sports professionals bad at their job. Even the worst coaches and managers are usually vastly more well-versed in their respective sport than the author who decides to take potshots at them."

Here is the thing, it's fair to criticize millionaire professionals. And one can also criticize the obvious without know how to correct it. I can watch baseball and know that the big lefty keeps giving up homeruns because he is hanging his offspeed stuff. That doesn't make me a pitching coach who knows how to correct the delivery, it just makes me someone who an observe the obvious.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
"and there aren’t many better wide receiver coaches in the nation than Billy Gonzales. "

AT WHAT? Teaching them to block. EVERY WIDE RECEIVER he coaches gets the label of "doesn't know route running." (Except Van Jefferson who probably knew in middle school.) That isn't a coincidence.

He isn't good at recruiting. WHAT IS HE GOOD AT?

And yet:

"If they struggle to get traction with young talent on the whole, look to the guy who built the staff. His permissiveness towards coaches underperforming their duties is the root issue in play."

BINGO.

SOS would say it wasn't the players fault, I should have coached him up or not put him out there. It is the same with the coaching staff.

"One would imagine none of this [piss poor OL recruiting] is anything Mullen doesn’t know, yet it hasn’t motivated him to do anything substantial to improve his team’s performance in recruiting offensive lineman. He’d rather be patient with his friend than do what it takes to optimize his team’s ability to play his style of football."

And BINGO again. He'd rather keep his friends employed than win football games. Creyer recognized the problem and hired and used Daz (retarded but a likeable recruiter) to fix the OL recruiting. But Creyer got physically ill when losing.

Mullen is very comfortable being a loser.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Is it time to panic about Florida's 2022 recruiting woes? - Read and Reaction

If you have been on Twitter today, you’ve probably seen a lot of ire directed at John Hevesy. That’s warranted given the frustration with Nelson’s commitment.

But at some point, we need to place the blame where it deserves to be: directly on Dan Mullen.

Mullen is the guy who built this staff. That includes bringing in Hevesy, a guy whose limitations he should know well since he’s been with Mullen since the Bowling Green days.

It also includes bringing and then keeping Todd Grantham, in what amounts to a year as a lame duck defensive coordinator. Either the defense plays well in 2021 and Grantham moves on to a head job or an NFL job, or the defense is average or bad and he’s let go. Perhaps not coincidently, Florida only has three commits on the defensive side of the ball (though its two highest commits are on defense).

Mullen is the guy who got a one-year show cause penalty for recruiting violations involving impermissible in-person contact with a prospect in Seattle. I actually have more of a problem with him recruiting in Seattle when he has trouble reeling in the talent in his own state than the recruiting violations, but if you’re going to get popped for violations, you should at least be gaining an advantage from them.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
"Can this be overcome?

I think the answer depends on what you mean by “overcome.” If you mean, can the Gators win an SEC Championship with this level of recruiting, the answer is a luke-warm maybe?

I figured when I looked at recent SEC history, I’d find a bunch of teams that have recruited in the 9-15 range who have won the SEC, but that’s not what I found. Auburn won the 2013 SEC Championship with recruiting classes ranked 6th, 5th, 11th and 10th. The Tigers also won in 2010 with classes ranked 9th, 21st, 23rd and 6th.

Of course, that team also had a transfer named Cam Newton at QB.

Other than that, the list of SEC Champions is just Alabama a ton, with one for Georgia and two for LSU over the past 11 years. Not surprisingly, Georgia and LSU have been the second and third most successful recruiting teams in the SEC over that timeframe. The Tide definitely set a standard that is difficult for any program to overcome, but the ones who are overcoming them are doing so with high-level recruiting of their own.

The path isn’t going to get any easier. Texas A&M has started to recruit better than the Gators on a year-to-year basis. Texas and Oklahoma are on the way. .....

And I go back to the definition of “overcome.” If you mean, can the Gators win SEC Championships and compete for playoff spots consistently, the answer is no."

This is the bottom line. It isn't happening. And it isn't happening four years from now either. It isn't happen until we get an elite coach and land three-four straight elite classes.

Otherwise, just more Mullening. And some of you clapping about 3-4 loss seasons and seeing "big improvment' over the last 3-4 loss guys.

"Mullen is 2-5 against LSU, Alabama and Georgia thus far. He’s going to have to start winning some of those to change my mind."

:lmao2: yeah, ole Douchebag Dan is killing it.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
"I don’t like to write, or, frankly, read articles that only serve the purpose of calling sports professionals bad at their job. Even the worst coaches and managers are usually vastly more well-versed in their respective sport than the author who decides to take potshots at them."

Here is the thing, it's fair to criticize millionaire professionals. And one can also criticize the obvious without know how to correct it. I can watch baseball and know that the big lefty keeps giving up homeruns because he is hanging his offspeed stuff. That doesn't make me a pitching coach who knows how to correct the delivery, it just makes me someone who an observe the obvious.
Donk are you feeling OK
I've never see this side of you.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
"
"If they struggle to get traction with young talent on the whole, look to the guy who built the staff. His permissiveness towards coaches underperforming their duties is the root issue in play."
I've said this before but it didn't seem to gain any traction.
When you don't demand perfection from yourself you accept less than perfection from your employees.
"Oh you don't like to recruit, that's okay neither do I".
"You'd rather spend time with your family instead of working. Hey me too".
Mullen doesn't have the work ethic to be an elite coach and that culture is reflected in his assistants.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
"Can this be overcome?

I think the answer depends on what you mean by “overcome.” If you mean, can the Gators win an SEC Championship with this level of recruiting, the answer is a luke-warm maybe?

I figured when I looked at recent SEC history, I’d find a bunch of teams that have recruited in the 9-15 range who have won the SEC, but that’s not what I found. Auburn won the 2013 SEC Championship with recruiting classes ranked 6th, 5th, 11th and 10th. The Tigers also won in 2010 with classes ranked 9th, 21st, 23rd and 6th.

Of course, that team also had a transfer named Cam Newton at QB.

Other than that, the list of SEC Champions is just Alabama a ton, with one for Georgia and two for LSU over the past 11 years. Not surprisingly, Georgia and LSU have been the second and third most successful recruiting teams in the SEC over that timeframe. The Tide definitely set a standard that is difficult for any program to overcome, but the ones who are overcoming them are doing so with high-level recruiting of their own.

The path isn’t going to get any easier. Texas A&M has started to recruit better than the Gators on a year-to-year basis. Texas and Oklahoma are on the way. .....

And I go back to the definition of “overcome.” If you mean, can the Gators win SEC Championships and compete for playoff spots consistently, the answer is no."

This is the bottom line. It isn't happening. And it isn't happening four years from now either. It isn't happen until we get an elite coach and land three-four straight elite classes.

Otherwise, just more Mullening. And some of you clapping about 3-4 loss seasons and seeing "big improvment' over the last 3-4 loss guys.

"Mullen is 2-5 against LSU, Alabama and Georgia thus far. He’s going to have to start winning some of those to change my mind."

:lmao2: yeah, ole Douchebag Dan is killing it.

Will is my brother from another mother. You can't win consistently if you don't out recruit consistently. Occasionally a 2nd tier team can win with a generational talent at QB. Last year could have been our year if we had literally any other P4 defensive coordinator.
Yeah the odds are against you beating superior talent.
THAT DOES NOT GIVE MULLEN AN EXCUSE FOR LOSING.
His fuching job is to out recruit the competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator