Gator Baseball 2024 Baseball Thread; Gators wasting Caglione

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Garrison walks, Kurland single. Cags up. 2 outs. Pitching change. 10 run rule is in effect. Question, if Gators do not end game here, do you pull Slater and given Satin or Menendez some work just to see what they might have or are you too nervous with an 8 run lead?

Cags grounds out, Slater returns. No lead is deemed safe, apparently.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Heyman singles, Shelton singles, Evans grounds out, runners on 2nd and 3rd, Shelnut walks, bases loaded 1 out. Pitchiing change. Thomas Sac Fly, 9-0. Garrison doubles to LF. Game over 10-0.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Gators win series, but issues were really exposed. St. Marys is pretty good, not SEC top good, but I would say right now St. Marys is as good as scrotUM. Good pitching and hitting and an older team, but did not take St. Marys to expose UF's pitching woes. They have been super obvious.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@FireFoley thanks for the play by play and the color! Would’ve been even better if Sausage would’ve made an appearance, even if just to warm up the OF or take a water to the ump.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
@FireFoley thanks for the play by play and the color! Would’ve been even better if Sausage would’ve made an appearance, even if just to warm up the OF or take a water to the ump.
You are welcome. I will be expecting a check in the mail. Otherwise you all can go back to listening to that douche bag CarBozo.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds like the Shelnut kid is tearing the cover off the ball.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Sounds like the Shelnut kid is tearing the cover off the ball.
Well considering he was suspended for the mid week game for being an AZZhat last weekend, and he was hitless in the first 2 games this weekend,. let's hope he is getting hot at the plate at the right time.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Gators win series, but issues were really exposed. St. Marys is pretty good, not SEC top good, but I would say right now St. Marys is as good as scrotUM. Good pitching and hitting and an older team, but did not take St. Marys to expose UF's pitching woes. They have been super obvious.
What is apparent to date is Cags is the stopper, the ace. I hope Sully does not change the rotation as I have tickets for next Sunday for the obvious reason of seeing Cags on the bump. We need our other weekend starters to give 5 to 7 innings of solid pitching, to help our inexperienced bullpen. We cannot count on Slater, Jameson and Neely (?) to carry all the water.

We can rake the ball across everyone in the line-up. Pitching must get deeper, now?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
What is apparent to date is Cags is the stopper, the ace. I hope Sully does not change the rotation as I have tickets for next Sunday for the obvious reason of seeing Cags on the bump. We need our other weekend starters to give 5 to 7 innings of solid pitching, to help our inexperienced bullpen. We cannot count on Slater, Jameson and Neely (?) to carry all the water.

We can rake the ball across everyone in the line-up. Pitching must get deeper, now?
And fast.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

Cags has been our best starter by far, but I do not want him moved from the Sunday starter Here is my reasoning. He is a great Sunday starter in his current form so should give us a leg up against most SEC Sunday starters. Secondly, his bat is vital (whether they pitch to him or not), so I would hate for him to be moved to Friday night starting pitcher and possibly get shelled or have one of his wild outings, thus affecting him in other ways for the rest of the weekend. This way he can be full on concentrated for being a 1B and hitter for two straight days, then he can turn his attention to pitching on the last day. Nice having him to try to win the series or possibly sweep (unlikely) or Gawd forbid keep from getting swept.

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Now is my definition of fast. We either get more reliable pitching at starter and relief or we are going to be a mid level SEC team this season. Where is Sproat and Waldrep when you need them:eek:
The funny thing is that barring the rarest of occasions, both Sproat and Waldrep seldom went past 6 innings b/c they were strikeout pitchers for the most part, along with being a little wild, so they always had high pitch counts around inning 6 or 7. The difference is they were pure battlers and we were still fully in or somewhat in the game even if they were not great. With Fisher and Peterson, I am not sure that will be the case when the real teams show up starting next weekend and going forward. But from my earlier post, I do not want to move Cags from Sunday starter.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
So what you're saying is, our pitching is currently our Achilles heel.

Noted :grin:
No I am saying our pitching this season, both starters and relief, must improve to compete, unlike last season where our starting pitching and key relief pitching was enough to take us thru the CWS to the championship game.

Hopefully this is clear to you!
Cags has been our best starter by far, but I do not want him moved from the Sunday starter Here is my reasoning. He is a great Sunday starter in his current form so should give us a leg up against most SEC Sunday starters. Secondly, his bat is vital (whether they pitch to him or not), so I would hate for him to be moved to Friday night starting pitcher and possibly get shelled or have one of his wild outings, thus affecting him in other ways for the rest of the weekend. This way he can be full on concentrated for being a 1B and hitter for two straight days, then he can turn his attention to pitching on the last day. Nice having him to try to win the series or possibly sweep (unlikely) or Gawd forbid keep from getting swept.

I'm with you. He is showing the potential of being one of the most dominant starting pitchers for this year. The question of Friday vs Sunday is an interesting question and I doubt Sully is consulting with anyone to change things up. He appears to be almost as stubborn as the current football coach, yuk.

If I was HC I would have a one on one mtg with Cags and would ask him where he would be most comfortable as the teams ace? Friday or stay at Sunday? It is a legitimate discussion with a player of his caliber and he deserves input. You pointed out all of the legitimate reasons for keeping him as the Sunday starter which I understand and agree with.

The pro of Friday night is he is totally rested and can go as long as he can go, six to eight, 100 pitches! He really dosen't throw the ball much from first so arm stress may not matter. Is having his legs fresh on Friday a way to make him even better than he was at Miami and today. It is worth discussing IMO. My unanswered question is he less effective on the bump Sunday after 18 innings in the field thru the weekend.

We probably will not get an answer to this because Sully has made up his mind and won't be looking for a different opinion even though he may be looking for a different starter on Friday or Saturday.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It was a beautiful day at the ball park yesterday. The game was a lot of fun. Honestly that is all I ask for on a Sunday afternoon game. The fact that we were aggressively going for the mercy rule in the 8th kept it entertaining.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Thanks for doing this FF. I dont get to watch many games live.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
cags went from one of our least reliable options last year to essentially our ONLY reliable (and dominant) option this year.

other guys need to start carrying their weight. too much talent on the roster to be this freaking awful at pitching.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
St. Marys is the best team we have played this year and can freaking hit. There top 4 hitters are SEC caliber and showed it. Young guys gotta start hitting the black with the off speed and stay out of the middle of the plate generally speaking. They sat FB Friday and Saturday which was smart. But Cags with the improvement of the change up had them completely screwed in their timing. The combo in baseball is a well located FB and a good change right behind it and he has it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.