Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
And he cheated his way to success...which I appreciated because that was my first year of really watching college football.

But things may have changed a bit since then. Recruiting, NIL, transfer portal, TV contracts, NCAA neutered, etc.

This is no longer a "long-term rebuild" world in college football. It is a "what have you done for me lately" world. Any questions about how many coaches WITH national championships are out of coaching work?

There no excuse for coming into a decent roster and losing to UK and LSU based on their relative situations. Mm maybe LSU, but not the way it happened. And no excuse for USF taking us to the wire because we couldn't stop their offense.

This is coaching. Period.

Yes, drinking and, again, cathartic.
No my good man, Charlie Pell was not doing anything different that Ohio State, Bama, Tennessee, Michigan, Oklahoma, USC...were not also doing.

It was a crime what the NCAA and so called fans did to that man. And respectfully, you and some of the Gator Nation are trying to do now.

Okay, our defense is really bad but it's year 1. You don't think a coach as analytical as Napier will ignor the data for loyalty? He doesn't seem to with his players. Why with his coaches?

Let this play out. At least until Napier has a majority of Napier's players.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Napier doesn't exude the cocky arrogance of Mullen. I think there's a chance he can see what the problem is and fix it. It took him seven games, but Nayquan Wright is no longer the starting RB.
True.

But he is still running quick 5 yard slants on 3rd or 4th down and 4 or so yards to go with a QB who is awful at that throw. 7 games later and still no pass routes to a RB, sans as the outlet or check down. As an example, LSU saw and knew that Miller is horrendous in pass coverage man to man. So would did they do? On more than one occasion they isolated a back and/or a TE on him, and that particular player was the primary target on those plays. I have yet to see that. It is kind of like deja vu (all over again, circa Yogi Berra). These are our plays so we run them.

I don;t doubt that he can identify the problem. But his handling of certain in game decisions has not shown me that he can or will fix it. I think things will look a little different at the next game, but typically they do after 2 weeks off. The view of Karl won;t be for a half in the next game, but what transpires in games 9-12

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I didn’t say opportunity was king. I said our recruits are coming because of the opportunity. And I also said that even Bama uses opportunity as a selling point. But I’m more than sure it’s NOT their main selling point. It’s OUR main selling point as of now. And that’s what’s enticing those D Line recruits.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
The recruiting is positive because they can see the future.
back to the future GIF

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
And he cheated his way to success...which I appreciated because that was my first year of really watching college football.

But things may have changed a bit since then. Recruiting, NIL, transfer portal, TV contracts, NCAA neutered, etc.

This is no longer a "long-term rebuild" world in college football. It is a "what have you done for me lately" world. Any questions about how many coaches WITH national championships are out of coaching work?

There no excuse for coming into a decent roster and losing to UK and LSU based on their relative situations. Mm maybe LSU, but not the way it happened. And no excuse for USF taking us to the wire because we couldn't stop their offense.

This is coaching. Period.

Yes, drinking and, again, cathartic.
Just shut up. Obvious it was your first year cuz Pell was playing by the same rules as everybody else.
You might need to turn in your Gator card.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Just shut up. Obvious it was your first year cuz Pell was playing by the same rules as everybody else.
You might need to turn in your Gator card.
Thank you for missing my point.

I appreciated that Pell came from the Bama school and misunderestimated that UF would not be treated the same way as those that would be its judges.

My point was that this ain't the same college football world as 1979.

And **** you about my Gator card. I don't need you to judge my credentials...which you don't know.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Football is Football, whether it's 1979 or 2022. Pell had less to work with then Napier. Facilities, boosters, recruiting were in shambles. Truly a dumpster fire.

He won (BUILT) a NC at Clemson and the NCAA was gunning for him.
That's what they did.

NCAA DESTROYED SMU never to be heard from again. They tried to end UF ...TWICE.

Pell developed the private boosters, upgraded facilities, and recruited good talent. He worked the state tirelessly. Sound like sound like someone we know today?

It was GREAT to be a Florida Gator. "Wait till next year" soon faded.

Then probation, they got Pell and they got Hall. Enter Florida's favorite son...SOS.

And the rest is Gator history my friends.

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I didn’t say we would get more recruits. I said more would be interested. I think we’re ranked number 8 right now. If we close on McClain and the Bama guys we would jump to #3. But of course the other schools are closing on other kids as well. So we’d need a few more kids including those to close on a top 5 class.

The interest is there. They need to close.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Football is Football, whether it's 1979 or 2022. Pell had less to work with then Napier. Facilities, boosters, recruiting were in shambles. Truly a dumpster fire.

He won a NC at Clemson and the NCAA was gunning for him.
That's what they did.

Pell developed the private boosters, upgraded facilities, and recruited good talent. He worked the state tirelessly. Sound like sound like someone we know today?

Then probation, they got Pell and they got Hall. Enter Florida's favorite son...SOS.

Charley didn't win an NC at Tater. He was promoted from DC to HC in 1977, and they went to the Gator Bowl two straight seasons, he left for the UF job in late 1978, and Tater's OL coach at the time, Danny Ford, coached their team in the infamous 1978 Gator Bowl where Woody Hayes was exposed for the fraud that he was.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Charley didn't win an NC at Tater. He was promoted from DC to HC in 1977, and they went to the Gator Bowl two straight seasons, he left for the UF job in late 1978, and Tater's OL coach at the time, Danny Ford, coached their team in the infamous 1978 Gator Bowl where Woody Hayes was exposed for the fraud that he was.
It was his team

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

That's what they did.

Thanks for enlightening the newbies.
You had to be there during that era to truly see what happened. Pell brought the Bear Bryant tried and true model of success to UF and the powers that be crushed him for it.
People forget that certain individuals like Vince Dooley (as corrupt an individual as one could ever find in college athletics) wielded serious power and influence via committee memberships and such and they made sure that the sleeping giant stayed that way.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
That will be the decider, won't it. Keep your buddy who is failing or make the right decision. It is the difference between championship coaches and those that get a few years at the top.
I feel like we just saw a similar situation....cant put my finger on it though :dunno:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Thank you for missing my point.

I appreciated that Pell came from the Bama school and misunderestimated that UF would not be treated the same way as those that would be its judges.

My point was that this ain't the same college football world as 1979.

And **** you about my Gator card. I don't need you to judge my credentials...which you don't know.
I know. Oh, I know.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Thanks for enlightening the newbies.
You had to be there during that era to truly see what happened. Pell brought the Bear Bryant tried and true model of success to UF and the powers that be crushed him for it.
People forget that certain individuals like Vince Dooley (as corrupt an individual as one could ever find in college athletics) wielded serious power and influence via committee memberships and such and they made sure that the sleeping giant stayed that way.
Agreed. Look at the violations. Most of them were for giving recruits t-shirts. It was a witch hunt.

Mornengswede

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2017

That's what they did.

The NCAA has always been a corrupt organization used to help certain schools gain leverage over the competition through selective enforcement. Keeping UF “the sleeping giant” down was an obvious priority. Can’t wait until they are fully obsolete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator