Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Once the childhood devotion to a particular school went extinct, where's the guiding light for us fans to feel proud about corralling a particular player.? It has been a nextasary loss, inevitable, but what can we grasp to fill that deficit.? We warm to the sight of alumni returning to declare the sweetness of their UF experience, so the absence of any player's prior devotion must downgrade our enjoyment.?? All this is a stab-statement of not much purpose -- just rambling thoughts on this the protracted course of these recruiting events

Would not it be great if Nap's coaching style worked toward naturally enhancing school loyalty (just the opposite of Mullen's style).? Along with that, would follow the strengthening bonds to Florida high school programs. Let's get back to where we belong = ruling the whole state. Grow Gators.!

Last edited:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Once the childhood devotion to a particular school went extinct, where's the guiding light for us fans to feel proud about corralling a particular player.? It has been a nextasary loss, inevitable, but what can we grasp to fill that deficit.? We warm to the sight of alumni returning to declare the sweetness of their UF experience, so the absence of any player's prior devotion must downgrade our enjoyment.?? All this is a stab-statement of not much purpose -- just rambling thoughts on this the protracted course of these recruiting events

Would not it be great if Nap's coaching style worked toward naturally enhancing school loyalty (just the opposite of Mullen's style).? Along with that, would follow the strengthening bonds to Florida high school programs. Let's get back to where we belong = ruling the whole state. Grow Gators.!
It's mostly mercenaries now. Players and coaches.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nobody threw the ball into the dirt better than Doug. Simple Dig or Slant and the ball was destined to land at the receivers feet.
Swing pass knee level and behind the receiver was patent pending

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There’s a gentleman from Oviedo on line 3. Says it’s urgent he speaks with you.

5xymk9twmu021.png

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Nobody threw the ball into the dirt better than Doug. Simple Dig or Slant and the ball was destined to land at the receivers feet.

I thought Ingle Martin was the one that threw it into the dirt short all the time. Doug Johnson would throw everything as hard as he could and often over threw and high.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I thought Ingle Martin was the one that threw it into the dirt short all the time. Doug Johnson would throw everything as hard as he could and often over threw and high.

I think Martin only got like one complete game in ‘03, so it’s tough to remember. But basically, they all threw it into the dirt, or crazy high. Never on point. How we beat the noles in ‘97, I have no idea. I truly think Johnson threw one good pass the whole game. Same with games like ut in ‘12 and ‘14, and fsu in ‘12. Watch those games in full and you’d swear we’re losing by 60.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think Martin only got like one complete game in ‘03, so it’s tough to remember. But basically, they all threw it into the dirt, or crazy high. Never on point. How we beat the noles in ‘97, I have no idea. I truly think Johnson threw one good pass the whole game. Same with games like ut in ‘12 and ‘14, and fsu in ‘12. Watch those games in full and you’d swear we’re losing by 60.
Well to be fair, Spurrier was basically coaching them up before each snap by rotating them. So there was an 80% chance they knew exactly how the play would form up.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018

I remember the Doug Johnson era well. It was a lot like the Brantley era. Not that they were similar QBs, just that they followed legends and didnt maintain what was started for them. Dougie always thought he could fit the ball in there. No touch...all muscle. Never again to see a beautiful corner fade we had taken for granted, but instead ball speeds reaching subsonic speed on 5 yard routes. Safeties 10 yards behind the crossing receiver in perfect position for most of the Dougie thrown interceptions.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Well to be fair, Spurrier was basically coaching them up before each snap by rotating them. So there was an 80% chance they knew exactly how the play would form up.

That’s where DJ was a little more egregious. He had Spurrier, while Brantley and Driskel had a combination of disasters coaching them. Then again, we also never sank to the lows under Johnson that we experienced with the other two, so it probably about balances out. Anyway, cool of us to start the week on such a a positive note.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That’s where DJ was a little more egregious. He had Spurrier, while Brantley and Driskel had a combination of disasters coaching them. Then again, we also never sank to the lows under Johnson that we experienced with the other two, so it probably about balances out. Anyway, cool of us to start the week on such a a positive note.
The floor was really set by Brindise, which sounds ridiculous looking back

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Elijah Rushing's brother, Cruz Rushing, is our latest PWO. George Rushing's son. Expect Elijah to flip from Oregon to us.

His brother is a 2024 guy.

Last edited:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

And DJ got blasted 2 nights before the LSU game that ruined our 1997 season and gave Manning an SEC title.

I always thought baseball screwed him up a bit mentally (focus & $$$) and physically (along with that late hit spear to his shoulder blade.) All of that is a lot to handle at 18-19, especially in that era. I like him as a person. And that 1997 f$u game was one of my top 2-3 games ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator